“Clean and comfy”

Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Scarborough
MA
“Clean and comfy”
Reviewed 10 October 2009

These days, clean and comfortable are my greatest wants in a hotel room. This Comfort Inn is both, and their free continental breakfast is appreciated. It's not a full-service spread, but there are the usual cereals, juices, and the now-expected freshly made waffles.

I judge a hotel by the softness of the toilet paper and the size/softness of the towels. How did this one rate? TP is not super-soft, but it's durable and soft enough to be average. The towels are barely big enough to be called bath towels, and they are rather scratchy.

Nice, comfy mattresses, but I don't really believe they're queens. My husband and I are scrunched together, and this doesn't happen at home in our own queen bed. Four pillows on each bed, though, which is a plus.

Staff seems nice and helpful!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
St. John's, Nl Canada
Reviewed 15 September 2009

I just spent two nights at this hotel with my daughter. We went to Maine for a short excursion from Canada prior to her going back to school. The hotel was nice and pretty new (they still had the wrappings on the inside of the elevator). I thought for a Comfort Inn that $149 per night was a little high but thought it was labor day weekend so not too bad. The staff at the desk were very nice but gave some poor family with 3 children the worst (and wrong) directions to the nearest WalMart. My issue was with the housekeeping of our room. When I checked in, there was still coffee left in the coffee pot from the previous guests and by the looks of things had been there for sometime. There was mold growing and floating on top of the coffee. GROSS! Also, the floor in the bathroom was covered with the previous guests hair which also was a really gross thing to see.
We had ice that evening in the plastic bag in the ice bucket and when we came back the next evening, the old water was still in the bucket not having been cleaned out. As well, the garbage can in our room was not emptied. I brought this to the attention of the front desk before I left, they were quite apologetic and assured me they would be more diligent in the future.
I did like the hotel and would stay there again, but they need some QC on their housekeeping department.

• Stayed September 2009
2 Thank goneagain50_7
Ohio
Reviewed 27 August 2009

We stayed in this hotel for six nights and found it basically fine. Most have said that this hotel is very clean but we found they could do better. Our room carpet was linty when we arrived and went days before it was swept. This hotel is pet friendly and I am allergic to animals so we asked for a room that had not had pets in it. The room was fine but the elevator really smelled bad--like dogs. We used the steps for the duration of our stay so as not to have to smell the elevator. Our king room was small but serviceable. The bathroom was also small but did have counter space after the amenities and coffee maker were removed. One reviewer had said that the doors did not close properly, so we were sure to pull the door closed and check to make sure it was locked tight. We had no trouble with the doors. The reception people seemed to be helpful--we did not have to ask them anything but while we were at the computer, we could hear others asking directions, etc. and the reception people were very helpful. Also, while at the computer we heard many calls come in asking for directions and that they could not find the hotel. We found that if we put the address in our GPS as 329 US 1 that it got us there. The hotel is far enough away from the road that we did not hear any road noise and we had the room next to the elevator and did hear the elevator go up/down but after midnight when we were sleeping, we did not notice much noise. There is a small pool that we did not use and a small exercise room that we did not use. The exercise room also smelled and we don't know if it was from the equipment or that it was from sweaty bodies.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank richgail10
CT
Reviewed 27 August 2009

My husband and I go to Maine every summer. We decided to give this hotel a try, as it's relatively close to Old Orchard Beach and much lower priced than where we normally stay. Upon arrival, the hotel looked clean and new.
The person working at the front desk could have been more pleasant. Made you feel as is you were bothering him to check in, or ask a question. The room was rather small for a King bed, but looked neat and clean. No refrigerator. Also no vent fan or towel bar in the bathroom ,which I thought was strange. However when we returned back to the room later that night and pulled the covers back to go to bed ,we discovered what looked like pubic hair on top of the blanket. It was afer midnight and we were exhausted, and figured by the bad personality of the person at the front desk, that there was no telling how long it would take to get someone to change the blanket at that time of night. We stripped the blanket and comforter off the bed and slept only on top of the sheet, which did seem clean. We left a note for housekeeping in the morning explaining about the blanket and asked for fresh bedding. But, when we returned for the night, once again, what looked like pubic hair on the blanket. These may have been washed and just stuck to the blanket material in the dryer, but quite disgusting nevertheless, and if thats the case, they should switch to a different type of blankets. Thankfully we only stayed here 2 nights and won't be back again. I'd happily spend more to go back to our regular hotel where I can at least feel comfortable.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank irishgirlct

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

NH
Reviewed 8 August 2009

I called this hotel to see if there were doors between the room and the bedroom in the suites. I was told yes, so I asked to book a room. She offered me a double, which she explained to me as having 2 bedrooms, I said, no, I only need 1 bedroom but need a door between the rooms. So, she booked me a single king 1 bedroom suite (as I understood it). When my boyfriend arrived with our sleeping 16 month old at 3 pm he checked in, went to the room and found it was not what I asked for. He got the baby settled and went to tell the clerks who informed him the only room with doors was the double king (which was $50 more) and booked already. He couldnt get ahold of me as I was at the waterpark with the older kids. He asked them to do something, they made absolutely no attempt, other than to tell him that room was booked. When the baby got up, he left, found me and told me, I went immediately to take care of it only to be told that we would still be charged and had to wait until Monday between 9 and 5 to talk to the manager. They even tried to get me to sign a paper with my CC # and no amount on it & I of course refused. I am STILL fighting the charge and being called a liar by the hotel manager (after he told me he couldnt understand my english - because he doesnt speak english). The 800 # even tried to tell me that I should have known if I had looked at the website the pictures clearly show the room. THis is why I CALLED and spoke to an employee. I have informed them I WILL NEVER stay in any choice hotel ever again because of this, and I dont recommend that anyone does. They have the worst customer service I have ever seen in my life. And the Choice hotel people supposedly cant do anything about the money ($171!!!!). Never ever again will I or anyone I know ever use this brand of hotel ever again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank NoChoiceHotelsEVER
Essex, England
Reviewed 24 June 2009

Stayed here for one night - upon arrival there was no one on the check-in desk (a sign said helping a customer back in 5 minutes) ...I waited over 10 minutes!
Was given a room right next to the elevator, went back down to get the room changed reception was unmanned again. After a similar wait time my room was changed ( the motel was not full or busy - so why was I given a room next to the elevator in the first place?)
The room I ended up with was of a good size and clean, did not have a fridge or microwave though.
In the evening I attempted to use their computer to check my emails, the same member of staff who checked me in was on the computer, and did not readily want to "get off the computer". Once she did, the computer appeared to stop working so I gave up, did however manage to check my emails the next morning.
Breakfast was the usual selection, and was ok.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank t-m-c-m
Mass
Reviewed 24 February 2009

We really enjoyed our stay. Nice rooms, everything was very clean.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Americas Best Value Inn-Scarborough/Portland
Extended Stay America - Portland - Scarborough
Comfort Inn Airport
Comfort Inn Airport
#6 of 13 in South Portland

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!