“An expensive campground and they still nickel and dime you...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Scarborough
Bayley's Camping Resort
Brockton, Massachusetts
“An expensive campground and they still nickel and dime you...”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

This was my first time camping in 7years. I wanted to pick a great place since this was going to be a family trip and my grandkids (6 and 1 1/2) first time camping. I read trip advisor, posted on facebook and this place was recommended by two of my friends. I paid $187.62 for my site, that would cover 3 adults and my grandkids. For camping; thats pricey but I wanted a resort and felt that it would be best to pay a little more to get a little more. My advice; save the extra cash and go to a campground that is less expensive. Not that I disliked my trip, just didn't feel the love and cleanliness that I thought I would have.

Check in was painless and well organized.

I stayed in campsite; F9, which was right next to the playground. My site was really big, but I think it was only so big because between 9 and 10 there is a hill, so to set a tent in that area would be impossible. A friend stayed in F10 so what we did is put the fire pit in between the sites and used that hilly area as our place to hang out. That was cool. So my site I was happy with for the size but it was all dirt. No needles from trees, no grass, so we were literally dirty the whole three days we were there. Which is normal for camping but I mean we were dirty.

Loved that the playground was right next to my site, my 6yr old grandson was there the whole time we were at our site. We felt comfortable, could hear him with the kids.

What I didn't like is the cost of things. A bag of wood that only lasted 2.5-3hrs cost $10. A bag really didn't have much in it, especially if it lasted less than $3. If you take a left out of the campground and take your first left, there is a house about a mile down selling wood for $20 a block. That would be the better choice compared to buying a bag at the campground.

Activities; we did not do any. When I searched for a campground, I wanted a place to do activities but it just felt it wasn't full of organized activities. Also; this place is so big it just felt more comforting to stay close to the campsite vs walking to the front.

Bathrooms by F9 were not that clean. I took a shower once there and the shower backed up. I find that nasty. Just that overall bathroom area was just not kept up, had a ton of activity. However; you walk towards the front on your way there was a whole row of individual bathrooms. They were so nice and clean. Might be because it was near all the campers, but seriously when you got to really go, that was the place to walk to. =)

The trolly.. that worked fine. We made it to the beach. The location of this campground is great.

My friend came up to stay for the night and was sharing or going to share the site my friends were staying on. However; when he checked in they charged him $52 plus tax to set up a tent on a site we already were renting. I was/we were so mad. We already paid for the two sites, had the space and it was okay only if he paid that money. They would have not charged that fee if he was a family with kids on a site but since he came solo to join us they did. So what I did is took my smaller tent down on my site and put his bigger one up and he shared the tent with me and my grandson. We went back to the office and he got his refund/they were not happy. It was the principal of the whole thing and I just couldn't stand and can't stand a place that will nickel and dime you and that is what they were doing.

The restaurant was so hot. I walked in there to get a coffee (they charge Dunkin Donuts prices) and the place was steaming. I don't know about you but if your paying $2.80 for a large coffee you want it to be good. It was alright but not worth the price like a dunkin donuts coffee would be. Heck even Cumberlands charges 99 cents for a coffee.

I didn't eat there so I can't comment on the food. I did notice the prices looked high to me.

So in the end; I would rather try another campground in my future if I go back to that area then to return to this place. Was it horrible? No, it was not, but it wasn't as clean as I thought it would have been. The kids didn't need activities, a simple playground was perfect. The dance parties we never attended, to do any extra activities cost money, the wood bag was not worth $10, The place just overall was too big I think. I like to walk (I'm a hiker) but just the size overall was a little to much for what your trying to get from your camping experience. Folks starting their diesel trucks at 6am was not very welcoming and hearing the golf carts through out the night was not exactly quiet. A smaller campground you don't get that. Well you could get the truck/car starting but not the golfcarts.

Hope this helps you like other reviews helped me make my decision. Sometimes you have to try a place to realize if its for you. For me, for the money and then the extra money they tried to get out of us, and the cost of doing things and buying food there just bothers me. We had fun, enjoyed each others company and can't wait to get camping again with the family. I just will pay less money for my future camping trip somewhere else....

Room Tip: I did like the size of my tent site f9, right next to the playground and bathrooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank bstnldy

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

In a great location. Right near beach & lot fun local activities. But camp ground not best. Expensive, boring & dirty. we camp a lot & so far this place is my least favorite for my kids & myself. wont be returning here ever again

3 Thank amylee3
Newton, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

We likely would return due to the sheer location to Portland and OOB. The sites out in the new section are large but sold out when we booked in march for our August vacation. We ended up on a pull thru in the front. The camp is very good in reference to quiet hours but the sites are to tight it was almost unsafe to have a fire. We enjoyed the look of the sites out back and will reserve much earlier for them from now on. The noise during the day isn't outlandish for a campground of its size. The entertainment, store, and activities offered are exceptional except for the mini golf and resturant. Mini golf is run down and outdated and the resturant is gross food over priced. The selection of beer, wine, and food in the store is beyond excellent and the check in process was easy.

