The Birches Resort
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Rockwood
See available hotels
Good 3.5/5
Kineo View Lodge(Greenville)
    Jackman Motel(Jackman)
      Average 3/5
        Good 3.5/5
          Spillover Motel(Stratton)
          Great 4.5/5
          All reviewsthe ownermoosehead lakefloat planerustic cabinwood stovexc skibeautiful locationfriends and familytake advantagefull kitchenribslodge roomsroaring fireprime ribliving areahuge fireplaceworked fine
          FilterAll languages
          Reviewed 20 September 2013

After travelling for 2 months through Europe and the whole East Coast of the USA, we needed to slow down and rest with no "places to be and things to do". We chose Rockford on Moosehead Lake and it was a blessing. Not only was it quiet, beautiful and unspoilt, it was envigorating. After just 3 nights we left refreshed and ready to tackle our last month of travel.
          The Birches is exactly as the photos show. Basic log cabins on the water. In fact we had The Honeymoon Cabin which was perfect - further away from the Main Lodge and with its own deck right on the water, with its ducks visiting daily. The plumbing etc is rather home handyman style but it works.
          Meals were very convenient at the lodge and they were good. Not great but good. Don't let them overcook your beef steak.
          Really you should stay a week to enjoy the boat ride (to see moose and bald eagles, like we did), Mt Kineo walk and golf etc.

Room Tip: Cabin XX, The Honeymoon Cabin, is wonderful. Other reviews have spoken of the problem with noise from the bar if you are staying in the Main Lodge. While we were there was nothing loud after 9.30pm.
          • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
          1  Thank Love_Bali_Ubud
          Reviewed 18 September 2013

I had stayed and enjoyed all aspects of the Birches twice before my last visit. Once for a week with friends and once with my family during the Annual Greenville Fly In. So, this year I rented a nearby camp with friends who had never been to the area. I made a reservation for dinner one evening.
          The food was terrible!!!! Cold and inedible for the most part. The fish was cold and like rubber. The ribs were cold and overpriced. Vegetables and rice cold. Even the water tasted bad. If not for respect for my recommendation to eat there, my friends would have sent their dinners back.
          I saw that the property is for sale in my DownEast magazine. Perhaps that is the problem.
          In any case, I felt bad that my friends spent their money on a lousy meal. I will not return anytime soon.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
          2  Thank mmfave
          john w, Owner at The Birches Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2013

Our chefs would always respond to guest issues whe dining if the guest would send back food if not satisfied.

We serve hundreds of people each year and have very few issues such as this one.

Deciding to sell a business has nothing to do with good management and frankly the complaint sounds a little over done.

We always try to please our guests and there are many very happy ones.

I suggest this person get in touch with me directly at The Birches

John Willard
          Owner

Reviewed 15 September 2013

This resort is on Moosehead Lake. I love the location. The accommodations are rustic and they reminded me of places we went to when I was a kid because there was no TV or anything electronic. The connectivity on my smart phone was gone and it was really nice to be unplugged and enjoy the scenery. The lodge had a band Friday night and everyone had a blast signing and dancing together in the small space.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
          Reviewed 21 August 2013

We were not staying at the Birches but had made reservations two weeks in advance for dinner for 4. When we arrived we were seated against the back wall - were told the waterview seats were reserved? Didn't want to make a fuss. The waitress was less than attendant - perhaps not enough staff to handle what was certainly not a crowd. The waitress was horrible. We waited for drinks, appetizer, and the waitress!

We all ordered prime rib - 3 medium and 1 medium rare. They all came out rather greyish, as if they had been sitting under a warming light for quite some time. No flavor at all. The zuchinni looked like it has been sauteing for days. I didn't try it. We had ordered a birthday cake as part of the reservation. When finished with our 'meals' I asked about the special request. The waitress disappeared as she had done many times throughout our dinner. We waited for about 10 minutes and she appeared with a full sized cake - which was very nice - but there were four of us. When we were finished, I asked if they could box the cake. Our waitress looked like no one had ever made this request before. She again disappeared with the cake. We waited and waited, paid the bill, and again our waitress was among the missing. When she reappeared she said oh I was hoping you'd forget. She then got the cake which was plopped in a 'to go' box for a meal - not tall enough for the full sized cake. When the cover was put down, all of the frosting stuck.

During dinner, people had to move from their seats, which some staff carrier a table past us and into another room. Never experienced anything like this before. Don't go!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
          3  Thank k n
          Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

What a wonderful, old-fashioned resort this place is. The cabins are genuine log cabins, many decades old. Not fancy - this place is rustic with a capital R - but loaded with charm. They are spaced just far enough to give you a little elbow room, and they are THIS CLOSE to the lake's shoreline. No phone, TV, or modern "distractions" to detract from the beauty of the location. There is Internet service available in the main lodge, and cell service is spotty. Great excuse to put the phone away.
          We rented a motorboat for the week, and had a great time with daily excursions to Mt. Kineo, the Moose River, pebble beach and other remote locations.
          The family hiked, fished with gear that we brought with us, and, if just for a week, unplugged and truly enjoyed a simpler life.
          We ate some meals in our cabin, which are equipped with a kitchen. We also treated ourselves to several breakfasts and dinners at the restaurant in the main lodge.
          There is even a small pub in the lodge which was well-stocked, and even has good local draft beer.
          I would recommend stocking up on groceries on the drive up through Greenville, which is at the south end of the lake. In a pinch, you can always make a run to the much closer Moose River store. It is about five minutes away by car (Or 15 minutes by boat! What a fun way to make a milk run!)
          I hope to return to The Birches someday soon.

• Stayed: July 2013