“Bad Customer Service”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in South Portland
Truro, Canada
“Bad Customer Service”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I was planning my family shopping trip with my sister and my 70 year old Aunt and Mother from Canada to South Portland. I booked room 303 at the Best Western Merry Manor Inn months in advance because room 303 is so unique with its four double beds in one suite which is perfect to accommodate my family. I called the hotel directly a few days ahead to confirm the reservation and I was told that it was cancelled and I should call the central reservation number to find out why. I called the central reservation number to find out what happened and they said to call the Hotel directly. I called the hotel back and was put though to the managers voice mail...and I called back again and was put on hold. In the meantime this is not a 1-800 number and I'm paying long distance charges from Canada for all the calls. The bottom line was the reservation was cancelled by the hotel because when the ran my credit card several months after the reservation was made it was declined. The card was declined because they misspelled my last name. However, no one bothered to call and get correct info, a new credit card number or to let me know that the reservation was cancelled. I was treated very poorly and blamed for the problem because my credit card was declined...I ended up making a reservation and the Holiday Inn Express in South Portland. There was no resolution to the problem.

Room Tip: Call and double check your reservation before you go...and book with the central booking number and...
Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jane A
BWmgr, General Manager at Best Western Merry Manor Inn, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Jane A.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I sincerely apologize that you feel as though we provided you with poor customer service. As you can see by the various feedback from fellow travelers, we strive to make every guest’s experience special. We want to make this right for you, and I understand that Best Western’s central reservations has compensated you with bonus points. I apologize if someone misspelled your name, but I want you to know that this has no relation to charging your credit card as there is no correlation between the two. In addition, we do not ask for advanced deposits so we would not have attempted to charge your card until you arrived to check-in. The only exception to this is if we have a special running where we are able to offer a discount for advanced purchase bookings. In this case your card would have been charged immediately upon booking with your approval. I hope you can understand my concern as what you’ve described is not our protocol and would not have caused your room to be cancelled. In further research it shows that the Pheonix headquarters canceled your reservation upon request at the beginning of May. I sincerely apologize for this if cancelling was not your intention. We would like to learn from our mistakes to ensure we’re consistently providing superior service to our guests. We will certainly be in contact with the reservation line through Best Western to ensure this does not happen again. I appreciate you taking the time to notify us of the issue you experienced and again we truly apologize. If I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me at 207-774-6151.

Jess Donovan, G.M.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Terrebonne, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We were at this Hotel for one night and we really appreciated our stay. Check in was courteous and we enjoyed a clean and comfortable room on third floor. We were given complimentary coupons for the next morning breakfast at the ''Maine Table'', a restaurant contiguous to the Hotel. We were also given discount coupons for the dinner at the same restaurant. We were a little disappointed with the clam chowder we ordered. It was lukewarm going on cold, but it was late and we did not bother mentioning it to the waiter, who by the way was very polite and attentive. We are not difficult people, I admit. But honestly it should have been taken back. The complimentary buffet breakfast, the next morning, was good. They have a great heated outdoor swimming pool and a hot tub, an exercise room and other facilities for reception or meeting. It is very well located to visit the area of downtown Portland and Cape Elizabeth. We were given direction by Sam at the Reception which were valuable. Again very convenient and affordable. We would return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank southguy
Kathy D, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Merry Manor Inn, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
We are delighted that you had a great stay. I apologize that your clam chowder was lukewarm at the Maine Table. I will be sure to let the restaurant manager know. Thank you for mentioning all of the great amenities that are included with your room, such as the 24 hour fitness center. We hope when traveling in Maine you will visit us again!
Bangor, Maine
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We always try and stay at the Merry Manor in South Portland when we go to Portland for shopping or sport events. Always, Always a nice stay - very clean, friendly and everything you need....and the kids LOVE the pool and I LOVE the hot tub!!

Room Tip: I have really never had a bad room so all are good...I hear the suites are GREAT but have not stayed...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Marcie P
Marcie, thank you for the great review of our property. It is wonderful to hear that your always have a great stay when visiting the Best Western Merry Manor Inn. I hope you loved all the renovations we made to the pool house and Jacuzzi tub areas!
Claremont
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Hotel is being renovated and has the feel of a new hotel. It has a wonderful heated outdoor pool open all year round. There is easy access to downtown Portland. Breakfast at restaurant included. Staff is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank H_CLAY687
Thank you for your recent stay with us at the Best Western Merry Manor. We appreciate hearing from our guests about our hotel and we love to hear that we are a good value. We think our location is great, centrally located to many nearby attractions and easily accessible. The great part is that you are not paying downtown Portland prices but are still able to enjoy all that downtown Portland has to offer by only driving 5 minutes to local attractions. We hope to see you back when all our updates to the hotel are complete!
Portland, United States
Reviewed 30 April 2014

A real enjoyable stay, it is hard to find a bed that I can say is comfortable but the bed at the Merry Manor I rate an A+ slept as good as on my sleep number at home.The staff were wonderful the area quiet and a very good breakfast I will be staying with them on my visits to Portland Maine from now on

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

John, we are overjoyed by your great comments. It is nice to hear that our beds match the comfort of your sleep number bed. We provide our guests with many pillows to make the beds more comfy as well. We look forward to getting to know you when traveling in the Portland area. Please stop by and introduce yourself. We love making our guests feel like family!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 April 2014

This is my favorite hotel in the Portland area! I love this place! The staff is friendly and welcoming and the hotel is reasonably priced. The beds are super comfy. I have stayed in a regular room as well as a suite and both are excellent. The rooms are well appointed and are very clean and neat. The hotel is quiet and set back from Route 1. It is about a 5 minute drive from the Maine Mall. The complimentary breakfast is a fully served hot breakfast in the restaurant attached to the hotel--not your typical complimentary breakfast! The best part of this hotel is the indoor-outdoor pool! I was here once when it was cold outside and the pool was heated and I swam from the inside out to the outside part and watched the stars and the moon come up. The hot tub is wonderful and also has a small waterfall. This hotel is Portland's best kept secret, indeed!!!!!!

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Kathy D, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Merry Manor Inn, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
I love that you called us the "Gem of Portland" and I totally agree! Many families recently stayed with us during April vacation and enjoyed a fun "staycation" right here at the Best Western Merry Manor. The heated outdoor pool and Jacuzzi with waterfall are what makes us a "hidden" secret. We are delighted that we are your favorite place to stay in Portland! We look forward to many more visits AND many more great memories to come!
Fort Fairfield, Maine, United States
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Food was excellent, staff very courteous and friendly. room was clean and comfortable, location ideal, right off 1-95, close to South Portland Mall, great indoor-outdoor pool, price was very reasonable.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Richard N
Thank you Richard for your recent stay with us. We are delighted that your stay was comfortable and that you were able to enjoy many of the amenities such as the heated outdoor pool! You are correct in saying that the hotel is easily accessible to I-95, as well as Rt. 1 and I-295! We are just a short ride to Downtown Portland and many shopping outlets and the Maine Mall. Many guests love that they can stay with us when visiting the Portland area without paying the higher rates they experience when staying in Downtown Portland. Plus we have the relaxing pool that our guests enjoy all year round! We hope you will come back and visit us again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Portland
#15 of 19 in Portland
Hampton Inn Portland Airport
Hampton Inn Portland Airport
#1 of 13 in South Portland

Been to Best Western Merry Manor Inn? Share your experiences!