“Nice location, but a few problems.”

Sebasco Harbor Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sebasco Estates
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I found a deal for this resort and went with my wife for our anniversary trip.

The resort has a lot of interesting history - http://www.sebasco.com/about/history.htm While that lent to the charm of the property, unfortunately there were a few points that could stand to be updated. The room we stayed in (Main Lodge - Room #32) was clean, but there were a few things that bothered me.

1. The window and sliding door in the room were very old and didn't work that great any more. The window would drop a couple inches after you opened it. The sliding door was very loud when you opened it and the sliding screen was worse. Both screens had either small holes or had been patched.

2. The ceiling fan worked fine on low, but when you tried to turn it up it got very loud. We didn't keep it turned up at all, afraid that if there were people above us they also would get to experience it.

3. The paint around the room was very rough, the trim and vanity cabinet in the bathroom especially.

4. I don't know if this was because it was during their "off season" or not, but there was no air conditioner in the room. Neither of the nights we were where were horrible hot, but given that we had an ocean inlet right outside our room, the wildlife (bullfrogs especially) got VERY loud at night and we had to close the door and window to be able to sleep. If it had been any hotter it could have been unbearable.

5. There are a couple charming gathering rooms throughout the main lodge, great if you have family staying together and you want to play a game or just visit. Unfortunately some of the windows didn't have screens in them, so coming back from dinner there were a ton of bugs flying around the halls, including a couple june bugs, which I was very thankful my wife didn't see. She's not a fan of them at ALL. :)

6. The water in the showers had the classic conundrum of changing temps when you flushed the toilet. I noticed they were using some solar hot water panels on top of the main lodge. I'm not sure if this played a part in it, but either way, watch out if someone is in the shower and you use the toilet.

I really hate to leave negative reviews, especially when a resort has great potential. I wouldn't rate it lower than average, the issues are fixable and if they do, the Sebasco Harbor Resort definitely has the potential of being a 5 star resort.

I'll close my review with the positives.

1. The location is FABULOUS! Right out on the ocean. If we had more time we were going to rent a double kayak and go out and explore the coastline. It's located close to Popham beach which is amazing as well.

2. The bed was very comfortable. One of the better ones I've slept on at a hotel.

3. The bedding and room decor seems to have been recently updated, which was nice.

4. The staff was very nice. We had a girl that was very new (still training) but she wasn't afraid to jump right up and help us, even though the manager who was training her was busy assisting someone else.

5. They do offer a wide array of activities right on site, which we weren't able to take advantage of, but the variety was great.

Over all, I probably would go again, if they are able to address the issues we had. I love the history and the charm of the resort. I hope they can do well!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jason N
puremaine, Manager at Sebasco Harbor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear ‘Jason N’:

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property and for spending your anniversary with us. I am glad you had the opportunity to take advantage of an early season discount package – also, we appreciate your reading (and sharing) the history of our property – which is celebrating its 85th birthday this season! As always, when a guest mentions they would indeed return – it is the highest compliment we can receive.

We are always so thankful that our guests appreciate the Sebasco Team members – they certainly enjoy hosting you. We love our location too and the proximity to Popham Beach is a plus for those guests that also want an authentic Maine beach spot – best of both worlds five miles apart! We do have many activities throughout our season – with an expanded list during the summer season and thank you for noting the variety.

In regard to the Main Lodge, it is the oldest building on the property and although it has gone through many renovations, it still is an authentic Maine inn. As you stated, we do not have air-conditioning in Lodge rooms, but do in the Harbor Village and Spa Suites, where you may have preferred staying – I’m sorry that we didn’t explain the difference during your reservation experience. Our team should have noted the maintenance issues prior to your arrival – they have since been rectified.

Thank you for noting the bed – we did a major mattress overhaul this past season in the Main Lodge and has made a nice impact on the guest experience. You were also in one of the newly renovated rooms and bathroom as well. Apologies for the water temperature – we do heat our domestic hot water for that building and laundry facility with the solar panels, however, that wouldn’t had an impact on the inconsistent temperature.

Again, thank you for your thoughtful review and we certainly do hope you stay with us again.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Recently stayed here with my wife. We stayed in the main lodge to discover no air conditioning and a very old room with thin carpets that smelled and crackled below your feet. Left the room to get dinner and left the screened window open to air out the room only to discover many flying bugs flying around the ceiling fan and an earwig in our bedroom upon our return.. It just didn't live up to my expectations of a hotel with the words "resort" and "spa" in the title. Boat ride was beautiful and the food was excellent!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
puremaine, General Manager at Sebasco Harbor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear ‘The Ricksterr’:

Thank you very much for staying with us and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with TripAdvisor. My apologies that the Main Lodge didn’t meet your expectations – the Lodge is our oldest accommodation on property however we have renovated nearly all the rooms and bathrooms in this building over the past few years. I am also sorry that you were not informed that the Lodge doesn’t have air conditioning units in the room, but each room does have an overhead fan, as well as box fans if needed. We do have other accommodations that may have been a better fit for you then the Classic New England Inn style and I certainly wish we could have shown those to you while you were here.

