“Best Weekend Ever!!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sebasco Estates
Manchester, New Hampshire, United States
“Best Weekend Ever!!”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Sebasco Harbor Resort was the perfect romantic getaway weekend I have ever had! Married 28 years ago this weekend, I was looking for a nice quiet place on the ocean to surprise my husband with. I search the web and came across this perfect spot. We stayed in the lighthouse, the rooms are a bit small but the view and the rest of the resort made up for it. The view were AMAZING, the staff and food was great. We even went down the the state park about 10 min away and walked the endless beach. Overall, it was one of the best weekends we have ever had as a couple. THANK YOU Sebasco resort for making this anniversary a memorable one.
Earl and Gail Cook Wilton NH

Room Tip: lighthouse was a great find. Right on the waters edge with a beautiful room at the top with 360 vie...
1 Thank Gail_Cook2013
puremaine, General Manager at Sebasco Harbor Resort, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear Mr. and Ms. Cook:

Thank you so much for the great comments and for sharing your anniversary with not only the Sebasco Family, but the readers of TripAdvisor as well! Sebasco is all about making memories and I am so glad that we were able provide you with a great experience.

Popham Beach State Park is certainly one of Maine’s hidden gems – the beauty, history and sand dollar collecting make the 5 mile trip worth it! Thank you also for mentioning the food and of course, our staff.

Congratulations and hope to see you on your 29th Anniversary!

Michael Lynch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Had a 2 night stay here whilst touring New England. Had already seen reviews and thought OK but was it going to be overun by kids. Far from it yes there was children all having a great time. We stayed in main lodge and bedroom really good. Food in restaurant top notch. One night was a buffet welcoming night, be prepared to wear bigger trousers food good and excessive amounts. This hotel and resort will please everyone and all ages. Take the harbour cruise very informative.

Room Tip: Main Logde was great
1 Thank michael e
Dear Reviewer:
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with TripAdvisor! As you mentioned, during the summer months we are certainly a Family Resort, but it mixes well with those that aren’t traveling with children. Thank you for mentioning the food – the ‘Sunday Suppah’ is a new theme dinner this year and has been very well received!

Have a great remainder of the summer and we hope to see you again in Maine!

Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Sebasco Harbor Resort has captured the best of old and new Maine. The grounds are quite nice, with water views in many areas. There are two restaurants, one casual with outdoor seating and one a bit more upscale (Pilot House) with a gorgeous water views...and very good food. There is an outdoor pool, golf course, tennis, kayaking and bikes on the grounds. They also offer boat trips. On Sunday night there is a family style Maine seafood dinner/pig roast which was quite good...and fun.

Carefully review the room types, as they are quite variable, ranging from traditional rooms in the older buildings, to cottages/homes of many sizes (some permitting dogs), to the beautiful new Fairwinds Spa suites which we selected. The Fairwinds and some other rooms and all of the cottages/homes have kitchenettes or kitchens. There are many families and lots of kids, but things are pretty spread out, so you never feel overwhelmed. Many of the cottages/houses and the Fairwind suites are at the edges of the property if you prefer more quiet,

If you plan on making your own meals, either bring food in a cooler...or stop in Bath at one of the markets, as we found very little selection anywhere closer. There is an eclectic farm store just up the road which has some ineresting foods and a small cafe, but not most of the staples you would want for meals.

Room Tip: If you want a really nice suite right at the water's edge with a small kitchenette (fridge, free...
Dear Reviewer:

Thank you very much for your wonderful comments – I am so glad you enjoyed your stay! Your review title, ‘interesting mix of old and new coastal Maine’ really sums up the Sebasco tradition.

Thank you also for mentioning the different styles of accommodations – we do have many different options available and our reservation specialists can assist in providing the lodging that best fits your needs and budget.

We hope to see you again – thank you for sharing!

Medford, New York
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We staryed for the 1st time 2 weeks back. We loved it my 5 and 10 year old had a blast and my husband and I enjoyed spending time as a family. We went on a kayak excursion and our guide Scott was amazing. The pirate cruise was a lot of fun and my son loved winning free ice cream for throwing that ring.

Another note the pub restaurant is reasonably priced and really good.

Room Tip: Main lodge was very nice. Just not the Family Suite has the extra beds but not the privacy.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
puremaine, General Manager at Sebasco Harbor Resort, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Dear Sebasco Guest:

Thank you very much for your comments and we are happy that your family had such a great time! Seaspray Kayaking does a great job on their many tours around the harbor. The pirate cruise is still our most popular charter trip on the Ruth – finding the buried treasure is a highlight for the kids! The ring toss is the original Sebasco game – eighty years old and you just can’t stop playing until you win.

