“Wonderful Resort With Wonderful Views”

Sebasco Harbor Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sebasco Estates
Reading, Massachusetts
“Wonderful Resort With Wonderful Views”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My wife and I stayed two nights midweek in the Harbor Village accommodations. (This resort has a wide variety of cottages and hotel rooms ( all are not air conditioned so check before you commit.) We had a fabulous room. The king size bed was very comfortable. The room had a large balcony with a wonderful view of the bay which we took full advantage of. The room was well appointed with a bar area and refrigerator. The resort has free Wifi throughout. The staff could not have been nicer or more accommodating. Everyone was extremely pleasant and helpful. We had breakfast both mornings at the Pilot House restaurant which is on property. The food rivaled the outstanding view. One morning my wife had the lobster omlette and raved about it (full of chunks of lobster). From the resort it is about a 45 minute drive to Boothbay. Our stay was just before school let out for the summer so it was not overly busy. It appeared to be a very family friendly place with many activities for the children. There is an olympic size pool.

2 Thank JEM02882
puremaine, General Manager at Sebasco Harbor Resort, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear 'JEM02882':

Thank you very much for your review of our property- your thoughts are much appreciated. I am glad you enjoyed your room in the Harbor Village Suites and they do have great views of the water! We are very proud of our team members – thank you for the mention – they love to accommodate!

We made a significant investment in our wireless offering with a completely new system and our guests this season have all noticed the increased availability of service. Our food and beverage team will love to hear your comments about the food – the lobster omelet is always a winner!

We hope to see you back soon – best regards,
Managing Partner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We were pleasantly surprised by certain aspects of this resort. The game room was great fun for the kids. I wish it opened a little earlier since our kids were small (hours 7:30-9:30pm), but we enjoyed it. We enjoyed a boat ride. This is a great place for FAMILIES. I would have been miserable had I gone there as a couple. We played tennis, we went to the forts off site, we enjoyed lunch in Bath. We stayed in the most modern accommodations, which were fine. Nothing luxurious. There were NO towel hooks, which was very frustrating. Who wants to hang a towel to dry on a bar over the toilet? Gross. There were holes from hooks on the back of the bathroom doors. We stayed in a one bedroom suite which had two bathrooms. The jacuzzi tub was one of those small ones, barely for one adult. The gas fireplace might be fine for winter, but wasn't needed in summer. The kitchenette was helpful to have and came with a few dishes, which was nice. I was able to feed the kids breakfast using the toaster and microwave. The pull out couch is slightly wider than a twin - NOT full size. No way could two kids sleep there, so we had to add a cot, which really filled up the room. More positive points about the grounds - there was kid-friendly golf - a three hole course. Very cheap to rent clubs and the fella at the pro shop was mellow and friendly. My daughter and I had pedicures at the spa - those ladies were very friendly. Fun little shop on site, which was helpful for a few toys and bug spray. Also got some visors as we had forgotten hats. There was croquet, volleyball, and canoes/paddleboats to use. It had poured on Thursday, and when we went to the dock at 4pm on Friday nobody had bailed out the canoes or paddleboats, so even though my husband was strong enough to dump them out, they were very wet and dirty. The pool is not well maintained and freezing - just filled with unheated ocean water. We didn't go in. My daughter tried, but it was way too cold. Lots of mosquitoes. All in all we had a good time - the game room and kids' golf being the highlights for the kids. Also our key card to the room kept inactivating, but someone would come with new ones when we called from our cell phones. Took about 10 minutes each time. Sigh. We paid $355 a night including taxes, which felt way too high for the room itself. When you consider the activities offered, I would say it's probably only moderately overpriced.

Room Tip: I preferred the more modern admiral suites. Apparently the other buildings do not have AC. There w...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear 'Wendy S':

Thank you for taking the time to detail your stay – we appreciate you visiting Sebasco and sharing your comments – both the positive and where we came up short. It is with this feedback that we can improve!

