“Very Disappointed from a return visitor”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Scarborough
cape cod, ma
“Very Disappointed from a return visitor”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I reserved 4 rooms for members of my family while attending a birthday party. We had been there 2 years ago and had a positive experience. Things have deteriorated. Everything started with the fact that when we were checking in to what I was told was a "sold out" night a person walked in without a reservation and got a rate $20.00/night lower that that what we had reserved weeks in advance. I was told "that's just the way it is". When my son and his wife checked in they found that their room was dirty and smelly and asked to change room. They were told the hotel was "sold out" and that they couldn't change rooms. They asked whether everyone who had a reservation had checked in so perhaps he could change to one of those rooms. They eventually did move him (twice) and the room was only marginally better.

When we went to our room through the side door, we found empty bottles of beer and cigarette butts in front of the door. When we entered our room we found a dirty, open ironing board in the room and we had to get someone remove it. The comforters had a very bad odor, so strong that we actually had to put them in the hallway. The carpets had a damp, musty odor. When we asked for extra pillows, we were told that they did not have any. There no tissues, no bath mats and the bath tub had mold in the corner.
The two other rooms we had were musty and unappealing as well. We were able to get the manager to agree to lower our room rate and we got a reduction for the terrible state of the room but I will never go back to the hotel again.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank rblamkin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Merrimack, NH
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Good enough for a short stay on the way. We stayed here last year for the Maine State Senior Games and liked it enough to return. We got what we expected - a clean room, accommodating staff, adequate breakfast before the track meet, convenient location. Very unusual for a hotel/motel of this type: very quiet location and no lights shining in the window. The elevator and ice machine could not be heard inside the room either.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2013 via mobile

Modern building. On main drag on the way out to Old Orchard Beach, fifteen minutes or so south of Portland. Not a destination in its own right.

Plus points: good beds; quiet, efficient air conditioning; plenty of parking; free wifi; free breakfast (of a sort).

Minus points: oh my, I really hope you don't get to meet a young woman at the desk who will (try to) check you in. Alternately incompetent, angry and incoherent in speech. Look out - you've been warned!

• Stayed June 2013
Augusta, Maine
Reviewed 17 June 2013

The GF and I stopped here with the little man for a night and it was the biggest mistake we could make. We should have known as there was no one in the parking lot. Hotels.com gave us a good deal but they accidentally booked us two rooms. When I went to check in there was no one there. I rang the bell that they put out and it still took 10 minutes to get someone to check us in. They never once said that we had another room, or offered us a key to the other room. When we awoke in the morning we noticed that we had double the charge. The GF went out to talk to the staff to clear it up, and the sheepish lady at the front desk past it off to the owner/manager. He then berated and yelled at my GF saying it wasn’t his fault. My GF works in customer service and is used to being yelled at, but he did it in such a way that she was irate. The icing on this cake is that he did it with little man right next to her. She sent little man down to get me, so I would deal with him. When I spoke with him he was still rude but he didn’t yell at me. I at first thought that the GF might have been over reacting but when the Owner/manager walked out from around the front desk he started yelling at her saying he wasn’t going to deal with her. I pulled him aside, he told me there was nothing he could do and walked away. The GF called hotels.com to see what they could do… and hotels.com tried calling the hotel. The hotel said that there was a leak in the pool and that the manager wasn’t available. This as it turns out is the company lie to get you to hang up so they don’t have to deal with you. After having my family belittled and yelled, with poor customer service I wouldn’t recommend this place to anyone.
On the other hand the rooms were nice and clean, and the breakfast provided was nice. It is a shame because this hotel was nice aside from the poor customer service.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Check in was fine and clerk friendly, but I had to ring the bell too. Beds were comfortable and room clean as are standard Comfort Inns. However, the next morning the breakfast which are normally very good @ most other C.Inn hotels, was HORRIBLE. Eggs were bad, poor overall selection, only one juice, lousy scrabble, and afraid to try their coffee. I would stay @ this hotel again but would look @ other options for breakfast. The area around the hotel is very quiet and not on a busy highway so that is a big plus too !

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Brian F
Ellsworth, Maine
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Upon arrival, at 7:30 pm, I had to ring the bell to call someone to the front desk. The clerk simply handed me my room key and walked away. She didn't ask for ID or payment! She assumed I was paying with the card I used to reserve the room (which was my Choice Privileges card, and had recently expired). I had to ring the bell again, and ask her if I could pay for the room. Of course, she didn't know what she was doing, and had to ask someone to help her figure out how to receive payment (why was she working the front desk?)

Our floor was extremely noisy, with children running in the halls and slamming doors, and adults (presumably their parents) partying loudly next door until midnight. When I called the front desk to complain, they did come to the room, and asked them to quiet down, and they did.

We were given a handicap-accessible room, so the bathroom was cavernous, but the room was much smaller than a standard room. The shower was equipped with an ADA showerhead, which was broken, so it sprayed directly into my chest (I'm slightly less than average height).

The TV reception is terrible. The printed guide in the room even described the channels as "snowy". Rather than indicate the channels as "snowy", why not actually fix the problem.

We were disappointed with our experience here, and probably won't come back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Erie, MI
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Check in clerk was not overly friendly and was very strict about check-in time. We wanted to drop our bags off early (maybe 12-ish), but were informed check in was at 3 PM. Parking lot was empty save 1 car (presumably hers)...so found it hard to believe no room was available...but whatever. 2nd experience with desk staff...it took about 20 minutes to get towels for the pool. This was around 4 PM, and again only one desk person (different clerk)...and he was taking hotel reservations while people waited at the desk! Even by the time it was my turn up in line, the phone rang and I had to stand there while he quoted them room prices and then booked their room. The "shower" you use in the pool area is basically a hose you rinse off with...and pool was very COLD. I booked a suite with 2 queens and it wasn't what I would usually call a suite. But, it was clean and beds were comfortable. But next time wouldnt pay the extra $$ for the "suite".

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Americas Best Value Inn-Scarborough/Portland
Extended Stay America - Portland - Scarborough
Comfort Inn Airport
Comfort Inn Airport
#6 of 13 in South Portland

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!