Extended Stay America - Portland - Scarborough
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Scarborough
Belchertown, MA
“Ok stay”
Reviewed 21 July 2012

The first room we were given was not that nice. When I turned the sheets down, there was a hair and dirt. I called the front desk and she came up to inspect the sheets. Then we were given another room. Much cleaner. The window was not. But after closing the curtains, it didn't matter. Front desk staff was nice and friendly.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Lee225, Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Scarborough, responded to this review, 31 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. Given our company's commitment to superior guest service, it was great to read about your positive experience with our staff. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. You certainly have my sincerest apologies.

We know that you have several lodging options, which is why it is so important to us that we provide you with a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price. The description you presented of your accommodation is not representative of our quality standards. In order to meet our standards, we have strict procedures which are meant to prevent a situation like yours from occurring: in particular, we replace linens with fresh, clean bedding and inspect all rooms prior to making them available. I take your comments very seriously, so, I have met with our hotel management and staff to prevent such a situation from occurring again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Skippack, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 June 2012

The key didn't work the first time. Had to go back to have it reprogrammed. Then, to find out the room was in a mess & not cleaned at all. No ice machine just 2 trays in the freezer. Don't know why all the windows were masked with a heavy sheet of plastic so I can't even see what's happening outside.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Edwin C
, Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Scarborough, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Dear Edwin,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts on your recent stay. We appreciate your comments and want you to know that we read them thoroughly and take them to heart.

I apologize that your check-in did not go smoothly; we will make sure this does not happen in the future. We are painting the exterior of the property at this time, so your windows were covered with transparent plastic for protection. This is simply a temporary procedure and should have been explained to you; I'm sorry it was not. The hotel is also undergoing a complete interior renovation beginning in October, which we are very excited about. We hope that you will stay with us again should you visit the Portland area again.

Thank you again for your comments. Please feel free to contact us with any questions.
Shreveport-Bossier
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Booked this room through Priceline as we were in need of a clean, secure hotel for a late-night flight arriving in Portland, ME. We're seasoned travelers so we realize anytime you book a 2 Star by the airport, you'll get mixed results. This is one of those not-so-favorable results.
We checked in late on a Memorial Day weekend and got to our room. Within seconds of opening the door we were hit with the reek of a cigarette-smoke saturated room. This was no mistake as I spotted an ashtray on the table as I put the luggage in the room. Thinking that opening the windows might reduce the smell, I slide them open but after a few minutes we could tell this wasn't going to do much good. I noted the handle on the recliner chair had teeth-marks on it which indicated that this was a "pet-friendly" hotel as well adding another concern (i.e. any flea treatment for the carpet?). Anyway... I went back to the front desk and asked the night manager if we might get moved to a "non-smoking room" to which he replied that they were "full up". Since it was past midnight, we resigned to staying thinking one night wouldn't be so bad but we were so wrong about that. The cigarette stench was simply horrible. We've put up with cigarette smells in the past but this was by far the worst we've ever encountered.
We didn't sleep much with the windows wide open as to hearing an occasional traffic sound or door slam in the parking lot. My sinuses burned and after we checked out our clothes smelled as if we were up all night in a smokey bar. I really don't think this room has had any smoke remediation at all. Definitely our first experience with Extended Stay America and it will be our last. Won't try a 2 Star bid on priceline ever again, either!

Room Tip: Consider 2 stars may not be the best choice in terms of "extra mile service" as far as roo...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Scarborough, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay America Portland - Scarborough. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

We know that our guests have multiple hotel choices, which is why we strive so hard to accommodate them with clean, comfortable rooms at an exceptional price. In order to meet the needs of our guests, we designate certain rooms for smokers and the rest for non-smokers. Guests who request non-smoking rooms should always be placed in an available non-smoking room. Clearly, we did not have an available non-smoking room at the time of your arrival – and for that, I apologize.

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

North Western, New Brunswick
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Booked this hotel through priceline for a reduced rate. It's what you would expect a 2 star hotel to be. The room itself was a little dated but beds were comfortable and the bedding was clean as well as the room. Biggest issue was the very strong smell of smoke in the hallway and the elevator, room itself was fine. The manager was very nice and gave me a room with 2 beds for no extra charge. The best thing about this hotel is that it is fairly close to a lot of the stores/mall but it's in a very quiet area so no noise from traffic. Although not all used during our visit, the fridge, stove, microwave and toaster were also nice to have. Just don't expect a 5 star hotel and you won't be disappointed with this place, especially for the reduced rate through priceline.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Scarborough, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Extended Stay America Portland Scarborough, Maine. We thank you for the time taken to let us know where we can improve our services to our guests. We are pleased that you found your room to be satisfactory and that you felt the cleanliness of the room and bed linens were up to your expectations. We will certainly strive to improve our services and will make it a point to ensure that steps are taken to reduce the smoke smell in our guest rooms by reviewing procedures that are already in place and making sure they are being followed. Thank you again for your comments. We look forward to being of service to you again real soon.
Old Orchard Beach, Maine, United States
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I lived with my girlfriend for nearly 2 years in a unit of the 3rd floor in the Scarborough, ME/S. Portland, ME location. We had zero noise disturbances, excellent hospitality, and were very satisfied with the building's 4 season maintenence. I am still surprised at how noise never got to us. The front desk staff, headed by manager Nathan, are gregarious and always willing to help. We always loved to talk with Glenn, who runs the front desk most always. Laundry service is excellent as well. My girlfriend and I had to leave ESA Scarborough/S. Portland due to job reasons, but otherwise I doubt we would have left. Things were nice living there, and after Nathan became manager things really became more hospitable, the elevator ran correct, and a host of other positive changes took effect.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Clint D
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Scarborough, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Clint,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Extended Stay America – Scarborough, Maine. I appreciate the time taken to tell us of your satisfaction with your room and with our TEAM we now have in place. It really pleased me to see that you indeed saw a difference since Nathan has been at this hotel even though you enjoyed your stay before his appointment as General Manager.