I am glad that you were surprised about our resort - we are celebrating our 85th birthday this year and have always remained a family owned and operated resort for all of those years – certainly unique in today’s hospitality world. The Quarterdeck is one of our most popular venues as it brings a bit of nostalgia to your stay with the candlepin bowling and other games that the kids (big and little) love. It also sounds like you took full advantage of many of our activities that we offer this time of year – sincere apologies for the water in the canoes, those should have been emptied and cleaned after the rain storm.

The Admiral Suite is a two room suite with a twin-size pullout, I am sorry it couldn’t accommodate both kids but it sounds as though the cot worked out (which many families choose). There should be hooks on the back of the door – apologies. The towel rack over the toilet is heated – this is for both the comfort of a warm towel after you shower, as well for those that re-use their towels as part of our ‘green’ program.

Our three-hole course is great for families as you mentioned and the Fairwinds Spa does a great job with all their services. Thank you for mentioning those team members!

Apologies that your key card didn’t stay activated – we should have responded in a more timely fashion when those don’t work. The pool is not heated and in the spring, depending on the weather, it does stay cooler. It does get maintained daily with the appropriate chemicals and vacuuming – apologies that it didn’t give you that impression.

I hope that if your travels take you to Maine again, you will consider us for your family. Thank you for staying with us and have a great summer!

Fort Myers Beach, Florida
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We had a discount package through Travel Zoo and we scored a beautiful room with a king room in the main lodge, the food was great and the boat ride on the Ruth was awesome. The beach about 2 miles away was great and the 2 forts were worth the visit. Thank you . It was great!!

2 Thank Cynthia W
puremaine, General Manager at Sebasco Harbor Resort, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear 'Cynthia W'-

We appreciate you sharing your positive comments about your stay - I am glad that you had the opportunity to enjoy one of our early season specials. Thank you also for commenting on the food and the boat tour - I will be sure to pass on your comments to the team!

We look forward to your next visit,
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I found a deal for this resort and went with my wife for our anniversary trip.

The resort has a lot of interesting history - http://www.sebasco.com/about/history.htm While that lent to the charm of the property, unfortunately there were a few points that could stand to be updated. The room we stayed in (Main Lodge - Room #32) was clean, but there were a few things that bothered me.

1. The window and sliding door in the room were very old and didn't work that great any more. The window would drop a couple inches after you opened it. The sliding door was very loud when you opened it and the sliding screen was worse. Both screens had either small holes or had been patched.

2. The ceiling fan worked fine on low, but when you tried to turn it up it got very loud. We didn't keep it turned up at all, afraid that if there were people above us they also would get to experience it.

3. The paint around the room was very rough, the trim and vanity cabinet in the bathroom especially.

4. I don't know if this was because it was during their "off season" or not, but there was no air conditioner in the room. Neither of the nights we were where were horrible hot, but given that we had an ocean inlet right outside our room, the wildlife (bullfrogs especially) got VERY loud at night and we had to close the door and window to be able to sleep. If it had been any hotter it could have been unbearable.

5. There are a couple charming gathering rooms throughout the main lodge, great if you have family staying together and you want to play a game or just visit. Unfortunately some of the windows didn't have screens in them, so coming back from dinner there were a ton of bugs flying around the halls, including a couple june bugs, which I was very thankful my wife didn't see. She's not a fan of them at ALL. :)

6. The water in the showers had the classic conundrum of changing temps when you flushed the toilet. I noticed they were using some solar hot water panels on top of the main lodge. I'm not sure if this played a part in it, but either way, watch out if someone is in the shower and you use the toilet.

I really hate to leave negative reviews, especially when a resort has great potential. I wouldn't rate it lower than average, the issues are fixable and if they do, the Sebasco Harbor Resort definitely has the potential of being a 5 star resort.

I'll close my review with the positives.

1. The location is FABULOUS! Right out on the ocean. If we had more time we were going to rent a double kayak and go out and explore the coastline. It's located close to Popham beach which is amazing as well.

2. The bed was very comfortable. One of the better ones I've slept on at a hotel.

3. The bedding and room decor seems to have been recently updated, which was nice.

4. The staff was very nice. We had a girl that was very new (still training) but she wasn't afraid to jump right up and help us, even though the manager who was training her was busy assisting someone else.

