Dates of Stay: Friday, September 20th - Sunday, September 22nd
Location: Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall is conveniently located off interstates I-95 & I-295. It is less than one mile to the Maine Mall, 2 miles to the airport, 3 miles to the Amtrak station, and approximately 6 miles to Old Port. The entrance is not your typical hotel entrance. We actually drove around the building thinking this was just a secondary entrance.
Value: As Marriott rewards members, we used two of our free night certificates, earned from Marriott's recent promo. Otherwise, our room would have been $179.00, but much less than the $300 we would have paid in downtown Portland. What I love about Fairfield Inn's is that they offer complimentary parking, WiFi, and breakfast. All small expenses, that can really add up, especially for a long stay.
Room: We stayed in Room 320, which was small & had a very odd layout. There was no closet, just a small shelf with a hanging bar & a few clothes hangers. The ironing board & iron were mounted to the wall, and I actually backed into the iron as we were wheeling the luggage cart into the room. The bathroom was also very small, and you could not sit on the toilet without hugging the shower curtain. I've been in handicapped accessible stalls & cruise ship bathrooms, larger than this bathroom. Even the safety bar in the tub was in a peculiar spot. You think it would be centered on the back wall, where it could be grasped easily, if taking a shower or bath. However, this bar was installed on the wall with the shower head and nozzles. I'm not sure if this layout is typical at this location, but I have never encountered it at a Fairfield Inn before.
Housekeeping: Since this was a short visit, we placed the Do Not Disturb sign on our door for the duration of the stay, so I cannot attest to the daily housekeeping service. Upon arrival, the room appeared to be clean and in order. Later, I noticed there was black grunge around the mounts for the tub's safety bar. We also kept battling the sheets the first night. At first, we thought the fitted sheet was just two big for the mattress, and would not stay in place. Then we realized that it was actually the mattress pad, that had not been secured properly.
Front Desk: Check In/Out was swift and efficient. For being a Marriott Gold member, I received a complimentary welcome gift, which included a bottle of water, a small bag of goldfish & a York peppermint patty. A very nice gesture. What really impressed me about the hotel staff, is that several people were assisting with breakfast, including one of the managers. I have never seen this much participation from the front desk staff before, and it was very refreshing. On Saturday evening, they were going room to room offering complimentary cookies & milk. It was raining the day we departed, and one of the front desk associates escorted me to my car, with a giant umbrella. This hotel definitely has a good team, and I hope they continue to provide the little extras, that set them apart!
Summary: Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I had planned to rate this hotel with 3 stars, but the staff's performance and attitude, is what earned them the 4 stars! If it had not been for the quirky room and the other minor issues, I would have given the Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall 5 stars.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our hotel in South Portland is only two miles from Portlaind International Jetport (PWM) and 1/2 mile from Portland Maine Mall. Guests enjoy comfortable guest rooms, free high speed internet and complimentary hot break buffet during every stay at our South Portland hotel. Between 4:30pm and 7pm daily, join us in the lobby for an evening reception featuring light fare and non-alcholic beverages. We provide a local shuttle within a 5 mile radius and complimentary roundtrip airport transportation from 4am to 11pm. Visit us in the warmer months and enjoy the only heated outdoor pool in the area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Expedia, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairfield Inn Portland/ Maine Mall Hotel Scarborough
- Fairfield Inn Scarborough
- Fairfield Scarborough
- Scarborough Fairfield Inn
- Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall Scarborough