“Rustic is good...dirty is not.”
Review of The Birches Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rockwood
The Birches Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rockwood
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Given the magnificent view of Moosehead Lake from our cozy log cottage one would think the innkeepers would pay more attention to the condition of their bedding. My pillow had years worth of drool, sweat and whatever on it. It was covered by a threadbare pillow case. The blankets were pilled and not clean. All of the linens were mismatched polyester (yard sale finds?). I had to use a towel to cover the pillow just to fall asleep. Eeeee-uuuw!

Be prepared to wash the night off by taking a giant step up into the shower...about a foot off the ground. I'm told this is due to frost concerns. The bathroom was dimly lighted and the usual amenities were not available.

We spent 2 nighttime hours listening to the barking dog in the next cabin. The staff did finally see to it that the dog was quieted. The dog was fine, the dog owners were morons.

On the up side, the restaurant and it's staff were wonderful. The food was good down east fare...comfort food. The turkey dinner was as good as mom's. Large portions too.

When we first walked in to the log cabin and saw the lovely stone fireplace we though we had found cozy heaven. We did not.

At $200 a night we expected cozy and clean. Nice cotton sheets with washable cotton quilts would have made this a place to revisit.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank harleytravelers234

Reviewed 11 September 2011

We were staying in Greenville, Maine and decided to take a drive to Rockwood to see what they offered for dinner. We stumbled upon the Birches Resort as there is not much to choose upon there. When we got to the restaurant area at first it just said office. We weren't sure if we were at the restaurant but went in to ask. They said yes its through the door and off to left. The room was beautiful, had a nice lodge feel to it, had a big fireplace and big picture windows overlooking the lake. We thought we hit the jackpot. Waitress brought over water and it was horrible. It was so horrible that my friend, who never orders a drink to save costs, ordered a ginger ale (now that says something). I ordered the spinach salad and friend ordered haddock. The waitress came out a few minutes later and told me she could not serve the spinach as it had gone bad (at least she was honest). I got regular salad and that was not very good either. I could only eat about a quarter of it. My friend though the haddock was ok. Oh and they charge for refills on the soda, how ludicrous. The glass was very small. Maybe that is why they serve such terrible water.

We took brochures on the cabins but after reading some reviews on here I know now I will not stay in any of them. One thing I dislike is dark and dingy. And they sound just like that.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank foodfancierEastCoast
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We didn't stay at the resort - but we came up from Sebec to do a moose tour for the family. It was 3 hours of fun. Took a nice tour around Kineo & the lake, and then into some of the bogs to look for Moose. We didn't actually see any, but that isn't the fault of the tour lol. We had fun, and would certainly go again in the future.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Katie C
Reviewed 14 July 2011

I looked into staying at The Birches - but quickly realized that it was too primitive for me. Shared baths, no a/c, pets allowed are NOT for me. We stayed at Chalet Moosehead in Greenville in a Deluxe room (read my review of that for Moosehead area's definition of Deluxe) but we did their Moose Cruise. It was very nice, not too many people and we saw moose. The pilot/guide was friendly and they invited my children to the beach campfire even though we weren't staying at the Birches. A friendly place, and if you are expecting primitive lodgings, it may be the place for you.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 March 2011

My husband and I stayed one night at The Birches while on a week long snowmobiling tour through Maine. It was our last night before returning home and what we hoped was going to be the highlight of our trip. Instead it turned out to be the worst stay of our trip. We stayed in lodge room #4. The staircase to get to the rooms is tricky enough to maneuver with luggage but we also encountered a large bucket placed in the middle of the stairway, supposedly to catch water. We didn't see any sign of water but the bucket was still there the next morning. Not only was this an inconvenience but it was dangerous. There are four lodge rooms that share one bathroom. That's a lot of people sharing one small bathroom. The bathroom is old and the rugs on the floor looked dirty and worn. The shower curtain was stained. The next morning I went to use the bathroom and it was it occupied. After looking around I found one downstairs near the bar and was appalled it had not been cleaned from the night before. It was dirty and trash spilled out of the garbage can onto the floor. The lodge room itself was decent. The best part about the room was the slider that looked out over Moosehead Lake. The room beside ours was rented by two men who went to bed leaving their door wide open and proceeded to snore the entire night. What totally amazes me is the Birches charge $131 for this room. You've got to be kidding me - no wonder they weren't full on a Friday night.
We went to dinner at their restaurant. Both our meals were cold when we got them. The waitress was nowhere to be seen. We finally flagged the hostess and she returned our meals to the kitchen to be warmed. When the dinners came back they were dried out and tasteless. I left mine on the plate. We asked our waitress for water but never got it. We paid for the meal because we were told there wasn't a manager on duty who we could talk to but there would be one the next morning when we checked out.
There is a bath house and outdoor hot tub. The hot tub is very nice, the bath house could be if someone checked on it once in a while and kept it clean. There are a couple of showers and changing rooms in the bath house that were dirty and messy.
There were no towels anywhere. My husband ran back to the shared bathroom in the lodge to get towels.
The next morning when we checked out we asked to speak to the manager so we could tell her about our dining experience. We were told she wasn't in yet. We had a long ride to get home so we checked out and said he would contact her from home. I couldn't help but wonder who is in charge of this resort and watches over it to make sure their guests have a good experience.
Follow up - The Birches credited our meal but it doesn't help to diminsh the dissapointment my husband and I feel about this resort .

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank cingar
Reviewed 22 October 2010

We stayed at one of the more isolated cabins at the resort. It was pretty cool, built in the thirties, and got the rustic experience we wanted. However the beds were very uncomfortable. The location on Moose Head Lake was beautiful and peaceful; lovely to wake up early and hear the loons. The resort offers many enjoyable activities and guided trips however very expensive. In fact a weeks stay was about the same price as a cottage on the beach at Cape Cod - no matter how lovely I expected a cabin in Maine to be a little cheaper. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The food in the main building is good and
it's a nice place to eat, right on the water. There's also a full bar. This is a great place if you want the quiet, peaceful beauty of Moose Head Lake. But if money is an issue you might want to shop around or go further north.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank DenaDiane
Reviewed 5 October 2010

We stayed in the Elmer Bemis cabin. The flooring in most of the rooms was in very bad condition - parts were taped with electrical tape. The pillow covers over the pillows were very badly stained and gross looking and the curtains were very dusty. The walls of the cabin were the only thing in good condition.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank pjraser
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockwood
Gray Ghost Camps
Lodge at Moosehead Lake
Lodge at Moosehead Lake
#2 of 5 in Greenville
Greenville Inn at Moosehead Lake

Been to The Birches Resort? Share your experiences!