5. They do offer a wide array of activities right on site, which we weren't able to take advantage of, but the variety was great.

Over all, I probably would go again, if they are able to address the issues we had. I love the history and the charm of the resort. I hope they can do well!

1 Thank Jason N
puremaine, Manager at Sebasco Harbor Resort, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear ‘Jason N’:

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property and for spending your anniversary with us. I am glad you had the opportunity to take advantage of an early season discount package – also, we appreciate your reading (and sharing) the history of our property – which is celebrating its 85th birthday this season! As always, when a guest mentions they would indeed return – it is the highest compliment we can receive.

We are always so thankful that our guests appreciate the Sebasco Team members – they certainly enjoy hosting you. We love our location too and the proximity to Popham Beach is a plus for those guests that also want an authentic Maine beach spot – best of both worlds five miles apart! We do have many activities throughout our season – with an expanded list during the summer season and thank you for noting the variety.

In regard to the Main Lodge, it is the oldest building on the property and although it has gone through many renovations, it still is an authentic Maine inn. As you stated, we do not have air-conditioning in Lodge rooms, but do in the Harbor Village and Spa Suites, where you may have preferred staying – I’m sorry that we didn’t explain the difference during your reservation experience. Our team should have noted the maintenance issues prior to your arrival – they have since been rectified.

Thank you for noting the bed – we did a major mattress overhaul this past season in the Main Lodge and has made a nice impact on the guest experience. You were also in one of the newly renovated rooms and bathroom as well. Apologies for the water temperature – we do heat our domestic hot water for that building and laundry facility with the solar panels, however, that wouldn’t had an impact on the inconsistent temperature.

Again, thank you for your thoughtful review and we certainly do hope you stay with us again.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Recently stayed here with my wife. We stayed in the main lodge to discover no air conditioning and a very old room with thin carpets that smelled and crackled below your feet. Left the room to get dinner and left the screened window open to air out the room only to discover many flying bugs flying around the ceiling fan and an earwig in our bedroom upon our return.. It just didn't live up to my expectations of a hotel with the words "resort" and "spa" in the title. Boat ride was beautiful and the food was excellent!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
puremaine, General Manager at Sebasco Harbor Resort, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear ‘The Ricksterr’:

Thank you very much for staying with us and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with TripAdvisor. My apologies that the Main Lodge didn’t meet your expectations – the Lodge is our oldest accommodation on property however we have renovated nearly all the rooms and bathrooms in this building over the past few years. I am also sorry that you were not informed that the Lodge doesn’t have air conditioning units in the room, but each room does have an overhead fan, as well as box fans if needed. We do have other accommodations that may have been a better fit for you then the Classic New England Inn style and I certainly wish we could have shown those to you while you were here.

I appreciate the kind words about the boat tour and the food preparations for you and your wife. Should your travels bring you back to Midcoast Maine, we would hope you consider staying with us again. Please contact me directly with any questions, comments or concerns.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We had a great time, the staff excellent my facial so nice and the girls I. The spar so helpful , the dining room staff excellent,our room so nice thank you Jane Gagne she was so helpful such a peach keep her!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Donna R
Dear ‘Donna R’:
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your visit – it is much appreciated. Thank you also for your positive comments regarding your spa treatment, the staff and your room. Jane is a great asset and I will be sure to share your comments with her – she will be honored!

Looking forward to your next visit!

capecod
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Had a wonderful time Sebasco Harbor Resort during the early fall. The people were great,
the food was very good both at the main dining area aswell as the pub. The boat tour of the
harbor was excellent led by a very knowlegable guide. I am sure that we will return again
ion the near future

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank rotom228
puremaine, General Manager at Sebasco Harbor Resort, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear Reviewer-

Thank you very much for visiting us during our fall season and we appreciate you taking the time to share your visit!

We look forward to your next visit!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sebasco Estates
Newagen Seaside Inn
Newagen Seaside Inn
#1 of 1 in Newagen
The Westin Portland Harborview

Been to Sebasco Harbor Resort? Share your experiences!