“2nd time dining - better each year!”

Black Point Inn Resort
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 24 July 2013

My wife and I had our wedding dinner at the in just over a year ago and went back to celebrate our first anniversary. The best service either of us have ever had and food to match. I can't remember what the cocktail was that my wife chose, but it also was in the "best ever" category. The deserts were in a category all their own, however. Amazing all the way around. This will be our anniversary tradition from now on.

5  Thank fortwilliams09

Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

This was my second time here and it was super busy and took forever. Last year we just had a drink and sat in the chairs on the lawn and watched the sunset (might want bugspray). This year they were nice and squeezed our party of 7 into the pub, but it took FOREVER to get our food and even longer for 1 piece of pie. I think they were just slammed because the weather was nice and it hadn't been for awhile. However, for the view, they could have any restaurant here and people would go. So you should too. Just call ahead or sit outside and skip the dinner.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank K G
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We have been to the Black Point on two prior occasions, it continues to be wonderful. We had a king room with a deck, pool and ocean views. Everything was very clean and tidy, the service friendly and accommodating. Dinner was delightful, the servers attentive. I would definitely return, again and again. Would have given an EXCELLENT review except that we had a connecting room and the two doors separating the rooms are paper thin, if there is such a thing! We could literally hear every word being said in the next room, and found ourselves whispering as to not be heard, definitely took away from the visit. For the price of the room, one would definitely expect privacy, this was not an issue on our two prior visits.

Room Tip: Be sure that your room is not a connecting room as you can hear every word in the next room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank GottaloveMaine
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My husband and I recently returned from a 3-night stay at the Black Point Inn and were impressed with the experience, from start to finish. We had a king room with a deck on the bay side of the inn. The room was clean and spacious, the bed, extremely comfortable, and the bathroom was both immaculate and bright. Two large, wicker rocking chairs on the deck balcony provided the perfect vantage point for enjoying the stunning bay view while relaxing with a glass of wine.

A crackling fire in the lobby greeted us in the early morning hours as we descended the polished, curved, mahogany staircase for coffee and was a welcomed treat during the chilly evenings.

As residents of the NYC metro area, we’re accustomed to fine dining and found the restaurant to be on par with some of the best. The breakfasts, served on the veranda, couldn’t have been more fresh and delicious. The ocean air and beautiful views were the perfect backdrop. The whole experience was enhanced by the impeccable, friendly service exhibited by each member of the staff.

We initially chose to stay at the Black Point Inn because of its proximity to other events we had planned nearby. Now, after having enjoyed the quintessential Maine experience at this beautiful inn, we are eager to return again and again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bronte m
Reviewed 15 July 2013

This was our third visit to this wonderful historic Inn and we can't say enough about the impeccable service, the engaging staff, and the exquisite setting which affords access to both the beautiful bay and ocean. The front desk, especially Wanda and Courtney, were extremely helpful in providing us the information we needed and helping us to get settled into our rooms. The kitchen prepared a wonderful menu for us and the other guests for the four days we were there, with Jim making certain the food was prepared as we ordered, and served as we liked. The wait staff was exceptional and engaging, with everyone quite familiar with the menu and able to confidently answer every question regarding the preparation and choices available. The General Manager, Phil, was accessible and everywhere, making certain the Inn operated with great efficiency and ensuring that the needs of every guest were accommodated. If you are looking for a romantic relaxing getaway on the south coast of Maine, don't bother looking at any other option. This Inn is extremely well managed by people who really care and will do everything possible to make certain that you are having an enjoyable stay. We are planning a return visit this September.

1  Thank bob r
Reviewed 7 July 2013

My husband and I had a really nice, relaxing stay here. It's a historic inn, and has a romantic feel. When you walk up the front steps, you can smell the fireplace burning in the lobby, which is wonderful (they light the fire year round, even though it was a 90 degree weekend!) We purchased the MAP (Modern American Plan) with our stay, which gave us breakfast, dinner and afternoon tea included in our room rate. I had read other reviews saying that the food at the Pointe Restaurant (the formal restaurant) was not that good, and I have to disagree. Dinner was fabulous! My husband and I eat at a lot of very nice restaurants, and we are picky, and the meal we had was delicious. With the MAP, you can order anything you want off the menu, as many courses as you would like. We had a first appetizer course, salad course, main dish, and dessert. The filet is fabulous, my husband eats a lot of steak houses in Boston and said this filet was one of the most tender he has had. We also ate at the more casual restaurant for lunch and breakfast, and both were delicious. We played tennis at the nearby courts ($20 per hour), and did the Cliff Walk, and spent time walking both nearby beaches. One thing I would definitely recommend is to BRING BUG SPRAY!! The mosquitos were aggressive, and we were ok once we were sprayed down, but would have been miserable without the bug spray. We will definitely return here, beautiful inn, great food, pleasant staff, fabulous views...a perfect weekend!

1  Thank LovetoGetAway5555
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We dined at the Black Point Inn several years ago before its change of hands and renovation. At that time the food was basic, but good. I wish I could say the same about our meal this week, but that's not the case. My dinner was awful; my husband's good, but left him hungry.
I began with a $9 arugula salad that the menu said was garnished with blueberries and goat cheese. I counted five berries and could barely spot any cheese. Our friend ordered the same salad and reported the same. My scallop dinner came with four scallops. If they were good, the small portion might have been acceptable, but they were extremely salty and one, which I only ate part of, tasted "off." I eat scallops often and they're supposed to be sweet. These weren't. They were accompanied by a pile of greens topped with a few shoestring potato sticks. $34. We're accustomed to these prices for fine dining, but this was far from it which is unfortunate because the setting is lovely. We won't be back.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mainewriter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall
Homewood Suites by Hilton Portland
Inn At Diamond Cove
Inn At Diamond Cove
#12 of 20 in Portland

Been to Black Point Inn Resort? Share your experiences!