“Comfortable Beds, Breakfast Attendant a Gem! but Room #219 Needs Work.”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Checked in around 4pm for one night, on Tuesday June 10th, for visiting nearby Portland.Off the beaten path hotel with half empty parking lot noted. Desk gentleman very pleasant and helped suggest a good dining location for the evening.

Upon entering room it was clean but noticed that a picture was missing from the wall by exposed wall hanging metal bracket and bolts. Unsightly poor patch job in ceiling over the bed with water damage ring was immediately evident. Unsightly rust & mold around bathtub caulking was nasty. Bathroom too small with door difficult to open & close due to uneven floor tile.

Flat screen TV and beds and pillows VERY comfortable. Strangely first Comfort Inn/Suites we've ever stayed in with NO MICROWAVE & FRIDGE. Comfortable upholstered chair at bedside with a table and 2 chairs in room for snacking.

Dining area small but nice with a waffle iron, sausage, muffins, eggs, yogurt, juice, coffee, etc. "Patrick" a breakfast room attendant from Jamaica, was a pleasure to meet. Very attentive to customer's needs. Replenished items that were out upon request even offered to warm my cold butter so I could more easily spread it on my waffle. All this with a pleasant and warm smile not often seen. Even so this gentle, upon checking out, painting the framework outside the front doors while one of the desk gentleman sat in a chair watching him. Obviously a hard worker that this establishment should treat as the gem he is or risk losing him to a higher competitor. If I owned a hotel I certainly would have offered him employment with me.

All in all a comfortable stay with nice staff but would not stay in room #219 again. Would request a better room.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Travelingfamily321

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This was the third time that our family stayed at this property. The first time we had a fantastic experience, the second time left much to be desired, and this time was somewhere in between. The room was clean and comfortable, unlike the last time that we stayed. The breakfast was OK. The only gripe I would have is it's claim to be pet friendly. Yes, they allowed us to have our puppy with us, but the discrepancy in the charge was a bit steep. We stayed at a Comfort Inn in New York state the night before and the room charge was the same and we simply paid $5 more for the puppy to be in our room. At this Scarborough property, we were charged $10 more for the base room charge and then had to pay an additional $25 for the pet fee. This was a bit ridiculous - why not just say that the pet fee is $35 more instead of trying to be sneaky? Otherwise our stay was fine - we were well rested and comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Off I 95 just before Portland good price fair breakfast pleasant professional staff. Need a place to get away from the bustle - April and May this is the place - very clean room, bedding and bathroom. These qualities are important and we were pleased with the property

Room Tip: 3rd floor was quiet
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Gordon S
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Rooms did not have a mini frig. Ice makers on 2nd and 3rd floors did not work. We had to discover this the hard way and found the only working one on the 1st floor (the last place we looked, of course).Would have been nice if the check-in person had given us a "heads up". Complimentary breakfast period is too short and lacking in choice.
The called in wake up call to the front desk was 1/2 hour earlier than requested.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2014

While the room itself was comfortable there were a few details overlooked. 1st the carpet/wall had previous water damage that should have been addressed. 2nd the toilet seat in the bathroom was missing a hinge on one side which could be fixed pretty easily. The housekeeping person did a good job, but should have checked the tissue box it only had one tissue left so I had to get another box at the front desk. The front desk person (Pam) could work on her customer service. When I made reservations through a 3rd party there were only two queen beds, so I took it and thought perhaps I could get a king bed or at least try. Well Pam was more worried about getting the money from the 3rd party then trying to perhaps give us an upgrade to a king bedded room and when I went online they were available..... I would have even paid the upgrade fee, but it was never offered.

Room Tip: If you make a reservation through a 3rd party like Orbitz, Expedia or Travelocity make sure you get...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2014

You need a lot of it. Called and made a reservation for 2 nights, originally just Fri. then added Thurs. Checked in which took a good 25 minutes as the woman at he desk kept mentioning the "he messed everything up" the gentleman working the shift prior to her she explained. She gave me the room key and then so oh no wait, it isn't clean. I'll go check it, she did and said it was all set and blamed the person working prior to her. Nights stay was fine, I wasn't sure if I would need the additional night so I called the front desk to cancel it but she couldn't find the reservation. Given my check in experience, I wasn't confident that it wasn't in there and didn't want to be charged if I wasn't staying and cancelled early enough. I gave her my confirmation number and she still said no reservation for an additional night. Then she asked if the person checking me (her) had me pay the pet fee as I had my dog. I said no and she said well you need to pay that, so I did. She processed my card and started laughing as she accidentally entered $25K (turns out when I checked my card it was $2500) instead of $25. I really didn't see that as being comical but apparently she did. I did verify that it was reversed on my card. The next morning, the hairdryer would stay on for about 30 seconds and then shut off. I was in a little bit of a hurry, so called down and she told me to blow into it-I tell the truth here, because that works for her at home. Well after letting the dryer rest, it came back for about 30 sec. and we did this dance until my hair was dry. Can I complain for $77/night, maybe I shouldn't but $77/night is still enough to ask for decent customer service and a hair dryer that works.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We took advantage of the "One Night Free after 2 Trips" and the "30% early booking" promotions which gave us a really nice one room suite at a bargain basement price with extra rewards to follow. As frequent travellers, we've learned that there are many advantages to joining rewards programmes such as that offered by the major chains.

The suite had been recently renovated and the built in fridge didn't have a freezer section which was needed to re-freeze my freezer packs that would be used the following day to transport medications. When I asked the desk clerk if there was some way to deal with this problem, she offered to store the freezer packs in the pantry freezer with my name and room number on the bag we put them into. Then she took me to the freezer and explained that I could retrieve them at any time. She was honestly delighted that she was able to solve the problem. Helpful, she was, to the nth degree and always with a smile.

A hot breakfast is a great way to set off on the next leg of our journey and the one available here was about as good as any could be. A good assortment of items including sausages, scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, waffles, cereal, juice, coffee, tea, etc. There were many more choices than can be found in my kitchen at home and the quality was just as good!

Through no fault of the hotel, the off season nearby sea food restaurant closure was a bit of a dissapointment. A bit further down the road was a family restaurant that filled the gap.

In summary, a nice hotel, close to the highway with honestly caring staff. We'll be back!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Americas Best Value Inn-Scarborough/Portland
Best Western Merry Manor Inn
Best Western Merry Manor Inn
#2 of 13 in South Portland
Homewood Suites by Hilton Portland

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!