“Great Location & Staff”

Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Dates of Stay: Friday, September 20th - Sunday, September 22nd

Location: Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall is conveniently located off interstates I-95 & I-295. It is less than one mile to the Maine Mall, 2 miles to the airport, 3 miles to the Amtrak station, and approximately 6 miles to Old Port. The entrance is not your typical hotel entrance. We actually drove around the building thinking this was just a secondary entrance.

Value: As Marriott rewards members, we used two of our free night certificates, earned from Marriott's recent promo. Otherwise, our room would have been $179.00, but much less than the $300 we would have paid in downtown Portland. What I love about Fairfield Inn's is that they offer complimentary parking, WiFi, and breakfast. All small expenses, that can really add up, especially for a long stay.

Room: We stayed in Room 320, which was small & had a very odd layout. There was no closet, just a small shelf with a hanging bar & a few clothes hangers. The ironing board & iron were mounted to the wall, and I actually backed into the iron as we were wheeling the luggage cart into the room. The bathroom was also very small, and you could not sit on the toilet without hugging the shower curtain. I've been in handicapped accessible stalls & cruise ship bathrooms, larger than this bathroom. Even the safety bar in the tub was in a peculiar spot. You think it would be centered on the back wall, where it could be grasped easily, if taking a shower or bath. However, this bar was installed on the wall with the shower head and nozzles. I'm not sure if this layout is typical at this location, but I have never encountered it at a Fairfield Inn before.

Housekeeping: Since this was a short visit, we placed the Do Not Disturb sign on our door for the duration of the stay, so I cannot attest to the daily housekeeping service. Upon arrival, the room appeared to be clean and in order. Later, I noticed there was black grunge around the mounts for the tub's safety bar. We also kept battling the sheets the first night. At first, we thought the fitted sheet was just two big for the mattress, and would not stay in place. Then we realized that it was actually the mattress pad, that had not been secured properly.

Front Desk: Check In/Out was swift and efficient. For being a Marriott Gold member, I received a complimentary welcome gift, which included a bottle of water, a small bag of goldfish & a York peppermint patty. A very nice gesture. What really impressed me about the hotel staff, is that several people were assisting with breakfast, including one of the managers. I have never seen this much participation from the front desk staff before, and it was very refreshing. On Saturday evening, they were going room to room offering complimentary cookies & milk. It was raining the day we departed, and one of the front desk associates escorted me to my car, with a giant umbrella. This hotel definitely has a good team, and I hope they continue to provide the little extras, that set them apart!

Summary: Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I had planned to rate this hotel with 3 stars, but the staff's performance and attitude, is what earned them the 4 stars! If it had not been for the quirky room and the other minor issues, I would have given the Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall 5 stars.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OUTCRUISIN2610
Alisha S, Manager at Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2013

Dear OUTCRUISIN2610, thank you so much for your comments concerning your stay at the Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall. We are so pleased that you found our staff impressive and our location convenient. We are just thrilled that you gave us 4 stars despite our slightly quirky rooms:) Please come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Place was great. Staff was attentive and friendly. They missed my Marriott status but were always checking to see if they could make the stay better. It was a bit too much at times but they always made an effort and did lots of little things that make this one of my top hotels in Portland.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank dubdub0

Dear dubdub0, thank you so much for your kind comments concerning your stay at teh Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall! We are so pleased that you found our staff attentive and friendly. We are so pleased that we are one of your top hotels in Portland! Please come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed 2 October 2013

my fiancee was having surgery at the OA Center and we thought our initial bath was slightly small to accommodate crutches. We requested a bigger bath and Erica and three other staff members were on it quicker than we could explain our situation. A service manager was painting the front walkway and showed genuine concern for my fiancee's situation, talking about his most recent surgery. He put his paint brush down on more than one occasion to get the elevator and came up to the second floor to get the door. A staff member knocked at out door at about six thirty with milk fresh baked cookies and fruit. My only regret about writing this review is that the people reading it are going to think that an employee or the company wrote it, but I assure you that's not the case.

Keith Ouellette

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank keithocpd909

Dear keithocdp909, thank you so much for your kind comments concerning your stay at the Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall. We are so pleased that we were able to accomodate you and your fiancees needs so quickly. Our staff is always eager to please!! Thank you so much for staying with us. Come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed 2 October 2013

From the time you walk in the door, Jay, Katherine, Anna, Erica, Donna and Roberta make you feel as thou you have just come back home. The strive to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as humanly possible. Without a doubt, this Fairfield Inn family is a must stop.

Room Tip: Any room you get is quiet and comfortable. The A/C and heat are quiet running.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Edward M
Alisha S, Manager at Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

Dear Edward M, thank you so much for your kind comments concerning your stay at the Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall! Our entire staff is pleased that you felt at home here. We do try to make everyone's stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible and can't wait to have you back again!

Reviewed 1 October 2013

I stayed at the Fairfield Inn for three days earlier this month, and the helpfulness, thoughtfulness and accommodation was absolutely outstanding. Every staff member was consistently welcoming and helpful. Beverly, in particular, was exceptionally kind and accommodating-- I was with my sister-in-law and her young daughter in their room when Beverly came by all the rooms during the late afternoon to offer snacks and crayons and activity books to kids. She informed us that there were freshly-made cookies downstairs, and when she saw that we were busy assembling wedding favors for my upcoming wedding, she left and came back to bring us cookies personally, and even offered my sister-in-law's daughter more activity books and her choice of little stuffed animals that the hotel must have had on hand. The rooms themselves were comfortable and clean and very reasonably priced. There was a "Manager's Reception" every day at about 430PM, when soup, salad, apple cider, coffee and other snacks were offered for guests. The reception and breakfast common area was warm, large and inviting. We could have easily hung out in front of the fireplace with hot cocoa and coffee that was offered around the clock. The Fairfield Inn was also located at a very convenient location-- accessible to the shopping and major highways. Great stay. My guests and I were extremely impressed and satisfied.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank PinayATL

Dear PinayATL, thank you so much for your kind comments concerning your stay at the Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall. We are so pleased that you found our staff welcoming and helpful, Beverly in particular and that you enjoyed our clean rooms and evening manager's reception. Please come back and stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Very nice staff, wonderful service. They went the extra mile. Provided breakfast and dinner everyday that we were there. Location was good, surrounded by lots of shopping.
Room was standard. They had a fun survey.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank DanaO1

Dear Dana01, thank you so much for your kind comments concerning your stay at the Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall. We are so pleased that you found our staff nice and willing to go the extra mile! Please come back and stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 30 September 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Fairfield Inn in Portland. From the moment we walked in the door, the staff went out of their way to be helpful. We had a issue with the refrigerator and the A/C in our room. Brad, the maintenance man, replaced the fridge about 5 minutes after we told them of the problem and also fixed the A/C unit to the best of his ability. When he was unable to fix the A/C, He offered a number of different scenarios to accommodate us. What a welcome change it was to stay in a hotel where the staff's first commitment was to make sure we had a nice stay. I highly recommend this Inn.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Sherry C

Dear Sherry C, thank you so much for your comments concerning your stay at the Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall! We are so pleased that you found our staff willing to go out of their way to be helpful. We are also happy that Brad was able to offer you several options after he was unable to fix your AC. Thank you for recommending our hotel and we hope to see you back again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Homewood Suites by Hilton Portland
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland
Best Western Merry Manor Inn
Best Western Merry Manor Inn
#2 of 13 in South Portland

Been to Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall? Share your experiences!