“Handicapped Room Review”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Arkansas
“Handicapped Room Review”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Again, I am focusing on the accessibility aspect of this facility as I tend to think this is neglected in reviews on Tripadvisor. We stayed two nights here recently--once on way out to a family reunion and once on the way back--both in conjunction with flying in and out of the Portland Airport. Both times we were in the same little handicapped room, so I am guessing it may be the only one they have. It is tucked all the way at the end of the hall as far from the lobby and breakfast area as it can be--in fact, the door to the room is in the air lock at the end of the hall--so it is necessary to open a rather heavy door to come and go from the room. This was a first for me--I have never seen a room door out in the airlock/stairwell area--it also made maneuvering into the room difficult on my mobility scooter with a very tight turn. On the plus side, there are two very clearly marked handicapped parking spaces right by the outside door of that airlock, but there is a rather sharp incline up to the door with no landing area to stop in. One must negotiate that ramp, hold there, and get a swipe card into the slot and then try and open the door--perhaps those handicapped persons who have that helpful third hand can do this--I was happy I had family members to help me out.

The room was quiet and the bed was very comfortable with good linens and a nice assortment of pillows. TV worked just fine. Other than being a really small, tight room, it was nicely appointed.

The room itself has a big bathroom and a roll-in shower and good chair with a handheld shower sprayer. The bathroom could use some shelf space near the sink to put ones toiletries--the only shelf area was quite a way from the sink. The main problem is that the room itself is VERY tight for maneuvering in. I can walk some, so getting around was ok, but I am not sure anyone in a wheelchair would find it easy to use. There was no table or desk to use in the room of any sort. There is a sort of entrance to the room that is pretty much useless space, but it gave us a place to park the scooter and charge it.

The overall facilities include a really small congested breakfast room. NO ONE in a wheel chair could get breakfast for himself in that room without help!!! It was a zoo both times we were there. Food choices seemed very basic for a Comfort Inn. There is a tiny closet on the second floor that has one washer and one dryer in it. Again, for anyone handicapped, it is a tough facility to use. The machines are stacked and the dryer is really high and the hall is VERY tight. My small travel scooter would not make the turn into the washer/dryer area.

The staff seem quite nice and helpful. We used the shuttle to the airport last day and the driver was nice and shuttle was on time--even a bit early. They have so much airport traffic that they schedule the runs and you MUST reserve a place early. It is a busy hotel.

All in all, this is NOT your vacation place--it is a place to stay on your way in or out of Portland.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
blandergren, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn Airport, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Greeting Bkwrm,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We have 3 handicapped accessible rooms on-site. I apologize that you found your room "little." I hope you come back and try one of the other rooms, as they may be more accommodating for you. I am glad that you found our handicap parking spots clearly marked. We follow strict guidelines on being ADA compliant in all areas.

It is nice to hear that you found your room "quiet," bed "very comfortable," it had "good linens" and a "nice assortment of pillows."

I am happy that you found the bathroom and roll-in shower "big." I appreciate your feedback on additional shelving for toiletries, and will look into this and through upper management and Choice standards.

Our breakfast area was renovated 2 years ago, expanded in efforts to be more accommodating for our guests. I apologize that it was congested for you. We have tried to provide alternative options for when this arises, such as: breakfast trays, offering our beautiful landscaped patio area and of course guest services in assisting you with breakfast, laundry or any need you may have.

Again, we appreciate you thorough review and thank you for the time in completing this. We listen to all of our guests. Please let me know if I can be of additional assistance.

jessica.geary@withamhotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Monroe, Connecticut
Reviewed 9 August 2014

While traveling for work I stayed at this hotel three weeks in a row. Each room I stayed in was clean and comfortable. Not all rooms have microwave/fridge but if you ask at the desk when checking in they will accommodate you. Easy on/off I-95 and close to 295 as well, so a great place for an overnight rest stop if traveling to upper Maine. Lots of food close by as well as a mall.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that doesn't face the airport. Noise is minimal, but rooms facing away from th...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
blandergren, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn Airport, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Greetings Sarah K,

Thank you for staying with us during your business travels. I am glad to hear that you found our rooms "clean" and "comfortable." I was a little confused when you mentioned that not all of our rooms had microwaves and refrigerators, as all do. I only follow up on this as you gave us credit for our rooms, staff and location, and just wanted to make sure you were giving the correct hotel great reviews. I do hope it was us you stayed with. If your company requires travel and you will be in this area more often, please contact me as I may be able to better assist you.