Thank you also for mentioning the pub and the room tip for the Family Suites. Our Admiral Suites do offer a ‘two room’ option so that might work better on your next visit.

We appreciate you staying with us and hope to see you soon.

DC
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I have just returned home from a nostalgic stay at Sebasco Harbor (Estates) Resort. The Maine Coast in the summer, particularly this very hot summer, couldn’t have been more delightful.

Sebasco is what my husband would describe as “shabby chic”. Having grown up on the rugged coast of Maine, I am not surprised by the issues that some people have noted in their reviews, which for me just mean seasonal upkeep is due. I stayed in the Main Lodge, in a balcony room overlooking the ice pond. The room was perfectly fine. If you pay full rack rate (which I did), I can understand disillusionment in the “Maine Camp” feel of the Lodge vs. the luxury one might expect when reading the description on the website.

I found Sebasco and the “summer, Maine Camp” feel to be charming and there wasn’t one thing that I would have complained about.

My check-in was easy, with a grown-up front desk-clerk who had decided to move back to Maine, declaring that he would be back at Sebasco every season. I extended my stay by one night and unfortunately had to upgrade my room, in order to stay in one room the entire time – but other than that, simple, easy check-in, followed by courteous assistance via golf cart to our room.

My visit at Sebasco only got better.

I never ate breakfast at the resort, choosing instead to go to Percy’s and enjoy a long walk on Popham Beach, but I did eat numerous meals at the Ledges. Each meal, I had friends and family join me and each dining experience at the Ledges was a good one (I even ran into childhood friends who had moored their boat for the day at Sebasco!!). My restaurant tab was hefty and I chose to pay cash for each transaction, but I could have charged everything to my room. The restaurant general manager was on hand for two of the meals I had at the Ledges and he was working as hard as any other member of the wait staff to ensure that his customers’ needs were met.

The salt water pool was a fond memory from my childhood and I was happy to use it multiple times every day. The pool attendants were appropriately engaging and polite. Some of the pool furniture could use replacing and there were a number of times when quite large parties converged on the pool, but it was still very relaxing and enjoyable to be poolside.

The gift shop is well stocked with souvenirs made mostly by folks in Maine. I easily found almost $200 worth of trinkets to take home for friends (and I could have spent a lot more money had my luggage allowance allowed). The staff members at the gift shop were helpful, considerate and polite.

My kid ate ice cream at the Ice Cream stand – I think they served Gifford’s ice cream and there were no complaints.

Housekeeping was helpful, making sure to ask me if I needed anything, even if I opted out of having them service my room.

I live quite some distance from the Resort, so on the day that I checked out, I checked my bank account to make sure that I was only charged for what I thought I was going to be charged for and I called the Front Desk to confirm charges – as my debit card had three pending charges. When I called the Front Office, there wasn’t anyone at the desk who was able to answer my questions, so I told them I would discuss the charges when I physically checked out.

When I arrived at the Front Desk to check out, I found out that the three pending charges were general pre-authorizations and that I was going to be charged the total check-out fee as well. I had been pre-charged for my room before arrival and I mistakenly thought that when I checked in, I was charged for the additional night and fees. I should have asked better questions, Sebasco should have told me their policy.

I suggested that had I realized everything was going to be pre-authorized and then charged, I would have given Sebasco a credit card vs. a debit card, which would have protected me and not left hundreds of dollars in limbo as I was traveling.

The clerk at the front desk was agitated, a bit rude and dismissive – even as I asked her to listen to me, rather than talk over me. She later told me she hadn’t been having a good day. It wasn’t a terrific way to end my stay, which had been wonderful. An owner/partner spoke to me about it, I voiced my concerns and he listened and responded appropriately – even writing a follow up e-mail. My faith was restored in Sebasco as a future destination.

Fast forward to five business days later – and the pending charges are still on my account, including some charges that had cleared. I called Sebasco, from my home, on Skype to discuss the issues. I am 7 hours ahead on time (and 9000 miles away) and my family was sitting with me as I called (I was essentially on speaker phone). When I got through to Sebasco I was patched through to someone who could look at accounts. I read through the list of charges on my bank account and each charge that I spoke of, the clerk at Sebasco literally replied “NO” to me, as if I was reading my bank statement incorrectly.

Thank goodness that my internet connection is completely unreliable and my skype connection was dropped, because the attitude I was receiving would have only led to a disastrous outcome to that call. My husband, who had heard the story of my original check-out was ASTOUNDED as he listened to the skype call at how very rude the woman that I was speaking with was to a guest.

