“Outstanding family vacation”
Review of Migis Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in South Casco
Migis Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in South Casco
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Our family has been going to Migis for most of the past 35 years. It is a great, safe, family get away. The kids can go do their own thing with kids camp or skiing or swimming, etc, and the adults can relax on their porches overlooking Sebago Lake. The staff is all very friendly and we have developed friendships with others that go.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 29 July 2011

Some hotels are luxurious with marble and brass and staff dressed to the hilt. Migis is the exact opposite kind of luxury, a place that is so low-keyed, so seemingly effortless, and generally so well-run, that it is completely relaxing. The friendly staff is busy throughout the day making the place feel as if it runs itself (which of course it doesn't!); the result is that you never feel stressed or fussed over. You can be as active or as lazy as you want, and everything is rustic, yet works. The kids love the boating and swimming and fishing and camp; the adults love the boating and swimming and tennis and feeling that they are in camp.

The food is delicious - everyone's favorite is the cookout lunch, which is basically the cookout you wish you could have at home - hamburgers, lobster, seafood stew, and vegetarian options. The staff is wonderfully accommodating to people's food requests, and goes out of their way to make sure that the menu meets your needs.

In fact, the only issue we had on a recent family visit was the service in the main dining room. For reasons we could not figure out, the food sometimes took a long time to arrive, and while we were a large group, could be a little disorganized. For example, if somebody wanted a salad as their dinner entree, it had to be served with the salad course, rather than held until the main courses came. And if someone was hungry and wanted their entree earlier (skipping the appetizer), they had to wait until the entrees were served. The food was fine, and kitchen successfully managed everyone's dietary requirements, but the room seemed disorganized. Maybe it was just an off couple of days.

Otherwise, it was a delightful stay -- we would definitely stay there again. It is priced at the deluxe end of the spectrum, but if simple luxury is what you are looking for, Migis is one of the best options out there.

Reviewed 28 July 2011

Going to Migis is like going to camp for your family -- only the food is like an excellent restaurant and the service like a 5 star hotel. The price is very high and the accomodations are not luxury, but it is an experience like no other. Our family enjoyed our cabin -- as I said, not luxury, but super clean, nice furniture, a fireplace, wonderful porch. The thing that made Migis special was the service. We went to water ski/wake board and our kids basically got private lessons (no charge). They took out sunfish sailboats on their own (again included). When we had to leave before lunch, the desk clerk quickly ordered box lunches to go. The lake is just gorgeous and the grounds around it beautifully kept. A vacation at Migis can be as active or relaxing as you choose. It is pricey, but I would highly recommend for a splurge!

1  Thank VirginiaJkl
Reviewed 17 July 2011

I just returned from spending a week at Migis lodge with 50 members of my family. Everyone raved about Migis and how much fun they had. Tim, the owner, made certain we enjoyed ourselves and made numerous special arrangements for our large group. The food was great, the cabins were terrific, and the numerous activities kept everyone (ages 1 to 90) occupied. We will definitely be returning to Migis for another family reunion.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Steve9731
Reviewed 16 July 2011

We have just returned from a week's vacation at Migis Lodge, South Casco, ME, with our son, daughter-in-law and three grandchildren, ages 14, 12, and 10. We are senior citizens and have visited Migis on our own for many years, at least eight times at last count. This was an ideal spot for a family vacation...most of all, because of the gracious and accommodating staff, headed by Tim, Joan and Jed Porta, the owners of Migis. Everyone was wonderful to us and our family...from the wait staff in the kitchen, which served meals in such a pleasant style, to the waterfront folks, who gave the kids endless rides so they could waterski, and to the talented counselors who staffed the daily afternoon camp program for children up to age 12.

The best thing about Migis, though, is the gorgeous spot, nestled on glorious Sebago Lake, amidst beautiful, fragrant tall Northern Pines. One of our party has a gluten problem and the kitchen people could not be more accommodating to that need...getting special flour so he could eat pancakes, muffins, breads, etc.

Room Tip: As mentioned, we are seniors, so we wanted something quiet. Cobblestone nestled in the woods, not f...
5  Thank Anne P
TimPortaOwner, archivist at Migis Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2011

Thank you so much for your thoughtful comments. We love to see families with three or even more generations enjoying themselves together!