Mount Uniacke, Canada
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed here for two nights after coming from Yarmouth on the Nova Star. The location is absolutely perfect; outside of the hustle and bustle of Portland, but close to I95 and amenities you may need. Check in was easy, and the two gentlemen who work nights were welcoming and very helpful. The room was comfortable, clean, and roomy. We noticed that the shower head was on incorrectly and made it difficult for some in our party to shower, but we filled out the maintenance request card provided and it was fixed immediately by the time we had returned. The included breakfast was the best I've ever experienced at a hotel, and I highly suggest trying the waffles!! We were allowed to play cards in the breakfast area one evening, and they had fresh warm cookies and juice available in there. Our experience was nothing short of excellent and I would definitely recommend staying here! They put the 'comfort' in Comfort Inn!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
blandergren, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn Airport, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Greetings Cloudwater88,

I'm glad to hear that you found our location convenient to the Nova and downtown Portland. It's also great to know that our desk staff was "welcoming" and "very helpful." I will make sure to share this with them, as well as share with the housekeeping department that you found our rooms "comfortable" and "clean." I thank you for bringing the shower head issue to the attention of our desk, so they could have maintenance address this for you. It's assuring to hear that they fixed this "immediately." I also appreciate you mentioning that the breakfast was, "the best I've ever experienced." Breakfast can be tricky due to different desires, expectations and diets. I too have tried the waffles (blueberry) and they were so yummy! The cookies are part of our Customer Appreciation Reception. Just a secret, we always have the cookies, but we change other items with the seasons!

We appreciate your time and positive review. We hope you come back to visit us again!

Troy, New York
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Comfort Inn Airport for 11 nights while a family member was at Maine Medical. The motel is very clean and has a wonderful staff. Without being nosy, they were concerned about our stress and helped make our stay easier. The motel has on-site laundry facilities. Each room also has a small refrigerator and a microwave. The clientele was quiet and even though the motel was filled almost every night, there was rarely any noise. The drive from the motel to Maine Medical was less than 15 minutes. We also send a big 'thank you' to the wonderful staff.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Greetings Kay E,

From all of us at the Comfort Inn, thank you for such a wonderful review. I also hope for the best for your family member. I will make sure to let my team know that their efforts helped create a more comfortable stay, during what wounds like a tough time. It is also nice to hear that you found our hotel "clean," staff "wonderful" and property "quiet." We hope you come back to visit us some time.

Please let me know if you need any assistance.

Amherst, Canada
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This is a good location if you are flying out of Portland or just to do some shopping. Have stayed here several times. Rooms are clean and well equipped. Staff is very helpful. Close to everything, shopping, airport, beaches and resturants.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank smed88
blandergren, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn Airport, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Greetings smed88,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our property. We appreciate knowing you are a repeat guest of ours and value your choice in staying with us. It's great to know our location fits your needs. We are one mile from the airport, 1 block from the Maine Mall and 4 miles from Downtown Historic Old Port. I tend to refer to us as centrally located, due to our convenience in closeness to many attractions. I will be sure to let my team know that you find our rooms "clean," "well equipped," and staff "helpful." .

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

jessica.geary@withamhotels,com
Hilton Head, South Carolina
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Good location near Hwy. and airport. Rooms getting dated, but good. Breakfast area small and gets very dense! Close to beaches and downtown. Good staff help.
Rates on high side $134 for senior rate; city hotels overall very high. But it was high season and next to airport, it worked

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
blandergren, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn Airport, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Greetings Traildust,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our property. I'm glad our property suited you well with regards to our location to the beach, downtown and airport. I appreciate your feedback on our rooms "working." We recently updated our rooms, however we listen to all of our guests and expect more changes in the near future. Summer time rates are a little higher in Maine. June and September are also great shoulder months to visit our lovely state and rates are lower.

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Thornhill
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Front desk help was amazing. The hotel had a good location, good sleep quality and a good breakfast. We would definitely stay here again. Close to shopping and easy access to downtown. Took the trolley tour too.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Greetings DPALUCH,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our property. It is always great to hear wonderful feedback on our front desk being "amazing," that our breakfast was "good," and of course, that you would stay with us again! That's fantastic that you got to experience the trolley, one of Portland's many types of tours (Foodies, Wicked Walking, Historical, Brew...we have them all)! Please let me know if you do visit us again, as I would love to offer recommendations on tours.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Portland
#1 of 14 in South Portland
Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine
Howard Johnson Hotel South Portland
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland

Been to Comfort Inn Airport? Share your experiences!