“Rooms are better than one would think”

Oakwood Inn Town Motel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sanford
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Stayed here several times and it has nice clean rooms and linen. It's the kind of place that could be a disaster, but they pull it off. If you are used to swanky - stay on the coast. They advertise a breakfast and they used to have a nice spread, but now it's yogurt and fruit cups. The coffee is good.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jglenn6874

Reviewed 13 August 2013

My husband and I choose this place out of necessity. The reviews had be doubting my stay. Yes the rooms need updating but the room was just right. It had charm that you wont find in the bigger chains in Wells. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Stayed at this charming Inn . When I called to make a reservation a nice lady suggested that I stay in room 118. It has been newly renovated. Beautiful room. New flooring no carpets which is great if you have allergies and a large flat screen tv. Big bathroom. The Inn is located at a spot close to many places to eat at, they even have restaurants that offer great discounts if you stay there. It is a older place , with no bells and whistles, it is very clean, nice grounds and quiet. Freindly folks work there and were very helpful . I will definitely stay again on my next visit to Sanford.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I'm actually quite fortunate an inn like this is located in Sanford. The people who run it, Marie and Beau, are truly hospitable and sweet and the rooms have always been clean, cozy, and charming. I now have family in Sanford and the Oakwood Inn is the only place I'll rent from after one misguided stay at the nearby super 8 Motel (which is just utterly depressing). I have especially liked the rooms in the two back buildings and room 120, which is where Katharine Hepburn stayed apparently when she visited in the summers:) The grounds are kept nice with colorful planted flowers and green grass. All in all staying there has always been a lovely and peaceful experience for me. True to what time spent in Maine should be.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I have stayed here on more than three occasions. I gave this hotel very high marks in my first review three years back but after staying there recently I felt I had to change this review.

I might stay here again but only if I get one of the rooms in building number one.Even then, I might hesitate and reconsider going to another place even if it required a longer trip.

I am not sure why the quality went down at this hotel but I really felt like I wasted my money here and because I had no other place to stay and was too busy to look for another place I just had to put up with this room.

It was dark and dingy. Carpet so dark and lights so dim I wondered what they didn't want me to see. The bathroom had been cleaned but was so small it was annoying. The room in general was too dark and dingy to do much reading in there in the evening and figuring out the lights was difficult. The worst thing is that they didn't make up my room on day two and I was too exhausted to run to the office to ask for towels so I took my chances on totally running out. I work in the field and spend more than 9 hours a day in the national forests when I visit so showers really matter to me. Cable had about four stations and no weather channel. I also felt really bummed out when the fridge that is in the office entry area - the one that used to be full of yogurts, milk, juices etc was empty except for about a cup of orange juice in the bottom of a half gallon container. There were three apples for the entire hotel of people and one of those silly kuerig machines with only hazelnut flavor and decaf packets.

If this hotel wants a good rating from me they need to pay attention to the customers like they used to and do some updating in the rooms. Please please please do not get dark green floors and dark bedspreads. They make the rooms so dingy looking and some light colors could do a world of good to lighten the space up.

I would just be careful if you are considering staying here. As I said check out the room first or request building one. Still remember that this may not bee so nice if they won't make the room up like they did with me this last visit.

I have never removed a five star review but I felt I had to do this after my experience this week.

Room Tip: Building one only. If you can't get building one don't go here! Get another hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 July 2013

The good news is that they seem to be working on the rooms. Carpet worn. Bathroom door didn't close. Weird lighting. Tired bed mattress. Cheap sheets and towels.
We found hairs in the tub and sink. No amount of cosmetic work can excuse this lack of cleanliness. Still staff was very nice. They offered to change our rooms. Convenient location to the ballpark.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 September 2012

I haven't been to other area accomodations in quite some time (we don't visit often) so I can't give a comparable review. However, when we called to book the employee was very friendly and helpful (there were a number of us looking to stay the same weekend). Cleanliness was average, and probably pretty good for the area, but the smell was not great. That may just be because it's an older place but I'm pretty particular about smells! Overall we had a nice stay and if we came back to the area again it would be an option.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Danielle C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanford
Sanford Inn
Sanford Inn
#3 of 3 in Sanford
The Anchorage Inn - Rochester
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester
Hampton Inn Kennebunk Kennebunkport
Holiday Inn Express Biddeford
Super 8 Sanford Kennebunkport Area

Been to Oakwood Inn Town Motel? Share your experiences!