“God's Country!!”
Review of The Birches Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rockwood
The Birches Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rockwood
Reviewed 5 May 2012

We have stayed at The Birches several times, and have NEVER been disappointed with the experience. We have stayed in the lodge, in cabins and rented houses, and each of those accommodations has always been fabulous. I love the rustic feel and charm of the whole place!! The staff has always been welcoming and accommodating and the restaurant serves the best Rib Eye I've ever had! Last Fall, we brought 3 other couples there for Columbus Day weekend, and every person walked away loving the place as much as we do. It truly is God's Country up there - just gorgeous!!

Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chopinlistz
There are newer reviews for The Birches Resort

Reviewed 30 January 2012

Not 1 or 2....we counted at least 8. They were not shy...one ran across my purse and under my bed. My son went to the bathroom and there were 3 sitting on a shelf above the toilet. Several upstairs in the loft...they were literally everywhere. At first when my daughter and I screamed, my two teenage sons thought it was funny. But the joke wore off fast when we seemed to be infested. They were everywhere. They were active morning and night. After two nights of this, we decided we had to leave. We felt that this went past "rustic" to unsanitary. They would NOT refund any of our money, and they implied that we were lying. I wanted to speak with the owner, but he would not speak with me. Instead he had a manager act as the go between. I felt sorry for the woman.
This was not a nice place, and the management was awful. Super insensitive and would not refund a dime. The camp ground spaces were really awful. I couldn't imagine anyone putting a camper on the property. It looked more like a parking lot. The web site does not reflect the reality. There are a lot of campgrounds that have "rustic" cabins and are really fun and welcoming. This one is not. It is also more expensive than any of the others.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank ASLOV
john w, Owner at The Birches Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

The Birches owns 10,000 acres of wild lands. We have many campsite on the property. I suspect this person only viewed an RV site area near the marina that is requested by many boaters. While these sites are more opened, they provide great access to people that own boats and want to camp near their boat.

We do our best with managing the various wildlife which includes mice.Mice are not tolerated in our cabins and we remove them as soon as we are aware of a problem.

I always encourage our many guests to leave comment cards in the lodge. I personally respond to each and every comment on a daily basis. This allows me to find problems and fix them immediately onsite.

Reviewed 13 October 2011

First of all, I have 2 positives about The Birches. The bar/lounge area is very cozy with a double sided stone fireplace and leather couch and tree stump bar stools and a view of the lake. Also, the lady at the front desk (didn't catch her name) was very friendly and really helpful. She gave us some tips on where to see moose around the area and she was right, we found two! Ok, otherwise we didn't stay at the lodge, just ate there, unfortunately....

We were quite disappointed with our dining experience at The Birches. We were in the area and wanted a place for dinner. The lodge is very neat and old fashioned/historic with great big stone fire places, and cute cozy bar and a nice view of the lake, but the food and service was terrible. It was the worst meal of our entire stay in Maine, which happened to be our honeymoon. Maybe it was a bad sign that we were the only people in the dining room to start with, later 3 more tables came. As previously reviewed, the water was terrible (definately well water or something) even the soda couldn't mask the bad taste of it. And it took awhile to even get the water. No small bread/appetizer plates given to us for the rolls which we had to ask for and still took a long time. Waitress never asked me if I wanted another beverage. And it wasn't just us, we observed the lack of service with the other 3 tables too.

When we finally got our entrees, (about 45 minutes) the steak medallions were burnt, my carrots were cold and the stuffing in the stuffed haddock was strange. It seemed to have a tomato base but fishy tasting (even thought it was seafood stuffing, it tasted funky) I scraped out the stuffing and the actual fish was ok, though on the dry side. We really are not picky diners, but between the VERY slow and inattentive service to the bad food, I wish we hadn't wasted a night out eating there.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank gypsiegal
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Given the magnificent view of Moosehead Lake from our cozy log cottage one would think the innkeepers would pay more attention to the condition of their bedding. My pillow had years worth of drool, sweat and whatever on it. It was covered by a threadbare pillow case. The blankets were pilled and not clean. All of the linens were mismatched polyester (yard sale finds?). I had to use a towel to cover the pillow just to fall asleep. Eeeee-uuuw!

Be prepared to wash the night off by taking a giant step up into the shower...about a foot off the ground. I'm told this is due to frost concerns. The bathroom was dimly lighted and the usual amenities were not available.

We spent 2 nighttime hours listening to the barking dog in the next cabin. The staff did finally see to it that the dog was quieted. The dog was fine, the dog owners were morons.

On the up side, the restaurant and it's staff were wonderful. The food was good down east fare...comfort food. The turkey dinner was as good as mom's. Large portions too.

When we first walked in to the log cabin and saw the lovely stone fireplace we though we had found cozy heaven. We did not.

At $200 a night we expected cozy and clean. Nice cotton sheets with washable cotton quilts would have made this a place to revisit.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank harleytravelers234
Reviewed 11 September 2011

We were staying in Greenville, Maine and decided to take a drive to Rockwood to see what they offered for dinner. We stumbled upon the Birches Resort as there is not much to choose upon there. When we got to the restaurant area at first it just said office. We weren't sure if we were at the restaurant but went in to ask. They said yes its through the door and off to left. The room was beautiful, had a nice lodge feel to it, had a big fireplace and big picture windows overlooking the lake. We thought we hit the jackpot. Waitress brought over water and it was horrible. It was so horrible that my friend, who never orders a drink to save costs, ordered a ginger ale (now that says something). I ordered the spinach salad and friend ordered haddock. The waitress came out a few minutes later and told me she could not serve the spinach as it had gone bad (at least she was honest). I got regular salad and that was not very good either. I could only eat about a quarter of it. My friend though the haddock was ok. Oh and they charge for refills on the soda, how ludicrous. The glass was very small. Maybe that is why they serve such terrible water.

We took brochures on the cabins but after reading some reviews on here I know now I will not stay in any of them. One thing I dislike is dark and dingy. And they sound just like that.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank foodfancierEastCoast
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We didn't stay at the resort - but we came up from Sebec to do a moose tour for the family. It was 3 hours of fun. Took a nice tour around Kineo & the lake, and then into some of the bogs to look for Moose. We didn't actually see any, but that isn't the fault of the tour lol. We had fun, and would certainly go again in the future.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Katie C
Reviewed 14 July 2011

I looked into staying at The Birches - but quickly realized that it was too primitive for me. Shared baths, no a/c, pets allowed are NOT for me. We stayed at Chalet Moosehead in Greenville in a Deluxe room (read my review of that for Moosehead area's definition of Deluxe) but we did their Moose Cruise. It was very nice, not too many people and we saw moose. The pilot/guide was friendly and they invited my children to the beach campfire even though we weren't staying at the Birches. A friendly place, and if you are expecting primitive lodgings, it may be the place for you.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockwood
Lodge at Moosehead Lake
#1 of 1 in Parlin Pond
The Mountainview Resort
The Mountainview Resort
#2 of 10 in Jackman

Been to The Birches Resort? Share your experiences!