Again, I am focusing on the accessibility aspect of this facility as I tend to think this is neglected in reviews on Tripadvisor. We stayed two nights here recently--once on way out to a family reunion and once on the way back--both in conjunction with flying in and out of the Portland Airport. Both times we were in the same little handicapped room, so I am guessing it may be the only one they have. It is tucked all the way at the end of the hall as far from the lobby and breakfast area as it can be--in fact, the door to the room is in the air lock at the end of the hall--so it is necessary to open a rather heavy door to come and go from the room. This was a first for me--I have never seen a room door out in the airlock/stairwell area--it also made maneuvering into the room difficult on my mobility scooter with a very tight turn. On the plus side, there are two very clearly marked handicapped parking spaces right by the outside door of that airlock, but there is a rather sharp incline up to the door with no landing area to stop in. One must negotiate that ramp, hold there, and get a swipe card into the slot and then try and open the door--perhaps those handicapped persons who have that helpful third hand can do this--I was happy I had family members to help me out.
The room was quiet and the bed was very comfortable with good linens and a nice assortment of pillows. TV worked just fine. Other than being a really small, tight room, it was nicely appointed.
The room itself has a big bathroom and a roll-in shower and good chair with a handheld shower sprayer. The bathroom could use some shelf space near the sink to put ones toiletries--the only shelf area was quite a way from the sink. The main problem is that the room itself is VERY tight for maneuvering in. I can walk some, so getting around was ok, but I am not sure anyone in a wheelchair would find it easy to use. There was no table or desk to use in the room of any sort. There is a sort of entrance to the room that is pretty much useless space, but it gave us a place to park the scooter and charge it.
The overall facilities include a really small congested breakfast room. NO ONE in a wheel chair could get breakfast for himself in that room without help!!! It was a zoo both times we were there. Food choices seemed very basic for a Comfort Inn. There is a tiny closet on the second floor that has one washer and one dryer in it. Again, for anyone handicapped, it is a tough facility to use. The machines are stacked and the dryer is really high and the hall is VERY tight. My small travel scooter would not make the turn into the washer/dryer area.
The staff seem quite nice and helpful. We used the shuttle to the airport last day and the driver was nice and shuttle was on time--even a bit early. They have so much airport traffic that they schedule the runs and you MUST reserve a place early. It is a busy hotel.
All in all, this is NOT your vacation place--it is a place to stay on your way in or out of Portland.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This is where you want to be! One block away from the largest mall in Maine. Unwind in our private BBQ/Patio area. We have it all. Beaches, Lighthouses, Entertainment and the Tastiest Restaurants around! Why not enjoy a lobster while you’re here?Smoke Free and an Environmental Leader, Comfort Inn South Portland offers hospitality at it's best! Freshly updated rooms, and an expanded breakfast area offering a complimentary hot breakfast daily, 24 hour Coffee & tea, afternoon cookies, free wi-fi,free long distance in the U.S. & Canada, & flat screen TV's with H.D. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Choice Hotels, Odigeo, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Comfort Inn Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Comfort Inn Airport Hotel South Portland
- Comfort Inn South Portland
- South Portland Comfort Inn