Reviewed 10 July 2011

My wife and I and our daughter 24, and son 21 just experienced most remarkable family vacation at the Migis Lodge. This place is a throw-back to a simpler time where true happiness was obtained through the enjoyment of the beautiful outdoors, and the trust and friendship of others. This is what makes Migis so special.
We discovered Migis by way of recommendation from a director of an overnight summer camp located in the area. My wife is a marketing consultant to the overnight camping industry, and as such, we have visited Maine for both pleasure and business for the past 20 years. We have stayed at a number of beautiful resorts, hotels, motels and B&B’s in Maine such as the Samoset Resort in Rockport, Harraseeket Inn in Freeport, the Meadowmere Resort in Ogunquit and the Portland Regency in Portland. However, no place epitomizes the essences of Maine as does the Migis Lodge. If you are seeking the lakes, the forests, the great seafood, the crisp fresh air with the sweet smell of pine both indoors and outdoors, the quiet serenity, then this place is for you. If you are seeking five-star accommodations with marble bathrooms and luxurious appointed rooms, I suggest you look elsewhere. In fact, the only luxury rustic resort I can recall is the Whiteface Lodge in Lake Placid, which by the way, is substantially more expensive than the Migis Lodge once you account for all of the meals and “freebies” provide by Migis.
Migis Lodge is a 90+ year old resort which tries to maintain many of its traditions which is not easy to do in our fast paced society. As my daughter would say, Migis is an analog place in a digital word. In that regard, Migis does not accept credit cards, does not have A/C in the rooms (except for the 6 rooms in the Lodge), requires men to wear jackets during indoor dining (which had A/C), and does not have outside locks on the doors to the rooms (this true for our room at the Lodge and I imagine the same for the standalone homes). While all of this seems shocking at first blush (particularly for a family growing-up in NY and NJ), it works at Migis. When we informed the management of our concern about not locking up our belongings including Ipads, laptops, and my expensive road bicycle, they assured us that nothing has ever been stolen at Migis. I am happy to say that nothing happened to our belongings. To further the Migis system of trust, all of their boats (every type imaginable), and fishing equipment are laid-out in the open for anyone to use.
As for the outdoor facilities, it appears to me that Migis has over a half mile of waterfront property. My typical activities included taking a row boat or kayak out for an hour following sailing for an hour and half. I also took some long and short swims in the lake. Tim, the owner, gave me a lesson on the stand-up paddle board, and I was paddling up and down the shoreline. I also played tennis with my daughter. The equipment provided by the resort is plentiful so there never is an issue of waiting for a boat or having a time limit on the usage. I did some hiking at Migis but found that the woods were a bit too dense and rocky for my liking. Instead, my family and I went nearby to Rattlesnake Mountain (don’t worry – there are no rattlesnakes) for a beautiful one hour hike. Since we went out of the resort during lunch, Migis packed us a beautiful lunchbox. I also took some early morning bike rides around Long Lake.
Our rooms at the Lodge were very comfortable and clean. The bathrooms looked brand-new. Either they were recently redone or they are meticulously maintained. The flooring in our room appears to me to be some type of indoor/outdoor tile and carpet. The furnishings and bedding are simple, dark colored and comfortable. Again, the rooms are appropriately designed for the rustic surroundings given that you are walking on dirt roads and trails all day. Note that rooms in the Lodge are located above or near the dining room. The setting-up of tables for breakfast at 7:30am can be heard in the rooms, and may be an issue for someone who prefers to sleep late. For us, it was not an issue since we are up early each day.
The meals at Migis are delicious and of top quality. We eat at many of the most popular restaurant in NYC and we were surprised on how good the food was Migis. I have an issue with garlic and the Lodge’s chef consulted with me prior to each lunch and dinner. Special accommodations were given to me which is something Migis can easily do since it is catering to only 100 to 150 guests at a time. In that regard, the service during the meals and at all other times was superb since the resort has 80 to 90 fulltime employees. That means that the resort is running almost a one to one ratio of staff to guests!!
Also note that many of the meals are served outdoors by the Lake. It is the most beautiful dining experience. Plus the bugs were never an issue given the dry air and the constant breeze.
Both the staff and the guests are very friendly. During our five day stay, we saw a family reunion of 50 people, young and old couples, and number of young families. Migis provides a supervised day camp for kids starting at age 5. Interestingly, certain of the guest were travel professionals who chose to spend their vacation time at Migis based on its reputation in the travel industry.
As for value, certain people complain on Trip Adviser that Migis is overpriced. For me and my family, I come to the opposite conclusion ( I am a CPA by profession). If you price the food, and the free alcohol which is served during certain days of the week, plus you add-in the free usage of the boating equipment, you may conclude that the “freebies” amount to $100 per day. If you subtract that amount from the daily rate, you may conclude that Migis is appropriately priced. Regardless of the price, I think you will conclude that Migis is one of the most memorable vacation experiences ever. We look forward to coming back to Migis again with our kids, and if we are so blessed one day, with our grandkids.

5  Thank Neil T
Reviewed 2 June 2011

Stayed at Migis for two nights for a family wedding and loved it. Highlights were the lobster bake outdoors -- I grew up in New England and miss Maine lobsters and steamer clams -- and the extremely comfy cabins. This is a low-key place, sorta like a summer camp for adults but with nice accommodations. It is not a fancy resort; it is an extremely engaging, informal, and comfortable lodge for those who like the woods and lakes of New England. The staff was extremely nice, offering to fetch things for a guest who had left something in his cabin, and lighting the fire in the cabin for me. (Matches and I do not get along.) It was very early in the season and chilly, so I did not get a chance to take out any of the kayaks, rowboats, or canoes that are available to guests to use anytime.
(On my morning jog along the roads lined with lavender lilacs in bloom, I discovered the childhood home Nathaniel Hawthorne nearbyl it's now a museum and community center.)

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in Oxford
The Westin Portland Harborview
Hilton Garden Inn Auburn Riverwatch
Sebago Lake Lodge & Cottages

Been to Migis Lodge? Share your experiences!