“Great stay at the Country Inn”

The Country Inn at Camden / Rockport
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Rockport
Reviewed 7 October 2008

We just got back to Louisville, KY from our stay at the Country Inn. I shared a cottage suite with my wife , son 19 & daughter 22.
We found the cottage comfortable for the four of us. It had a small microwave, small fridge, table & chairs and TWO TVS.
Each room had separate wall thermostats. My son & I enjoy a swin in the large indoor pool. The hot tub was HOT! We liked that.
The continental breakfast was as expected. Our only disappointment was very minor.........weak coffee. We walked next door to a gas station for morning coffee. The afternoon tea was an extra treat. Tea, lemonade, cheese and an assortment of cupcakes or brownies for two hours every afternoon.
We used the computer every afternoon to check email. Fresh cookies were placed near our bed each night . What a great idea!
Also the front desk staff were very helpful. My son needed homework faxed to the hotel. No problem!
My parents also stayed in a suite inside the inn while we were there. They also enjoyed the inn.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank rppuckfan

Reviewed 10 August 2008

During our stay at the Country Inn a convicted sex offender was able to gain access to the indoor pool and spa where he made contact with my teenager. This offender would have walked right past the front desk on entry. I contacted the owner (and the Rockport Police) to explain what had happened. He did not acknowledge my letter, let alone apologize. I would advise families to steer clear of the Country Inn.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank xtexnmass
billhahn, Owner/Manager at The Country Inn at Camden / Rockport, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2008

When this incident was reported in January, I immediately took steps,both in house and with the local police, to ensure that the individual in question would be barred from our property in future,. We take our guests' needs very seriously and make every effort to provide a safe and secure environment; to meet our goal of perfection in this regard requires the ongoing cooperation and assistance of all, management, staff, and our clients.

Reviewed 19 July 2008

We were so excited about staying here after reading about the cookies, afternoon tea, continental breakfast and seeing how lovely the rooms looked on their website. I think the website offers an accurate description and depiction of the rooms, and the cookies and breakfast were wonderful!

My boys (10 and 12) loved this place and didn't want to leave. They loved how they had their own area. We had Cabin # 7 which had a little table and chairs, a trundle bed, TV and chair in the corner with a fridge and sink in one room. In the other room was a king-sized bed and the bath is off of this room. The only problem with this set up is that the kids needed to come through our area to use the bathroom. Not a big deal for us for the three nights we stayed there, but I would have preferred the bath be off their area. A few drawbacks were that we found three spiders our first night, and I have EXTREME arachnophobia. Yes, there are spiders in Maine - I've been staying in Vermont all my life during the summers, so I know this is something that can happen, but I really don't like finding them INSIDE. Once we got rid of them, I didn't see any others for the rest of our stay. But I was sort of freaked out the first night and had a bit of trouble falling asleep. The worst part is that the King-sized bed was HORRIBLE. My husband and I (he's 38 and I'm 44) were in so much pain the first two days, we nearly checked out early. But the boys loved it there, so we stuck it out. It was a very old mattress (at least it looked and felt it). If you look at the pics, even with my hubby laying on the side, you can still see how it dips in the middle. Also, they need better room-darkening shades. You can see in a few of my pics that they are just light blinds, and they let all the light in.

The cabin was very clean and in nice condition. The floor was tilted a bit, so when we pulled out the lower part of the trundle bed, it kept sliding towards the TV. The balcony was very nice. It just faces the main inn and the yard, but it's still nice to be able to go out and sit and read or just relax. We had our own little parking space right next to our cabin, which was nice, too. Each evening, they would bring warm chocolate chip cookies to your room. Nice touch.

We were in the cabin furthest from the main inn (which houses the indoor pool), but it was a nice little walk down a gravel pathway, and we didn't mind it at all. Of course, we had great weather, so that helps. The pool was really nice, and the boys loved it. Being there early in the season, they either had it to themselves or there was only one other family in there each time we were in there.

The continental breakfast was very nice. Not a huge selection, but the make your own waffles was a bit hit with our boys. Between the fruit, muffins, waffles and cereals, we were all set for the day. The afternoon tea was very nice, too, with goodies set out in the late afternoon.

The a/c was a bit loud, but nothing that kept me awake at night. I actually slept better with the a/c on, because having the windows open, even though you are set quite aways back from Rte. 1, the traffic can keep you awake if you are a light sleeper.

The TV's didn't have very clear reception. Not sure if it was like that for everyone. The people at the front desk were very nice and helpful, too. I did mention the bed issue, because it really was the only part of our stay that would make me hesitate to recommend this place to anyone else or make me not want to stay here again. They did physically write the info down, but follow-up is what will mean something. So if you are in Cabin #7, you may want to make sure they've updated the mattress.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank doozer82
billhahn, Owner/manager at The Country Inn at Camden / Rockport, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2008

I would like to thank this guest for pointing out problem with their bed. We investigated and found that box spring supports had fallen out of place which resulted in deflection of the mattress and spring. It has been repaired.

