“Possible bed bugs” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Scarborough
Tampa, Florida
“Possible bed bugs”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2012

I stayed at this hotel on September 26th, 2012, room 302 to be exact, and woke up in the middle of the night noticing a small bug on my arm. I quickly got out of bed and noticed several on the bed. When I touched them they left little blood stains so I am pretty sure they are bed bugs. The hotel is relativley new and looked great. I called the woman Judy working the front desk and asked if they ever had any problems with bed bugs. She said no and was shocked to hear there could be a issue there. I asked her to come up to the room and she did as we captured a few for the manger/owner to look at and have checked out. It appeared to both of us that that is what they were from going online and looking at images. I got out of the hotel asap and told the woman I would be throwing out my stuff for fear of bringing anything into my house. I called the owner the next day after my flight home and he did not want to do anything to help with my loss of items such as my bag, several days of casual business clothes, shoes, etc. I threw everything out that was of fabric. The owner did say I could mail the bag back but that was it. I told him it was in a a dumpter and why would i have to mail a bag back especially if it might have bed bugs? He said he needed proof? How about your employee seeing them in my room and the ones we captured? The owner said a company already came in prior to my call and said they had none. Well you might not have an infesatation yet but I am pretty sure they are there... but I am not an expert. Please be careful if you stay there. I checked the room myself when i first walked in and saw nothing. I travel every week for work and stay in hotels every week since 1997 and have been concerned about this since it broke the news. I only saw 8-10 of these bugs, and killed about 4 of them. Just want to let you know there might be an issue there. The owner did not charge me for the room, which I think was the right thing to do given any type of bugs found in the bed but feel due to the nature of what I think these were he should have helped me out with my loss, and he should treat the room as if it were a bed bug problem. But he says they don't have them. Guess if it happens again there will be more post but lets hope not.

Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Eric P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012 via mobile

We decided to travel to Maine during the last part of our week in New England, and chose this Comfort Inn because we had stayed in two different Comfort Inn and Suites on our trip and both were delightful. I was a bit disturbed by the mostly negative reviews, but decided that maybe those travelers were more picky than we were. I should have believed the reviews! I had made the reservation over the phone and had confirmed the price with the gentleman taking my reservation and was given a confirmation number. I should have asked for an e-mailed receipt because when I arrived the price I was quoted was $15/room more than I had been told the afternoon before. The woman at the desk was very nice, however, and wasn't responsible for my dilemma. We ended up changing to one room with two king sized beds which would be less expensive than two different rooms. The comments about the unsettling elevator sounds were true, as were the ones about the broken ice machine and drink machine on our hall. The front desk was aware of the issues and suggested that we get ice on another floor. I never did see a drink machine that worked, but there was a note at the front desk that drinks were available there. We discovered late in the evening that though there were two television sets (one at the foot of each bed), there was only one remote control. Not a fun thing to discover when you are about to fall asleep and have to drag yourself out of bed to try to locate the off button on the TV. (The manager provided an additional one for us later.) The washcloths could use updating as my husband's literally fell apart when he took a shower. I thought he was exaggerating when he said his washcloth fell apart until he held it up to show me. It was as if the entire center disintegrated. Luckily the towels were replaced and the new ones held up. The breakfast was nowhere close to the ones we had enjoyed in our previous hotels, but it did include eggs and sausage links, both of which were warm and appreciated. I really wanted to give this place the benefit of the doubt because I am usually really easy to please, and the folks we spoke with at the facility were nice. Parking was free and spaces were abundant. Perhaps if we hadn't had such delightful experiences in other Comfort Inn and Suites we wouldn't have noticed how this place was lacking.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Beth H
Brisbane
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2012

Hotel is in a quieter area ten minutes drive from a busy commercial area with grocery stores and fast food stores, probably other hotels. The room rate was extremely high but it and hotel tastefully decorated, impeccably clean, free large car park. We had a spacious, ground floor room near indoor pool which was very popular with the families staying. Male staff-member at check-in impersonal. The free breakfast basic but adequate.

Room Tip: Strenuously work for best rate. Expensive.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Berlin NH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

We were attending a wedding in South Portland. The couple had locked off rooms for their guest which makes it so much easier for the attendees arriving from out of town. Close to Portland Jetport and off of interstate 95. The wedding was @3: 30pm and we couldn’t be guaranteed early check-in as the normal check-in is 3pm. We arrived around 2:20pm and had no problem checking in a bit earlier. The room was on the second floor and the elevator was nice and quick. Our room had 2 queen beds and it was very comfortable. I called down for a small ridge but they were all out. No problem we had a small cooler which worked. The ice machine was just 2 doors down. They had a full house and parking became an issue when we arrived after the wedding reception around 10:30pm. We parked on grass but no issues as others were already parking on it. It appears that they may be working on making additional parking. Rooms were quiet even though the hotel was full. The next morning we enjoyed a hot breakfast. Seating was limited and the breakfast staff did a nice job cleaning up quickly allowing others to move in for their breakfast.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Menominee, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

Well when we first arrived we had to wait about 5 minutes for the lady to get off the phone. Not once did she acknowledge that we came through the door and say I will be with you in a moment. Then once you get in the elevator if feels like it is going to break every time you go up and down. The beds were fine, they weren't super comfortable but they worked I guess. When you got to take a shower there was no vent or fan to help the steam go out so it was very hard to see when you get out. Then the next morning I went down for breakfast with my husband and went to take a muffin out of the case and some bugs flew out at me. Lets just say I lost my appetite and we did not eat here the rest of the time we stayed. The problem was never fixed. I also wanted to have some hot tea, but they did not have any hot water available for this. We went up north for a few days and then stayed one more night here so we rechecked in to a different room. About 20 minutes later after we checked in and my husband was in the shower a women walked in to our room. So our room was double booked and they never apologized about it at the front desk. The lady who walked into our room felt really bad but it wasn't her fault. Then later our card key didn't work so we had to wait until the evening guy finished his smoke to get our key to work again. It was VERY frustrating. The location was also very werid because every time you wanted to go a certain way you had to go about two blocks up and make a U-turn. I must say this is the worst comfort inn we ever stayed at.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank nbergstrom

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Ft. Wayne, IN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

We were traveling in the Portland area and needed a place to stay so we picked this Comfort Inn. In our opinion it was just average and slightly over priced. The rooms were clean and everything worked. If you have stayed at other Comfort Inns this is just a repeat.

Room Tip: do not stay near pool area
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Nashua, New Hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

We overpaid for a suite. What we got was a tiny room with two beds and a couch crammed into a tiny room. They also had advertised a playground and there was no playground. We will never come here again. This was not a good experience.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank loriandscott
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Americas Best Value Inn-Scarborough/Portland
BEST WESTERN Merry Manor Inn
#2 of 12 in South Portland
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,225 reviews
Residence Inn Portland Scarborough

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!