“Excellent except....”
Review of Academy Street Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Berwick
Academy Street Inn
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The breakfast is much too sugary. We appreciated the home cooking, but feel that if the hosts asked guests the night before about dietary restrictions and preferences, breakfast would be better. Using real, whole grain bread and offering options would enhance the experience. The House itself and the hosts are lovely.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Academy Street Inn

Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Stay here! What a great experience that left us wishing to remain longer. We stayed 2 nights for a wedding. We had a smaller room with a small bath but it was cozy and beyond comfortable. The Inn is in a perfect location for a walk to a handful of restaurants...or to scenic fields and rivers if desired. Breakfast was delicious both days! Lee and Paul were truly wonderful and great proprietors of a B&B that meets every expectation!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My husband and I just got back from spending our 10 year anniversary at this charming B&B and we were very pleased. It was just what I was searching for. Far enough away from the busy touristy areas, but close enough so you could make a short drive to whatever you want to see in Maine. Paul and Lee made our stay quite nice. Very gracious hosts that were helpful and not ever intrusive. We felt like we had the perfect blend of privacy and helpfulness that we were hoping for. They helped guide us to the sights and provided maps, directions and helpful tips on what to see and the best places to eat. Breakfast was wonderful as other reviewers have mentioned. More than you expect at at a typical bed and breakfast. All of the rooms are equally nice, (I got to peek in them all...we were the only ones there on our arrival day) so don't stress about the possibility of getting a bad room, because there are none! There was no hair dryer in our room, so plan for that, other than that we had everything we needed. Coffee/tea will be just outside your bedroom door early in the morning, which I really appreciated, so I could sip my tea while I got ready before heading down to breakfast. I was very happy with our choice, and I tend to be very selective when I travel and feel like I have to review every Inn before I decide on the perfect place. I could have saved myself the stress, this one was great! There are a few shops and small places to eat within walking distance, but you will really need to drive out of town to really have a better selection. Not a problem for us because we were expecting that. My husband and I have never been to this part of the country before and it was beautiful.

Room Tip: All the rooms are upstairs, and not a bad room in the bunch, so just pick any one and you won't...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2013

YOU!! ... if you decide to stay at this charming Bed and Breakfast and enjoy the warm hospitality of the innkeepers Paul, Lee and especially Phoebe. It is a spacious , tastefully furnished , very clean home that reflects the personality of Paul, Lee and Phoebe. It is a quiet location, seemingly close to everything, yet very relaxing. There was a fire blazing in the sitting room fireplace, where one could enjoy a glass of wine if desired. Every morning there was hot coffee just outside our bedroom door, and we enjoyed a delicious breakfast by a warm fire in dining room fireplace every morning. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this Academy('award winning') Street Inn and our conversations with Paul and Lee, as well as the other guests we met at the breakfast table. We are looking forward to another stay, in warmer weather, so we could enjoy a glass of wine on the grand porch that wraps around the front and side of the Inn.

Room Tip: the innkeepers will provide the info you need to pick the best room for your stay
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Academy Street Inn offers the best of what a B&B should be-a quiet location removed from but close to major southern Maine attractions, a spotless and lovingly maintained historic home with first class modern amenities and most important, innkeepers. ( husband and wife Lee and Paul) who are caring, helpful and as personable as can be. The Inn is located in the town of South Berwick which is small but features some interesting dining, recreational and shopping opportunities. Yet, you are within a half hour or so of York area attractions, beaches, lobster pounds,the Stonewall Kitchen store and cooking classes and even some pick your own blueberry farms. Rates are most reasonable for this really cozy B&B including a goumet breakfast run by true professionals who are genuinely down to earth people. Highly recommended as a place to join with the throngs of summer tourists but be able to escape at the end of the day to a place of serenity, beauty and peace.

Room Tip: Every room has a character of its own with the same basic amenities............can't go wrong ch...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2013

My wife and I came up to South Berwick Maine to do some research on one of their slightly famous citizens and originally we were suppose to stay with the family. Unforeseen circumstances happened and the family booked us a room at the Academy Street Inn B&B. What a blessing this turned out to be.
What a joy Paul and Lee were to be around. They made us feel just like we were part of their family and gave us such helpful information about the area.
You are greeted by the gorgeous front porch and then enter into the large front entry way. The bedrooms are extremely well decorated and are very comfortable to sleep in.
The breakfasts that were served were delicious and outstanding. I am a very early riser and enjoyed that Paul had the coffee ready around 6 am where I would pour myself a cup great coffee and enjoy it on the front porch soaking up the peace and quiet of the area.
I highly recommend that if you are looking for a B&B in the southern tip of Maine that you choose this one. My wife and I just got back and are trying to figure out when we could make it back up there.
Lee and Paul thank you for the wonderful time.
Dan & Laura

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Upon arriving at this B&B the profound effect that it produces is an immediate calm esp. after storming up interstate 95.Arriving by Rt.4 is best. {more scenic and no waiting at the tolls}.This Victorian two story provides clean and spacious rooms.The breakfast is hearty and made fresh.The innkeepers make everyone feel welcome.They too are wonderful people.If you are planning to be in the area for any reason make sure you consider The academy St Inn as your first and only choice.James M.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Hampton Inn Dover
Hampton Inn Dover
#1 of 6 in Dover
Comfort Inn & Suites Dover

Been to Academy Street Inn? Share your experiences!