“Awesome views”
Review of Mount Kineo

Mount Kineo
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Rockwood
More attraction details
Owner description: A tip of a small peninsula rising almost 800 feet and located on the eastern side of Moosehead Lake.
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My husband and I took the Indian Trail on our way up to the observation tower. Views along this route are awesome. It was a difficult climb in some spots. Wear proper shoes and bring water. The trail is marked fairly well with blue paint on the trees. We descended using the Bridal Trail which is a little easier. My only complaint about this excursion is the outrageous price that is charged for the water shuttle. $10.00 per person for a 5 minute ride. That cost does at least cover your return trip. Waterway Robbery!!! I would still recommend doing this hike as the views are totally worth it.

2  Thank Orcalvr

Reviewed 31 January 2014

Mount Kineo is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited and is a must-see for people visiting the Rockwood or Moosehead Lake area. This is the perfect place to do a day hike, and there is also a 9-hole golf course on the peninsula. Most people visiting Kineo take the ferry, which is a small pontoon boat, but since I am more of the adventurous type, I took my kayak over from the Rockwood boat ramp where the ferry is, and camped out at Hardscrabble Point, which is about a 2.7 mile paddle to the northern tip of the peninsula and has about 3 or 4 campsites with a privy. If people decide to paddle over though, definitely take caution and pay attention to the roughness of the water because the wind can pick up speed pretty quickly, and can make the crossing very difficult and unsafe. I luckily, did not have any issues on this part, but once I got to Hardscrabble Point, I set up my campsite and took a few minutes to eat lunch. Hardscrabble Point is an awesome spot to stay for the night and offers awesome views of the lake. This is also where the Carriage and North Trails meet. The first time I visited Kineo, I took the North Trail, which starts off flat, but then becomes very steep, so I would not recommend this for people who are not used to hiking/climbing steep terrain. It is still very doable, but towards the top, attention needs to be paid to footing and hand placement in a couple of spots. The second time I visited Kineo, I started off taking the Carriage Trail, which is flat and follows the outside edge of the peninsula to the Bridle and Indian Trails. I have not taken the Indian Trail, but the Bridle Trail is much easier than the North Trail, and is better for those who are looking for something less strenuous. People still need to be careful on this trail, especially after it rains, because the trail can be slippery and muddy in some places. Once people get to the top of the trail, this is where the Indian Trail meets with the Bridle Trail, and there is a really cool lookout spot where people can enjoy an awesome view of Moosehead Lake. From this point, there is a short 0.4 mile hike to the summit, where there is an old fire tower that people can climb to the top of and get breathtaking views of the entire lake and surrounding mountains. The second time I hiked Kineo, I did it just as the sun was setting, so it was a little dark, but still an awesome experience nonetheless. It does get windy up there, so dress appropriately, although I did go during the Summer, so it was not that bad. By the time I hiked back down, it was pitch dark, which can be a little tricky, but I did have my headlight, so it was't much of a problem. I do recommend bringing plenty of water and a couple of snacks, if people are planning on making a day out of it, but there is a place to grab snacks and water at the clubhouse on the golf course right near the ferry dock. I do not golf, but if people are coming for the golf course, it still offers spectacular views.

4  Thank mdizz08
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We took the boat over to Mt Kineo to hike, We went up Bridal Trail wich was easy with no views but the foliage was nice. We came down Inidan Trail, the views were spectacular! It was not diffucult, we did it with an 8 year old and it took about an hour. Watch for the bald eagle.

7  Thank e0103
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

Having rented a house and seeing the majestic mt kineo every day. We decided to hike up the mountain. Word of caution here. Bring proper footwear, plenty of water and a MAP. What we anticipated being a 1-2 hour hike turned into 5 hour treck scaling rock around the whole mountainside. The signs here do not give route distance and it's easy to take a wrong turn and end up on the other side of the mountain. Otherwise the views are beautiful.

5  Thank Anna B
Reviewed 27 September 2013

It was an easy hike with great stops along the way. The trail is well marked and there is a great lookout once on top. We hiked with our 10 month old son to the top via the difficult trail with no problem. The shuttle from Rockwood to Kineo was enjoyable too. Stop at Auntie M's in Greenville at some point and see what the resorts at Kineo looked like at one point.

3  Thank willaa14