“Great room w/amenities for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sanford Inn

Sanford Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sanford
Wakefield, Massachusetts
“Great room w/amenities for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

We stayed at this hotel for the July 4th weekend to visit family in the area. We were pleasantly surprised by the friendly office staff, continental breakfast (limited selection but it was a nice perk), wi-fi in the rooms (though we didn't try it), nice flat screen tv and clean room. The bed was comfortable and the a/c unit was new and worked great. There was also a small fridge and microwave in the room which I usually don't see in comparable places. It's not a fancy place but clean and work the money. We didn't have a chance to use the pool but it looked clean and wasn't crowded. We would definitely stay there again.

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2010

We were there the last weekend in July and were very happy with our selection. My rating is based on the property as a motel, not comparing it to a '5' star hotel.

Initial contact with owner was great - he is very friendly with a good sense of humor. I had originally asked for a non-smoking room/king which was unavailable so decided to book the suite at $139 per night. He suggested I consider the smoking king as it was $40 per night cheaper - thought that was nice of him to try to save us a few bucks. We decided to go with the smoking room, even though neither of us is a smoker, and I have to say, I really couldn't smell the smoke. Now keep in mind, it was a beautiful day and the window was open. We left the door open for a bit too, to air things out.

The room was fine...flat-screen TV, microwave, refrigerator, a/c, free wireless. Bed was quite comfortable but had one of those fake, squishy type blankets...I hate those. The room was very clean, bathroom was as well. It was all we needed for a quick one night stop.

There is a clean pool on premises, a small breakfast room with continental offerings, and a Weather Vane next door. We saw several people bringing take out back to the room.

Only complaint is walls are a bit thin. Could hear the guy next to us snoring, perhaps bring some ear plugs if you are a light sleeper.

Some chairs to sit in outside the room would have been nice but we just used the chairs from the room.

Property is easy to find. About 8 miles of exit 19 (95).

Is there better out there? Sure...but for under $100 and close proximity to Wells/Kennebunk area, it is great.

If in this area again, we would stay and would also recommend to friends.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Milwaukee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2010

You're in Maine. There's not a ton, but that's the charm right? This is the Sanford Inn a little motel that has a lot to offer. The rooms are clean, but are slightly out dated, but that's not my concern where I'm staying. You got a mini-fridge, tv, air, free wi-fi, a pool and a decent seafood restaurant right next door. You've got a hospitable staff that helps you out, and you're located not a far drive from several beaches and about 45min from Portland. I was here for a few days with some family and loved the nice quiet way this town is. I will stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Massasschusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2009

The rooms are clean and spacious with flat screen tv's. I love staying at this inn for many reasons. The staff is very accomidating and friendly. My favorite is the continental breakfast, my son loves it to.Great selection. I will stay here time and time again.There is also plenty of parking, i bring all of my 4 wheelers with my trailer and they accomidate me with no problems..Great big swiming pool in the summer..Walmart is right down the street for all your needs. The Weathervane restaurant is right next door.I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!!!!!A++++++

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Worcester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2009

On Wednesday, July 29th, I made reservations online to stay at the Sanford “Inn”on Friday night, July 31st. I booked it on Innlink.com. Under "special requests" I informed them we would be unable to check in before 11:30 PM. This was due to job commitments. The website does state that all requests cannot be honored, but I received a quick confirmation and there was no indication that our late arrival would be a problem. As a matter of fact, it stated, "Your reservation is guaranteed for late arrival with a Mastercard."

We arrrived at "the inn" at 11:28 PM. (FYI, The Sanford “Inn" bears no resemblance to an actual Inn. It's a motel.) The business light was still lit. We drove up to the office. The "OPEN" sign was facing out, but the office was dark. I rang the doorbell. The office is attached to their residence and I could hear the bell ring throughout the building, but they did not respond. I rang it again with the same results. I phoned them and my call went directly into their voicemail. So - at 11:30 PM, after a very long day, we were standing on the "innkeeper's" doorstep with no place to stay for the night.

I now have a charge for $85.60 on my credit card. When I contacted the Sanford “Inn,” they briskly referred me to Innlink.com. Innlink.com first tried to defend the Sanford “Inn” by claiming that the “inn” had a policy stating that late arrivals had to make their reservations by phone. But no where does it say that, so Innlink.com then admitted that they had no way of charging my account. The charge had to be generated by the The Sanford “Inn” and The Sanford “Inn” refuses to refund the charge.

I might understand to some extent if they had kept a room open for us that they otherwise could have filled, but they clearly had many vacancies that night. I don't know how, in good conscience, they can take payment from us. We did not cost them a dime, nor did they loose a moment's sleep on our behalf. I wish we could say the same.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank linlach

Travellers are raving about these Sanford hotels

Latham, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2009

I would recommend this motel to a friend, if they had business in the Sanford area, but wouldn't recommend it if they there to visit the Maine beach areas as this place is too far about 11 -12 miles from the ocean water.

It has been newly renovated to a certain level, the beds are kind of soft leaving my wife and I with sore backs and hips. The exterior doors, windows, roofs, bathrooms and flat screen HDTVs are nice newer upgrades. It is overall, pretty spotless.

The continental breakfast is a little lame, coffee, not great, (not in room coffee available) . The breakfast area is very small,just big enough for about 6-8 people.

The owner lives there so you get personal service.

Overall, the place is great for a short stay. Closeby you'll find the Weathervane seafood restaurent next door, a Dunkin Donuts a 1/2 mile away, a golf driving range, mini-golf and batting cages just 3 doors away. A brand new super Walmart is about 1.5 away that opened in July, 2009.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Clinton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2009

I was a little weary when first staying at the Sanford Inn. The lobby was plain and not very decorated. The manager was friendly and was pleased to hear that some of us were staying there for a second time (I had read reviews on the booking website and they were not too fond of him, but I thought he was pleasant). He gave us newly renovated rooms, with new carpet (can't not notice that new carpet smell!!) and a flat screen TV. The bathrooms were brand new, the showers were awesome! Everything was spotless, and the beds were comfortable. Parking was nice because each room had a designated spot right out front. Only thing I would say is bring a pillow if you like them softer because the pillows are a bit hard. Otherwise, my family was pleased with our stay at the Sanford Inn and would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanford
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester
The Anchorage Inn - Rochester
Hampton Inn & Suites Wells-Ogunquit
Holiday Inn Express Biddeford
Super 8 Sanford Kennebunkport Area
The Lodge at Kennebunk
The Lodge at Kennebunk
#7 of 8 in Kennebunk

Been to Sanford Inn? Share your experiences!