“Not impressed”

Claddagh Motel & Suites
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Rockport
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I am blown away by all the good reviews after having stayed here. As a tourism professional, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Pros - location on Route 1 in Rockport, which was about halfway on our roadtrip for the day. The coffee pot was full size.

Cons - I travel a lot and as a travel professional am always given a room upgrade, if available. Although there appeared to be only one other guest during my stay, I was giving the two-bed room I booked, no upgrade. I think it was room 107. I wonder why I wasn't given a nicer room. Window overlooked parking lot. The room and bedding had a musty gramma's attic smell. The bathroom was 1950's with no upgrades or conveniences. This is a big no-no in my book. (Days following on trip I had nicer, less expensive rooms with modernized bathrooms.) Looked like a shower curtain liner had been cut to cover the window. The bathroom door didn't close completely. The lighting was poor.
The Irish theme is carried to extreme in the reception area. The breakfast is not "deluxe" as advertised. The additional scones brought out were still semi-frozen.
Alex was a very talkative man but with his Irish accent was sometimes hard to understand.
I feel the $100 I paid was too much.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
lacks, Owner at Claddagh Motel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2011

I am very sorry that this guest was not impressed with her accommodation. We strive for 100% guest satisfaction at all times. Our motel is based on an Irish Cottage theme with painted beams,patchwork quilts etc! Our rooms are all shown on our website so what you see is what you get. Our bathrooms are all the original but are very well maintained ,spotlessly clean and very functional. I am so sorry that she got a musty smell off the bed linens. I don't understand this as all sheets are washed daily. We are constantly doing laundry from pillows,mattress pads,comforters etc! I do apologise as I would be very upset if I got a musty smell off the bed linens while staying in a motel. I am baffled though how this happened. This particular room was occupied every night eventhough the motel was quiet at this time ,immediately after Labor Day. As for continental breakfast,we offer a variety of cold foods from bagels, muffins, cereal, fruits etc! The scones we have to special order from a local baker. We order large batches at a time and freeze them. One never knows what the demand will be like from day to day, so for that reason we have a microwave in the breakfast area for guests to use in case they are semi frozen. Our office has a variety of Irish memorabelia,most of which was given to us over the years from guests and staff.We have so many repeat customers that we wouldn't like to offend anyone so we have all their gifts/contributions displayed. Finally,the particular room in question faces out to a grassy area with tables and chairs, separated from the parking lot by a white picket fence and arbors. We appreciate all reviews as we continue to strive to give the best we possibly can.

Reviewed 9 September 2011

Our room was like an Irish country cottage you'd find in Ireland. The bed linens and bath towels were first class..the mattress just right...the decor simply lovely.

Wonderful Irish tea and delicious scones were our favorites in the sunny breakfast room.

Alex and Siobahn were warm and welcoming and very helpful in helping us plan our itinerary. We plan to go back again and advise anyone staying in that area that you can't beat the Claddagh Motel and Suites for value!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank teacherhs
Reviewed 21 August 2011

We stayed at the Claddgh Motel in a Suite. It was lovely, very clean, and felt like we were at home. Everyone was wonderful and we loved staying at the Motel. We would definetly come back again to stay.

Reviewed 13 August 2011

We have stayed at the Claddagh Motel & Suites several times over the past 3-4 years. This place is very charming and homey with clean rooms and LOTS of hot water. In the morning we love to sit and chat with other guests from all over while having Irish Tea buscuits and coffee-a part of their free continental breakfast. Alex and Siobhan are wonderful hosts, very friendly and always taking care of our every request. We wouldn"t think of staying anywhere else when we come to this area.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dennis S
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Would love to start the review by thanking Alex (the owner) and his wife (forgot her name) by providing class A service to my family and friends.

We stayed in Maine for 3 nights (Sat , Aug 6 - Tue, Aug 10), came down for lobster festival and sightseeing. The motel is right on route 1, it's 5 minute drive from centre of rockport, rockland, camden. 10 min to Owl's head lighthouse and museum and 2 hours scenic drive to Bar Harbor and Acadia.

Aside the fact that location is perfect, the owner is very accomodating, him and his wife are running around the little grounds all day long, greeting guests, serving excellent breakfasts, checking towels in the pool and other little things that not all owners are willing to do.

They keep motel how the good owners look out for their business. I would definitely come back to this motel again and would recommend it to all my friends.

Paul aka "The Bartender"

2  Thank odeccut
Reviewed 11 August 2011

I couldn't help but note someone gave the Claddagh a less than wonderful review. They must have had their motels confused for there are others nearby. I bring my family to stay here whenever we are in Maine, and I wouldn't for a moment consider staying anywhere else. Rooms are very clean. Ample hot water for the family. Located in a wonderful and lovely part of Maine. And Alex and Siobhan are the most gracious and attentive people. Hospitality was simply outstanding.

1  Thank JP2Tulsa
Reviewed 10 August 2011

A group of 8 of us stayed at this hotel August 6 -9, 2011. The rooms were very clean and cozy. Grounds and facilities are immaculate. The breakfast was plentiful and the owner Alex very helpful and friendly. We will be back and recommend this experience to everyone. Thanks Alex and Siobhan, we have really enjoyed our stay with you.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Annushka10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockport
Strawberry Hill Seaside Inn
#8 of 10 in Rockport
Ledges By the Bay
Ledges By the Bay
#4 of 10 in Rockport

Been to Claddagh Motel & Suites? Share your experiences!