“clean, very nice”

Best Western Merry Manor Inn
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in South Portland
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed one nite with my daughter. From the first greeting it was a very pleasant stay. Clean room, bathroom was spotless and Sam at the desk was extremely nice and helpful! I would recommend staying here rather than an overpriced downtown hotel! Very easy access on and off 295 to the Waterfront. .

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Kathy D, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Merry Manor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Linda, we are delighted that you and your daughter had a great stay! We strive for great customer service and I am pleased that Sam made you feel welcomed from the start! Thank you for recommending us! We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I made reservations over phone few months ago before our arrival in June to Maine. I was assured this was located down town as we wanted to be able to walk downtown as parking is expensive and hard to find. I booked it. Our son and grand-daughter decided to join us after the reservation. I called to change the bed size- I was told it would be an extra 20.00 for my son per nite. I said ok, fine. Bit steep but was willing to pay due to location.

We arrived and were horrified to find several things. First it is under construction, all tore up and blocked off sections with equipment and yellow tape. It is not DOWNTOWN. It is 12 miles away. While I talked to lady at desk about my concerns husband went to the bathroom AND said we are not staying here the bathrooms are filthy were urine on toilet seats, toilet paper on the floors and more nasty stuff to talk about here. I was about in tears as we had our young grand-daughter with us- not a clean and safe place to stay. How can you not ensure that the lobby bathrooms are CLEAN and not Urine soaked with incoming guests?

The gal at front desk did cancel my reservation without charge and was helpful in providing telephone numbers to other hotels.

I was not told about any upcoming remodeling when I made the reservation; I was incorrectly told about the location.

It might be nice place to stay when remodeling done- but for now, go elsewhere.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Kathy D, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Merry Manor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Ironbutterfly, I apologize for your first impression of the hotel. What you and your husband witnessed when first arriving at the hotel does not fairly represent our hotel. Our housekeepers do an excellent job keeping the rooms and common areas clean and comfortable for our guests. I apologize that you were not told about the construction ahead of time. We have updated all websites and 3rd party sites to ensure our guests are properly notified of the construction. I hope you will consider giving us another try so we can show you what a superior service we provide.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Hotel had quiet, clean and comfortable rooms. Breakfast buffet was standard, although it was nice to sit in a booth and have th server bring our beverages. (Breakfast buffet was served in the adjacent restaurant) If not for the construction (both at the hotel parking lot and the road immediately outside), my rating would have been excellent. The hotel has an excellent location....very close to all of the main highways, and close to the many tourist attractions in the area.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Reeni, thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel. We would have loved the "Excellent" rating but understand the construction on the hotel held you back. The parking lot construction is finished and they are finishing up the roof construction in the next 2 weeks. We will be glad to get our hotel back! We try our best to provide a clean, comfortable stay to all our guests and glad you found the hotel itself to be what you expected. We hope you will stay with us again so we can earn that "Excellent" rating from you.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed here for 4 days, and found this hotel was great. Our room had a king size bed, separate area for the fridge, microwave, and had an extra sink. The bathroom was a good size, the tub had a newer insert in it, and they made sure the bottom had a non slip bottom.

Free buffet breakfast. Coffee was excellent, and buffet was good, but the hotel needs to stay on top of keeping items filled. The service was wonderful. This is a great location to travel all over Portland Maine and the surrounding area.

This hotel is undergoing renovations right now, but workers generally don't start till 8 am. To see the renovations is a good thing, as it just makes this hotel even better.

Great job Best Western, and the staff. We can see how all of you work hard to make our stay wonderful.

Room Tip: We like getting a king bed as it gives us more sleeping room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for recognizing how hard our staff works to ensure our guests have a great experience. We are elated that your 4 day stay was comfortable and enjoyable. We are also glad the construction did not inconvenience you in any way. They will be finished in the next few weeks and can't wait for the finished product! We appreciate you choosing the Best Western Merry Manor and look forward to your future stays with us!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

The overall value for the dollar is great if you are planning a Maine vacation. The staff were helpful and made some good recommendation of activities to do in the area. The breakfast that is included with your hotel stay is also a good value. We ate enough that we were not even hungry until supper time!

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Joyce, thank you for your recent stay with us. We are pleased that you found the hotel to be a good value. The All-American breakfast buffet is enough to keep you satisfied until dinner! There is a wide selection of items to choice from, and it's a buffet, so you can go back for seconds! We hope when traveling in the Portland area you will stay with us again!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

This Best Western is named appropriately. It is the Best in every way. It is clean, hospitable and in a great area. I just love staying here when visiting Maine. I would stay no where else when visiting the Portland area. And I love the pool temperature..90 degrees...Yes 90 degrees. You can even swim when the snow is falling...fun, fun! Thank you Best Western of Portland Maine.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

You're so sweet for calling us the "Best in Everyway!" We think we are pretty awesome, but it's nice to hear that our guests think it too! We appreciate your continued loyalty to our hotel and look forward to you staying with us again! The pool is waiting for you to enjoy!

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Though the furniture was a bit dated, the Bridal Suite was wonderful. they had the biggest Jacuzzi I had ever seen. I loved the Bath and Body Works products too. The included Breakfast was the best. I was glad they were trying to update and keep the place up.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Kathy D, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Merry Manor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Cher, we are pleased that you enjoyed the "little" things that we have to offer our guests, like the Bath and Body Works toilettes. We think our complimentary breakfast is better than most other hotels that offer a standard continental breakfast. Ours is a hot, All-American breakfast buffet at our on-site restaurant, The Maine Table. Guests can enjoy eggs, homemade waffles, sausage, ham, baked beans, muffins, bagels, and so much more! It is delicious! The restaurant was renovated last year and offers fresh Maine products and dishes. We have also renovated our pool house area and are currently adding a pitched roof to the King wing and repaving the parking lot. We are excited about the updates we are making to the property and hope you will come back and visit us again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Portland
#10 of 13 in South Portland
Clarion Hotel
Clarion Hotel
#18 of 21 in Portland

Been to Best Western Merry Manor Inn? Share your experiences!