2 Thank 136LEOW
Bolton, Vermont
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Very disappointed, would never come here again. We paid over $200 for a tent site w/o any amenities and were few feet on top of other camper sites. Our fire pit had not grill top and we have no stove, we have been camping for 20+ years on open fire, when we asked for a grill top we were told we could buy one from their store! When I stated 5 sites around us had grill tops we got the "we don't guarantee this feature" When I said I have to make dinner for 2 small children, "sorry, we can't help you!"
The bathrooms were old and smelly and only flushed for the first day. Clearly this is a problem as they are building a new facility and the lovely roar of the nonstop jack hammer starts everyday in the A.M.
We never used the pools as they were cloudy and clearly unkempt.
The place was a joke and the biggest rip off.
The only nice feature was the dune buggy's you could rent to ride around the place. Of course they charge by 20 minute increments so don't have to much fun!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank mlocher
Sutton
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Our family just left this campground after a week of what we hoped would be a wonderful vacation with something for everyone in our group…unfortunately for us that just did not happen. Here are just a few words to describe our experience at Bayley’s Campground: unwelcoming; expensive; rude; restrictive; dirty; crowded and so disappointing. I feel they do not appreciate their customers at all and have no hospitality sense or customer service skills. This owner doesn’t care if you come back or not, the next customer is right behind you. Fishing was terrible; we found no bait on site, the fish only go for minnows or shiners and we actually saw a fish spit out a live worm. Was told the owner feeds fish shiners only so why would they want a worm! Pools were disgusting, when I asked why the pool was so cloudy a staff member told us the filter had not been working for 3 days, they were waiting for a part! They continued to let people swim...the board of health would have shut this pool down immediately if they had known!!!!! I can’t believe our grandchildren were in it for the short time they were.

The first night we were there security came and told us we were too loud and we quickly responded and did as he asked. The next morning I was summoned to see the owner Tom in his office. Feeling like I was going to the principal’s office in grade school I immediately went to see him. He informed us there were several complaints about our noise levels the night before and that in all his years WE had the most complaints ever! I apologized sincerely and said it would not happen again. The remaining vacation went downhill from there; we all felt like we were being watched and if we had made one wrong move we would be asked to leave. We had our two small Grandchildren with us and certainly did not want to disappoint them...felt like we were walking on eggshells the remaining stay. The fourth night I came back from a late stop at the grocery store after 11pm (quite time) and found a “security” guard in front of our cabin just sitting there with his lights off…very creepy. I asked if there was a problem, he pointed to my husband on the porch and said he was being too loud…he had sneezed too loud several times!!! I lost my mind and went to the office and spoke to the “head” of security and asked to speak to the person that was creeping outside our cabin. He asked why so I proceeded to inform him of what had just happened and that I was upset and feeling unwelcome there. The other person with him did confirm we were being watched because of the complaint on our first night. After spending $2800 on accommodations and being soooo disappointed we will never recommend or stay at Bayley’s Camping Resort again!

Please see past reviews Aug 10 2010 drounder; August 2010, NiciR_10; July 2010 sumnertrue.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank dangeli1456
Bennington, Vermont
Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

My family and two sets of friends stayed at bayleys for 7 days. This was our first time here and we were very excited to come. Everyone said it was awesome. What I found was not so great. It was very far from the center of old orchard beach and the bathrooms are older and a bait run down. The best part of the while trip though was sitting around the fire and worrying about whether or not the skunks were going to come back. One might we even had one in the steps to our camper.. I also was not impressed with the fact that they are a family friendly resort and they have no kids jacuzzis. For the price of this campground we definitely were expecting more.. We will not be returning..

3 Thank Stephanie G
Alton, Maine, United States
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We stayed at this campground a couple weeks ago and had a fantastic time. There was so much stuff going on that you would never get bored. We were only here for a few days so there was so much more we wanted and didn't get to do that we will probably be back again in the near future. We really enjoyed the big Whoopie pies that they were selling in the Cafe so much that we went for the deal of 2 for $5.00. The food in the cafe was very yummy we ate breakfast there 2 days in a row. We really liked that this campground is near two relaxing beaches(Old Orchard & Pine Point)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tammy Y
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Americas Best Value Inn-Scarborough/Portland
Black Point Inn Resort
Black Point Inn Resort
#3 of 13 in Scarborough
Wild Acres RV Resort and Campground
Wild Acres RV Resort and Campgro...
#3 of 23 in Old Orchard Beach
Wagon Wheel RV Resort and Campground
Wagon Wheel RV Resort and Campgr...
#7 of 23 in Old Orchard Beach

Been to Bayley's Camping Resort? Share your experiences!