I appreciate the kind words about the boat tour and the food preparations for you and your wife. Should your travels bring you back to Midcoast Maine, we would hope you consider staying with us again. Please contact me directly with any questions, comments or concerns.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We had a great time, the staff excellent my facial so nice and the girls I. The spar so helpful , the dining room staff excellent,our room so nice thank you Jane Gagne she was so helpful such a peach keep her!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Donna R

Dear ‘Donna R’:
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your visit – it is much appreciated. Thank you also for your positive comments regarding your spa treatment, the staff and your room. Jane is a great asset and I will be sure to share your comments with her – she will be honored!

Looking forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 21 November 2013

Had a wonderful time Sebasco Harbor Resort during the early fall. The people were great,
the food was very good both at the main dining area aswell as the pub. The boat tour of the
harbor was excellent led by a very knowlegable guide. I am sure that we will return again
ion the near future

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank rotom228
puremaine, General Manager at Sebasco Harbor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Dear Reviewer-

Thank you very much for visiting us during our fall season and we appreciate you taking the time to share your visit!

We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 9 November 2013

Looking for a quiet escape, we booked the Captain's Cottage for 5 nights in mid September. The cabin is removed from the main resort buildings but just a few minutes walk - it's spacious and clean and I loved starting every day sitting on the porch enjoying the bay scenery with a cup of fresh brewed coffee. The kitchen is well appointed with microwave, stove, fridge and enough pots to make a full dinner if so inclined!
I had an allergic reaction to a bug bite the first night and got nervous about the bedding so the housekeeping team replaced everything with lightening speed the following morning - they were wonderful for the entire visit - responsive, thorough and great customer service. Actually everyone we encountered on property provided great customer service - we had amazingly relaxing massages at the spa with Denise and a wonderful boat trip around the harbor that was so much fun with the very entertaining captain, The grounds were so beautiful and well kept - this was a perfect spot for an escape. Other reviewers noted that "civilization" is about a 20 minute drive - that is pretty accurate, but we wanted the privacy and quiet to decompress so that wasn't a downside. We did explore a bit and found a few places in Bath to enjoy, but Captain's Cottage was perfect for the quiet we wanted - the only thing I would note is that there are some steep stairs that lead to the cottage - we traveled with an older dog who had some trouble so we just bypassed the stairs by walking down the hillside. It was so completely worth it because I think she had the best time of all watching the tide come in and out, the lobster fisherman coming in from the day and the occasional sea gull coming in for a visit! This is a lovely, quaint, clean resort and I would highly recommend a visit!

Room Tip: Can only talk about Captains - 2 bedrooms, kitchen area, large living room and huge bathroom. Very q...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CEG310

Dear Reviewer-

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your visit with TripAdvisor readers – it is much appreciated.

Thank you also for the nice comments about our housekeeping staff as well as our other team members. Captain’s Cottage is certainly a great spot – Round Cove is one of my favorite spots on the property. It is a great cottage for those that want to be just outside the resort core and have a bit more privacy.

We hope to see you again, and thank you very much for staying with us!

Reviewed 1 November 2013

We stayed here for one night on a trip around New England, and it did not disappoint, it was a lovely resort, with very friendly staff, the rooms was faultless and would highly recommend this resort. The Breakfast was amazing and such a beautiful view to have whilst enjoying breakfast. Really could not fault anything.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ash1-10
puremaine, General Manager at Sebasco Harbor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

Dear Reviewer:

We appreciate you staying with us on your New England vacation – and thank you very much for the recommendation to others!

Breakfast in the Pilot House overlooking Casco Bay is certainly a highlight for many – I am glad to hear you enjoyed the cuisine and service from our hospitality team.
We hope to see you again should you return to Maine on another holiday!

Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed two nights here towards the end of the season and found it to be a charming and restful place. We stayed on the third floor of the lighthouse which had spectacular views and we ate in the Pilot House where the food was very good as well as the service. We visited nearby Popham Beach where we had a long walk before heading to Spinney's for a seafood lunch which was also very enjoyable. We then took a further walk to view the ruins of Fort Popham named after the leader of the short-lived Popham Colony before heading back to the resort. The gift shop at the resort was great especially with all the end of season bargains and Ann the shop assistant was especially helpful. I certainly would like to return here.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Elizabeth C
puremaine, General Manager at Sebasco Harbor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Dear Elizabeth C:

Thank you for sharing your trip details with TripAdvisor – we appreciate you taking the time to write. The third-floor of the Lighthouse does have the most spectacular views on the property and I am glad you enjoyed that and your meals.

The Popham Peninsula is very rich with history (over 400 years) and it is a ‘must see’ for all of our guests. We look forward to your return!

Regards,

13 mi away
Fisherman's Wharf Inn
Fisherman's Wharf Inn
#7 of 12 in Boothbay Harbor

Been to Sebasco Harbor Resort? Share your experiences!