Reviewed 10 August 2007

Had a 2 night stay here after a few days rafting the Kennebec and Penobscot.. It is outstanding and exceeds my expectations. I am a regular Marriott/Hilton user Rooms have a seperate annexe with a sofa bed plus 2 doubles in the main room
Breakfast is good and afternoon tea which was unexpected is great . The public areas are airy and roomy. Free wifi thoughout

The indoor pool and jacuzzi kept the kids occupied for a couple of hours and the small gym was as good as most Hiltons.

We paid $174 direct with the hotel well worth it including the family dog. The rooms have no hint of pet.

We have been impressed with the area and this hotel is a great way to experience Rockport and Camden

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank Peebles123
Reviewed 7 September 2006

Just got back from a wonderful 10 day stay at the Country Inn. We were very impressed as soon as we arrived with the condition and quality of the inn. All the staff were friendly, welcoming and extremely helpful at all times. We stayed in a "cottage" behind the main building, which was in a lovely setting among trees and well away from the road. The main building was also set back, so traffic noise was not a problem. The cottage was furnished in a quaint/traditional style with handmade quilts and beautiful solid wood furniture. We had a bedroom with 2 queen beds as well as a living area and bathroom and balcony. There were 2 tv's and 2 telephones. We parked directly outside our cottage. Our cottage and all the public areas were extremely clean and nicely decorated - it really was as nice as it looks on the website.
A sumptuous breakfast was laid out in the library area every morning which included fruit, yoghurts, muffins, toast, bagels, homemade cakes and quiches, hot and cold drinks and cereals. It was all served in china crockery and with hand made napkins.
A smaller selection of cakes were served with drinks in the afternoon - great for filling a hole before dinner.
Also - a lovely surprise - each evening our beds were turned down and 4 freshly made cookies were left in our cottage with a note about the next day's weather forecast - little touches that were greatly appreciated.
The indoor pool was great for adults and children. It was clean, quiet, had nice changing rooms and towels were provided. Also there was a HOT hot tub, which we enjoyed.
The location of the Inn is on Route 1 betweem Camden & Rockport - very handy for exploring the Mid coast of Maine. It was 1 1/2 hours drive from Portland and 3 1/2 hours from Boston. The whole area is beautiful and we found plenty to do during the 10 days we were there.
We would definitely recommend the Country Inn for a quiet getaway or a family holiday.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
5  Thank alirocker
Reviewed 1 August 2006

We were so pleasantly surprised by the extraordinary hospitality of this inn!

We have five people in our family, so many b&b's cannot easily accommodate us, but the personal touch that this inn provides is comparable or even exceeds that of many b&b establishments: fabulous continental breakfast (we had quiche, eggs benedict, french toast, fresh breads, muffins and pastries, yogurt, fresh fruit-including Maine blueberries!- lots of cereals, bagels)...the afternoon tea: crudites and dip, nuts, crackers and cheese, cake, brownies, iced tea and lemonade...and the chocolate cookies hand delivered in the evenings!

The cottages have two rooms including microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker with pretty quilted comforters. Ours had a trundle bed and two queen beds. The pool and exercise room were very nice, and the mini golf next door was a plus!

The staff went above and beyond suggesting restaurants and activities that worked out perfectly for our family.

We took a lunchtime schooner yacht cruise that served lobster rolls right on board! A van came to the inn to pick us up and we got a $12 discount on each ticket.

One evening we were having so much fun in the pool, that we didn't notice how late it was getting. The kids really wanted to go mini golfing, so the manager on duty called over there and even though it was about to close, they stayed open just so we could play! How's that for service!

The Bayview Lobster Restaurant was also recommended in town, and we had our first ever whole lobster dinner for the reasonable price of $14.99 each!

We enthusiastically give The Country Inn a "thumbs up!" What a lovely stay!

Stayed: July 2006
1  Thank Buddylumpkin
Reviewed 26 July 2006

My husband and I just recently spent a weekend at The Country Inn. The staff was fantastic. We had the fireplace suite which was absolutely adorable. Everything was clean. The choc. chip cookies were not only a nice touch, but they were sooo yummy! I would return to this place in an instant. Everyone was so friendly. The breakfast was included and it was certainly ample: coffee, juice, bagels, cereal, muffins, etc. The location is perfect...right between the main towns of Rockport & Camden. Don't hesitate to book this place!

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NoKidsTravelLots
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockport
Camden Riverhouse Hotel and Inns
#1 of 3 in Rockland
Grand Harbor Inn
Grand Harbor Inn
#1 of 10 in Camden

Been to The Country Inn at Camden / Rockport? Share your experiences!