She did later write me an e-mail with an attachment that showed what was charged; however her document did not negate the facts that I have unresolved charges on my account. I have since asked my bank to look into the charges. The irony of the fact that I called the front desk before I checked out and then also attempted to follow through as I checked out to insure that this did not happen has not been lost on me.

I want to say that I will heartily recommend Sebasco and that these two experiences were perhaps with the same unhappy employee who works at the front desk, versus two separate non-customer-satisfaction motivated employees.

For a seasonal resort that wasn’t full in a tough economy, I would have predicted that the people who are the “face” of the resort, the front desk help, would have been better suited for their positions. I get that summer season in Maine can be hard work and that there are plenty of grumpy entitled people who triple the population of the lovely State in their quest for an idyllic summer. I worked in Freeport through college and I remember how tiresome some of the “summer” people could be – the difference regarding my situation is that I had been really, really happy to be at Sebasco.

Had my experience checking out been better and my follow up call been handled with respect, Sebasco would have received five stars.

Room Tip: Had I thought I of it, I would have booked my room through hotels.com or expedia.com rather than dir...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank tennismomma
puremaine, General Manager at Sebasco Harbor Resort, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear Reviewer-

Our appreciation for such a detailed review and thank you for spending personal time with me at the conclusion of your stay. Your return visit with your family means a great deal to Sebasco, multi-generational opportunities are what have kept the hospitality tradition going here for nearly 85 years. I only wish we had been able to perform to the five star level during your stay, and for that we certainly apologize.

Thank you also for mentioning Scott at check-in, David (Restaurant Manager), Gift Shop personnel and the crew at the pool – all great examples of the Sebasco Team. The Patio Café is certainly a popular place – Gifford’s Ice Cream has come out with many new flavors and it is hard to walk by without sampling!

As we have discussed in person and subsequent emails, our apologies for the issues at check-out. Our policy is to inform the guest that when using a debit card, there is a possibility that your bank will put a hold on additional funds which may make them unavailable for a few days past your stay. Each bank is different, but most put funds on reserve. Had you been informed of this initially, you would have made other arrangements (as we discussed) and the end of your stay would certainly have been memorable and in a more positive light. We are trained to listen to our guests and provide solutions/answers immediately – we failed in that regard. The check-out procedure should be a happy time – one where we listen to details about your stay - what was good – what we could have done better. I have discussed not only the original check-out but subsequent follow up internally and feel confident that this was an isolated incident and it will not be an issue in the future. Of course, I am sorry that it happened at all.

Please know that we very much appreciate you returning to Sebasco for your nostalgic trip and hope that we have an opportunity to get that fifth star! Again, apologies and appreciate our open and frank discussions following your departure and safe return to your home.

New London, New Hampshire
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Everyone who works there is extremely friendly and helpful. The food was great. The resort is beautiful. We are coming back. We like to stay in the newer rooms. The always have some sort of events going on. The pool is great but does need some work. The people at the spa are very nice. The spa it's self is very relaxing. We are coming back for our twenty fifth anniversary.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike Z
puremaine, General Manager at Sebasco Harbor Resort, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Dear Reviewer:

Thank you very much for your review and especially for mentioning our staff – we are always proud of our team and appreciate you taking the time to share that with others. I am glad you enjoyed the spa and were able to relax – even with all the events going on!

Although we spend thousands each spring to repair Maine’s largest and oldest saltwater pool, it does show its age at times. It does sound as though you were able to enjoy it nonetheless.

We look forward to hosting you on your 25th Anniversary!

Bedford, NH
Reviewed 23 July 2013

This was my second trip to Sebasco and I thoroughly enjoyed it! We started our weekend with massages upon arrival and found the staff in the spa to be extremely courteous and knowledgeable. Dinner in Ledges Pub was great. Saturday morning we did the SUP clinic and had a blast. There is something to do for all ages every minute of the day if desired. Loved the privacy and views from Captain's Cottage. Would definitely visit again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Reviewer:

Thank you very much for your review and your return visit – it's always the best compliment when a guest returns to our property! Thank you also for mentioning the staff in the Fairwinds Spa – they are a fun team and know hospitality.

I am glad you had the opportunity to do the Paddle Board excursion – that has become very popular the past couple of years and the trip around Harbor Island is perfect for the novice or expert. Captain’s Cottage is one of our more popular cottages for those two reasons – privacy and views!

Thanks again,
The Westin Portland Harborview
Beach Cove Waterfront Inn
Beach Cove Waterfront Inn
#4 of 13 in Boothbay Harbor

Been to Sebasco Harbor Resort? Share your experiences!