“Online buyer beware” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in South Portland
South Portland
“Online buyer beware”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013

Beware the little signs in the supposed non-smoking rooms that smell of smoke and then being accused of smoking in the non-smoking room. Little signs read $150 charge for smoking in room. Also this site booked me for the wrong date with no way to refund or change. I attempted several times to call the overseas number without an answer.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank Robert B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
New Brunswick
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2012

I was a little wary of this property based on some of the reviews I'd read, however, I was pleasantly surprised. The outside of the Knights Inn isn't much to look at but our rooms were quite nice. We stayed in the "yellow" building and we were pleased to see that our rooms were a good size, equipped with a fridge and microwave.

Some reviewers have commented on the smell or cleanliness but my experience was that the room was free of any unusual odours and it was extremely clean. Clearly, someone had taken great care in the upkeep of the rooms.

This isn't a 4 star property. But the rooms were larger than average, very clean, ample parking, just minutes from restaurants and shopping, oh and the fella that checked us in was very very friendly and warm.

I would definitely stay here again. Excellent value for the money spent.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank albinogypsy
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

I have no idea what people are talking about when they say this place is expensive. I paid $89 for a Columbus Day weekend at 2:00 AM on a Saturday morning, when the the only other rooms available in the area were $249!! I had a family emergency, and could not have planned. I used my GPS to find nearby hotels, but all were booked. I'm not a Knight's Inn girl, I usually stay at Hampton Inn or Marriot or something, but they were all booked solid. I hesitated in calling this place, I hate budget hotels, but they were the only game at that hour on a holiday weekend. The Owner met me at the door, checked me in quickly, and when I went to the room I actually said "WOW!" to myself. The room was clean and cheerful with a little fridge. The bathroom was updated and very clean. I've paid much more for much less in a hotel. They have basic cable, which is all I care about. The bed was soooo comfy, and the place was very quiet, no drunken parties, no yelling. Plenty of hot water in a clean tub. No coffee maker, but there's a Dunkin Donuts right across the not too busy street. No pool or playground, but if you're just trying to find a clean, comfortable room, who cares! I stayed there two nights, and was quite prepared to stay a third if necessary. The owner is business-like and efficient, he's certainly not unfriendly. Only about 10 minutes away from Maine Medical and all the other Portland and South Portland amenities. If I'm in the Portland area and needing a hotel, i would certainly stay here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: The rooms are all the same distance from the road, which isn't all that busy in the first place...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank CivilUs
Laguna Beach, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012

This facility is clean and tidy. The owners are gracious and welcoming. The price on Labor Day weekend was a higher than it should have been, but the date allows all inn-keepers to take advantage of our lack of planning. Again, not gorgeous, but clean and serviceable.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Foodie021
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

Needed a place on this trip at the last last minute. Picked this place. The desk dude was less than friendly, but the room was clean (dark) and the bed comfortable. I was disappointed with the price of this place. WOW! I paid ($70) with tax. I pay that for 3-4 stars on the vegas strip! Anyway, it was not awful, just average.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ExoticDave
Morristown, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

This isn't a top of the line chain motel, but it was sufficient for our stay. We weren't planning to spend much time in our room anyway. It was clean, no odors, comfortable bed (I checked for bed bugs, none). We had a fridge that worked, which was nice. We didn't check out the breakfast, but there is a Dunkin' Donuts just across the street (you can walk over) and it's convenient to the highway for getting into downtown. I'd go back.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank heatherm27
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

We stayed here on our way to Bar Harbour...stopped in Portland for some great seafood! rooms were bright,clean and comfortable and there was a dunkin donuts across the street so my coffee for the road was ready when I was!

Room Tip: you can park in front of your room,not a touristy area but a nice place to stay on your way. yes you...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Portland Harbor Hotel
#3 of 19 in Portland
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,267 reviews
Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront

Been to Knights Inn South Portland? Share your experiences!