“One word, grand.”

Black Point Inn Resort
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Scarborough
“One word, grand.”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We have been to the Black Point on two prior occasions, it continues to be wonderful. We had a king room with a deck, pool and ocean views. Everything was very clean and tidy, the service friendly and accommodating. Dinner was delightful, the servers attentive. I would definitely return, again and again. Would have given an EXCELLENT review except that we had a connecting room and the two doors separating the rooms are paper thin, if there is such a thing! We could literally hear every word being said in the next room, and found ourselves whispering as to not be heard, definitely took away from the visit. For the price of the room, one would definitely expect privacy, this was not an issue on our two prior visits.

Room Tip: Be sure that your room is not a connecting room as you can hear every word in the next room.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank GottaloveMaine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My husband and I recently returned from a 3-night stay at the Black Point Inn and were impressed with the experience, from start to finish. We had a king room with a deck on the bay side of the inn. The room was clean and spacious, the bed, extremely comfortable, and the bathroom was both immaculate and bright. Two large, wicker rocking chairs on the deck balcony provided the perfect vantage point for enjoying the stunning bay view while relaxing with a glass of wine.

A crackling fire in the lobby greeted us in the early morning hours as we descended the polished, curved, mahogany staircase for coffee and was a welcomed treat during the chilly evenings.

As residents of the NYC metro area, we’re accustomed to fine dining and found the restaurant to be on par with some of the best. The breakfasts, served on the veranda, couldn’t have been more fresh and delicious. The ocean air and beautiful views were the perfect backdrop. The whole experience was enhanced by the impeccable, friendly service exhibited by each member of the staff.

We initially chose to stay at the Black Point Inn because of its proximity to other events we had planned nearby. Now, after having enjoyed the quintessential Maine experience at this beautiful inn, we are eager to return again and again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bronte m
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 July 2013

This was our third visit to this wonderful historic Inn and we can't say enough about the impeccable service, the engaging staff, and the exquisite setting which affords access to both the beautiful bay and ocean. The front desk, especially Wanda and Courtney, were extremely helpful in providing us the information we needed and helping us to get settled into our rooms. The kitchen prepared a wonderful menu for us and the other guests for the four days we were there, with Jim making certain the food was prepared as we ordered, and served as we liked. The wait staff was exceptional and engaging, with everyone quite familiar with the menu and able to confidently answer every question regarding the preparation and choices available. The General Manager, Phil, was accessible and everywhere, making certain the Inn operated with great efficiency and ensuring that the needs of every guest were accommodated. If you are looking for a romantic relaxing getaway on the south coast of Maine, don't bother looking at any other option. This Inn is extremely well managed by people who really care and will do everything possible to make certain that you are having an enjoyable stay. We are planning a return visit this September.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bob r
Reviewed 7 July 2013

My husband and I had a really nice, relaxing stay here. It's a historic inn, and has a romantic feel. When you walk up the front steps, you can smell the fireplace burning in the lobby, which is wonderful (they light the fire year round, even though it was a 90 degree weekend!) We purchased the MAP (Modern American Plan) with our stay, which gave us breakfast, dinner and afternoon tea included in our room rate. I had read other reviews saying that the food at the Pointe Restaurant (the formal restaurant) was not that good, and I have to disagree. Dinner was fabulous! My husband and I eat at a lot of very nice restaurants, and we are picky, and the meal we had was delicious. With the MAP, you can order anything you want off the menu, as many courses as you would like. We had a first appetizer course, salad course, main dish, and dessert. The filet is fabulous, my husband eats a lot of steak houses in Boston and said this filet was one of the most tender he has had. We also ate at the more casual restaurant for lunch and breakfast, and both were delicious. We played tennis at the nearby courts ($20 per hour), and did the Cliff Walk, and spent time walking both nearby beaches. One thing I would definitely recommend is to BRING BUG SPRAY!! The mosquitos were aggressive, and we were ok once we were sprayed down, but would have been miserable without the bug spray. We will definitely return here, beautiful inn, great food, pleasant staff, fabulous views...a perfect weekend!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LovetoGetAway5555
maine
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We dined at the Black Point Inn several years ago before its change of hands and renovation. At that time the food was basic, but good. I wish I could say the same about our meal this week, but that's not the case. My dinner was awful; my husband's good, but left him hungry.
I began with a $9 arugula salad that the menu said was garnished with blueberries and goat cheese. I counted five berries and could barely spot any cheese. Our friend ordered the same salad and reported the same. My scallop dinner came with four scallops. If they were good, the small portion might have been acceptable, but they were extremely salty and one, which I only ate part of, tasted "off." I eat scallops often and they're supposed to be sweet. These weren't. They were accompanied by a pile of greens topped with a few shoestring potato sticks. $34. We're accustomed to these prices for fine dining, but this was far from it which is unfortunate because the setting is lovely. We won't be back.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mainewriter
NYC
Reviewed 17 June 2013

My partner and I spent the Memorial Day weekend at the Black Point Inn and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
The inn is located toward the end of Prout's Neck, which is a gorgeous, relaxing area. It's proximity to Portland (~10 minutes by car) made it a nice place to have convenient access to the city.
We opted for one of the few rooms that had a balcony with views of both the bay and ocean. While the room was on the plain side, it was very comfortable.
Our rate included breakfast and dinner. We enjoyed both meals - the food was generally very good (not spectacular).
Besides the setting, which includes easy access to both the bay and ocean beaches as well as a cliff walk, we particularly enjoyed the friendliness of the staff.
Front desk personnel and restaurant staff were all easygoing and friendly.
Would we return? Absolutely!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 12 June 2013

My husband and I spent a few nights at the Black Point Inn in 2006. I loved the charming Inn and encouraged my daughter to have her wedding here over other places in Maine. It lived up to all my hopes for a memorable, beautiful place for her wedding. Landice, the planner, was wonderful, efficient, well organized and great to have as our contact and helper. Despite the new staff since it was the first weekend of the season, everything was perfect. Everything was well done, and beautiful. If I had another daughter, I would definitely have it at the Black Point Inn.
My daughter wanted to have an outside wedding, but the weather was not perfect, overcast, so the Atlantic room was set up for a beautiful event.

Room Tip: We had a one bedroom suite, it was very nice and comfortable.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Higgins Beach Inn
Best Western Merry Manor Inn
Best Western Merry Manor Inn
#2 of 13 in South Portland
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,246 reviews

Been to Black Point Inn Resort? Share your experiences!