I found a deal for this resort and went with my wife for our anniversary trip.
The resort has a lot of interesting history - http://www.sebasco.com/about/history.htm While that lent to the charm of the property, unfortunately there were a few points that could stand to be updated. The room we stayed in (Main Lodge - Room #32) was clean, but there were a few things that bothered me.
1. The window and sliding door in the room were very old and didn't work that great any more. The window would drop a couple inches after you opened it. The sliding door was very loud when you opened it and the sliding screen was worse. Both screens had either small holes or had been patched.
2. The ceiling fan worked fine on low, but when you tried to turn it up it got very loud. We didn't keep it turned up at all, afraid that if there were people above us they also would get to experience it.
3. The paint around the room was very rough, the trim and vanity cabinet in the bathroom especially.
4. I don't know if this was because it was during their "off season" or not, but there was no air conditioner in the room. Neither of the nights we were where were horrible hot, but given that we had an ocean inlet right outside our room, the wildlife (bullfrogs especially) got VERY loud at night and we had to close the door and window to be able to sleep. If it had been any hotter it could have been unbearable.
5. There are a couple charming gathering rooms throughout the main lodge, great if you have family staying together and you want to play a game or just visit. Unfortunately some of the windows didn't have screens in them, so coming back from dinner there were a ton of bugs flying around the halls, including a couple june bugs, which I was very thankful my wife didn't see. She's not a fan of them at ALL. :)
6. The water in the showers had the classic conundrum of changing temps when you flushed the toilet. I noticed they were using some solar hot water panels on top of the main lodge. I'm not sure if this played a part in it, but either way, watch out if someone is in the shower and you use the toilet.
I really hate to leave negative reviews, especially when a resort has great potential. I wouldn't rate it lower than average, the issues are fixable and if they do, the Sebasco Harbor Resort definitely has the potential of being a 5 star resort.
I'll close my review with the positives.
1. The location is FABULOUS! Right out on the ocean. If we had more time we were going to rent a double kayak and go out and explore the coastline. It's located close to Popham beach which is amazing as well.
2. The bed was very comfortable. One of the better ones I've slept on at a hotel.
3. The bedding and room decor seems to have been recently updated, which was nice.
4. The staff was very nice. We had a girl that was very new (still training) but she wasn't afraid to jump right up and help us, even though the manager who was training her was busy assisting someone else.
5. They do offer a wide array of activities right on site, which we weren't able to take advantage of, but the variety was great.
Over all, I probably would go again, if they are able to address the issues we had. I love the history and the charm of the resort. I hope they can do well!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled among whispering pines on the rugged coast lies a retreat of quiet comfort and rejuvenation, where beauty and tradition abound. Tucked away on 450 acres on Maine's Midcoast, Sebasco Harbor Resort is an authentic Maine destination resort with breathtaking views and a wealth of activities the entire family can enjoy including golf, fishing, boating, swimming, hiking, scavenger hunts, pirate cruises, tennis, spa services and more. Experience Pure Maine, where memories last a lifetime. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Sebasco Harbor Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sebasco Harbor Hotel Sebasco Estates
- Sebasco Harbor Estates
- Sebasco Harbor Resort Sebasco Estates, Maine