I will be certain to let Nathan know of your comments and I will take the time to give Glenn a call as well. Glenn has been a staple at the front desk and he does a very good job for us. It is nice to know that others also find his dedication to service as exemplary as I do.

Thank you again for your kind regards. We hope to see you soon again in Scarborough should you find yourself in the area again. Otherwise, there are over 680 additional locations nationwide that provide clean, comfortable rooms with exemplary service. Best wishes!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

We were a bit cautious after reading a few of the reviews, but ended up having a pleasant stay here. As several reviewers have mentioned, the bed was a bit hard, the TV small, and toiletries are not provided.
That said, the (1st floor) room was clean and quiet. The gentleman working at the desk was accommodating both over the phone and in person. He also offered to provide toiletries and additional coffee if we requested it. We traveled with our dog and she enjoyed a few short walks behind the hotel. The kitchenette would have been ideal if our stay was longer. All in all we were pleased with our choice and thought it was a great value.

• Stayed April 2012
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Scarborough, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to let us know about your experience at Extended Stay America Portland - Scarborough. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. We strive to provide a "home away from home" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition.

Again, thank you for your comments. We are glad to count you among the many people who enjoy their stay and take the time to tell us about it. We truly appreciate the feedback.
Scarborough, Maine
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I must say that when my wife and I first came to ESA Scarborough, over 2 1/2 years ago we were only impressed the first night. We had travelled quite a distance and were too tired to notice much. The manager at the time was an older lady (name long forgotten) with the most abusive and apathetic behavior I have ever seen, Being that my wife's first 6 months were paid by her employer we still stayed. Within days I notice homless people sleeping in the hallways or the trash rooms, unless the trash room had not been cleaned in over a week (even the bums woukdn't go in then.) Before long the trash rooms were always being visited by bottle and can collectors and trash was always scatted about the doors . There was a gang that wrote all over the walls and prowled the hallways. They smoked weed and cigarettes everywhere in the building. Often they sat in the stair wells smoking and we were forced to go around or confront them. I could go on and on about the environment and condition of the building at that time but that is the past. Finally manager #2 shows up because the lady manager "retired". Well to be brief nothing and I mean nothing changed at all except now dogs were defacating in the hallways, stairwells and on the steps. I also can not tell you the number of hypo needles and crack piples I saw scattered in the back parking lot and even the hallway floors. Every complaint to this and the previous manager fell on deaf ears. I can't tell you how many times I saw strangers and the "gang" checking out cars, urinating on the outside walls, knocking all the lights off the 2nd floor walls (exit signs as well.} To be quite honest this was an extrememly dangerous place to stay and that can be noted by the constant police presence. I made a lot of complaints to the point where my life was threatened by the "gang". By the way..the "gang" were children that belonged to a lady staying on the 2nd floor. The first manager I spoke about rented her, her 5 kids (4 of which were teens,} and 2 pitbulls a single room!! Once I actually got on the elevator as one of her sons was letting the dog crap on the elevator floor!!
But...as the title states, times have changed. Nate came from someplace about a year ago and took charge of this dump on the very first day! Within weeks the "Gang" was gone, worthless staff and maids were replaced...it became a methodic transformation into a friendly, well maintained and safe place to be. He actually rolled up his sleeves and started doing repairs because he released the worthless maintenence man and was looking for a new one. I can tell you without hesitation this place now rivals, if not exceeds any ESA in America. My wife spent time at the ESA in Simi Valley, California. At that time there was no other that met their standards.....Nate has exceeded theirs. HIs new staff, Assistant Manager and standards are superior and to be honest not expected at an ESA. I would tell anyone...come here and enjoy your stay in what is now a wonderfuk place to stay. The price is right, the ammenities are perfect and the rooms are spotless.

Room Tip: 3rd floor is for smokers, 2nd floor has a slight smoke odor, 1st floor is perfect.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Dean J
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Scarborough, responded to this review, 1 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay America Portland - Scarborough. Given our company's commitment to superior guest service, it was great to read about your positive experience with our present management and staff. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay hasn’t been 100% satisfactory over the years. You certainly have my sincerest apologies for what has happened in the past at the hotel, but I do appreciate the time you took to tell us in detail what happened to you. I am relieved that you are pleased with the new management and staff. Thanks to them, revised training standards, and hotel upgrades, we now achieve an outstanding level of guest satisfaction.

Although it is unusual for a guest to have the experience you did while staying with us, we would like to use your account to help us make our hotel even better. Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day going forward. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me or to our guest relations team directly by visiting our website and clicking the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Homewood Suites by Hilton Portland
Ramada Plaza Portland
#12 of 19 in Portland
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,512 reviews
Americas Best Value Inn-Scarborough/Portland

Been to Extended Stay America - Portland - Scarborough? Share your experiences!