“Great salad bar but otherwise average”
Review of The Helm

The Helm
Ranked #12 of 27 Restaurants in Rockport
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We actually ate at the Helm twice on our trip....once for lunch and once for dinner. For lunch we had the clam chowder which was delicious and filling. We had noticed a beautiful salad bar but were not hungry enough to try it. The service was good. When we returned for dinner 2 weeks later with the salad bar in mind. And we were not disappointed! The salad bar is a throw back to something not seen where I live for 20 years! It was kept very clean and had so many fresh and tempting options I was amazed! I should have just stuck with the salad bar and I would have given the restaurant higher reviews. But I chose the steamed mussels and clam dinner. The mussels were good but the clams were not cleaned properly and were so gritty and tough I could not eat them. A big disappointment! The service was good but she never asked why I didn't eat the clams and I think that is part of being a good server. Still I think I would return for the chowder and salad bar for sure!

Reviewed 14 October 2013

We ate at The Helm Friday night and liked it so much, we went back Saturday night with friends and enjoyed another delicious meal. Definitely would recommend.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

The restaurant is just up the street from our motel it's closed on Tues. The food is good. It has a salad bar. Good dessert's.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Stopped by with 15 people in our group, they quickly set us up in back room. Fun servers, like a diner. Family fare, large portions, good value for the money. Nothing fancy, but just what we were looking for. Attentive service, good food. No one left hungry.

1  Thank vtcruiser
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We've always heard that some of the best food is found at the restaurants the local residents frequent. After having eaten at The Helm for many weeks in the summer, we've seen the same customers again and again, as well as tourists. Its main attraction for us is the super salad bar, chock full of a variety of greens, raw and marinated veggies, potato and macaroni salads, hard-boiled eggs, cottage and shredded cheeses, fruit, bacon bits and croutons among other things. Several choices of dressings are available. Salad and meals come with a basket of fresh, hot bread.
There are daily specials that include a diverse range of foods, such as hot open-faced sandwiches, meat loaf, stew, full-plate entrees, and sandwiches. A couple different types of soup are always offered. Top that off with something from the loaded dessert cart and you'll see why people keep coming back!
A meal out is always better when the service is excellent, and it is so at The Helm. Since we usually go at the same time, we usually have the same servers - two friendly and caring ladies who always make us feel right at home. We really miss The Helm when they close a few months in the winter.