“Rude, poor service”

Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Scarborough
Houlton, Maine
“Rude, poor service”
Reviewed 29 June 2010

We stayed at this hotel because it was recommended for its location and it appeared clean and well kept on the outside.
The girl at the front desk was not helpful when we checked in.
Our room smelled like men's cologne and there was a large dirty spot on the rug.
There was no mattress pad on the bed, the only thing between you and the mattress was the fitted sheet which slipped off.
We thought breakfast was served until 10:00 am on weekends and when we went in at 9:25, the same girl from the front desk took the food off of the counter just as we were reaching for it. She said "breakfast ends at 9:30 sharp, ka ching!" We could not believe what we were hearing and seeing!
What was supposed to be a nice stay with breakfast included, turned out to be a terrible experience. It definately ruined the start of that day.
We would not stay at that Comfort Inn again or recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank babg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 4 April 2010

I picked this Comfort inn because it's fairly new and had breakfast included. Unfortunately, there were a few glitches. I had to wait nearly 4 minutes at the front desk without anyone coming to greet me. I booked a king room online but apparently, when you book online an "accessible" room will show first. I asked the clerk if he could change my room to regular king, he could not for some reason.

The room was large, quiet, with nice furniture, flat-panel TV, nice and modern with fridge but no microwave. The bed was comfortable, room had many lamps, an iron and ironing board, alarm clock and hair dryer. The head board was not clean and many marks on it showed up when sunlight shined on it. TV had a fuzzy picture on all channels and no channel listing was provided. The in-room coffee maker came with only one coffee cup. A thin note pad was on the desk without a pencil.

Hotel amenities were okay but again, a few problems came up: 3rd floor ice machine was broken; pool water was not warm and had a lot of chlorine in it. A nice idea was the shower in the pool room to rinse off after swimming, but the showerhead hose had a leak and its wall hook was broken, like the one in my room’s shower... You also had to ask the front desk for a pool towel, like if they were a valuable item.

Continental breakfast was not very good. There was only 1 waffle iron and it was always busy. Batter came in paper cups but there was not enough to do a full waffle but they were very good. The rest was pretty bad: green bananas, toasts but only one kind of jelly, and no peanut butter! Juice machine had 4 dispense heads: 1 with water, 2 for orange juice (but one dispensed water) and one for apple juice. Both juices tasted awful and were obviously watered down. There was a big flat-panel TV on the wall of the breakfast area, but staff forgot to turn it on even 1/2 hour after the breakfast began.

When I checked out, the front desk clerk, maybe the manager, gave me my invoice, and did not even looked at me or thanked me, too busy doing paperwork...

One last problem, the parking lot does not extend all around the hotel, you have to back up, turn around... You have to park away from your room because of the lack of parking in the rear. To conclude, I’ve seen better at similar-sized and equipped hotels of other brands. This Comfort Inn is new but it does not mean better.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Pat-newengland
Bangor
Reviewed 2 April 2010

Traveled here from Bangor area for my wife's surgery. We had to hang around for a day afterwards before traveling, so basically just had to sit in our room and rest. Overall the room was clean. Knowing we were there for a surgery, because they give us a discount for it, they put us on the 3rd floor, in broom closet of a room next to the elevator. The cable tv reception was fuzzy, with no HBO as advertised. When we asked, we were told what channel it was, we said just a black screen, they said oh well, sorry. The sheets did not fit the bed properly, and constantly popped off during the night. The continental breakfast was poor, the waffles would not cook all the way through, and all the juice was watered down. This time of year the place wasn't busy, 16 cars total in the lot. They could have very easily moved us to a room that was more comfortable on the first floor with working tv, they just didn't want to really lift a finger. To do it again, we would stay at the Marriot or the Best Western right down the road, where I know I would get better service. I would not recommend staying here, not what you would expect from a large hotel chain.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank Helicopterlen

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

MA
Reviewed 25 February 2010

We randomly picked this hotel from an internet search of the area. The hotel was very clean, and the staff VERY pleasant. We stayed for 2 nights, the room was big enough for the 4 of us and the beds very comfortable. The breakfast with make your own waffles was a big hit with my kids. The pool was on the smaller side, but that wasn't an issue since there weren't that many folks using it. It was nicely heated and had a convenient shower you could use as well. The hotel is very close to Rte 1, and you would never know it. Our room was on the hotel entrance side of the building and we couldn't hear any road traffic at all. We turned the heater on when we arrived and it heated up nicely and we actually had to turn it back because it was so efficient. We plan to stay here again if we are in the area. Would recommend to other travelers.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
MDI, Maine
Reviewed 9 November 2009

My dog was having surgery nearby and I was referred to this hotel, by the hospital. The staff could not have been nicer. It was a stressful situation for me so having a comfortable, "home away from home" was so helpful. For anyone traveling with pets, I highly recommend this hotel. The grounds are perfect for walking your dogs and it's walking distance to the best pet emergency hospital around.
The rooms were beautiful and the hotel was extremely clean and beautifully decorated.
When I called to make my reservations, I spoke with Pat, who was like an old friend I hadn't met yet! Pat was wonderful, as well as Gina, who also worked the front desk. NIkki, in housekeeping, treated me like family and made sure I had everything I needed.
I can't say enough good things about this hotel and the staff. I will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Reno, NV
Reviewed 21 October 2009

Newly built hotel, so it has nice up-to-date decor, which is in good condition, with nice t.v. Didn't have a fridge or microwave in the room as advertised, but that was okay. Maybe I needed to ask for one specifically - not sure. They had a computer in the lobby with internet for guests to use for free. Good continental breakfast with a waffle iron to make waffles. Very nice, courteous staff; even the young college age "kids" who checked me in were extremely friendly - they even recommended a pizza place that delivers to rooms and accepts credit cards. Location wasn't that close to anything you would want to walk to, but it was only 10-15 minutes drive from downtown Portland, so that was fine. Overall great experience!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
MA
Reviewed 10 October 2009

These days, clean and comfortable are my greatest wants in a hotel room. This Comfort Inn is both, and their free continental breakfast is appreciated. It's not a full-service spread, but there are the usual cereals, juices, and the now-expected freshly made waffles.

I judge a hotel by the softness of the toilet paper and the size/softness of the towels. How did this one rate? TP is not super-soft, but it's durable and soft enough to be average. The towels are barely big enough to be called bath towels, and they are rather scratchy.

Nice, comfy mattresses, but I don't really believe they're queens. My husband and I are scrunched together, and this doesn't happen at home in our own queen bed. Four pillows on each bed, though, which is a plus.

Staff seems nice and helpful!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Americas Best Value Inn-Scarborough/Portland
Extended Stay America - Portland - Scarborough
Comfort Inn Airport
Comfort Inn Airport
#6 of 13 in South Portland

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!