“Approved request for rooms different when signed in” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Portland Marriott at Sable Oaks

Portland Marriott at Sable Oaks
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in South Portland
West Paris, Maine
“Approved request for rooms different when signed in”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

We had requested three double bed rooms right next to each other and they confirmed this was possible. When arriving found we had three rooms on different floors. Upon asking about this, they moved us to three rooms on the third floor....not together. Two of the rooms had a king size bed and a couch making out stay more difficult to accommodate the eight people staying there. Although the rooms were excellent, with the price we paid we felt that we should have been told before arriving about this change!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Ed_Palmer, General Manager at Portland Marriott at Sable Oaks, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Thank you Ruth061957 for your feedback on your stay with us here at Sable Oaks. It sounds as if you were on a holiday shopping mission. I am very sorry we were not able to accommodate your room type request. We try very hard to fulfill all requests but this particular weekend was a challenge for our rooms with double beds with a hockey group and a regional beauty pageant. Our room mix only includes thirty-five percent doubles. We do however have a fold out couch in every room with a king size bed. Please contact me directly if you are traveling this way again and I will make sure your room is perfect and at the best possible rate. I can be contacted at ed.palmer@marriott.com. Thank you, Best regards, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. Ed Palmer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

To set the stage I'm a Marriott rewards platinum member who has stayed at Marriott properties at least 50 nights this year so I know Marriott and what to expect.

I was planning to visit LL Bean and at the last minute asked my wife if she'd like to spend the night in Portland rather than drive 5 hours round trip in one day. So we booked the Marriott at Sable Oaks expecting I slightly upgraded experience over the courtyard near the jetport which happens to be a very nice hotel.

We arrived around 9PM and we're given a room on the 4th floor. I was expecting a concierge level room given my platinum status and the relatively empty parking lot but who knows maybe the concierge level was booked and this was a points stay. The person at the desk never even acknowledged that I'm a platinum member, trivial but common when I check-in at any Marriott property.

The room is just Ok, many courtyards and residence inns are much nicer, dated decor and when I look out the window there is a evergreen tree sprouting up around a drain the flat roof below. Zero attention to detail.

The next morning when I woke up my allergy prone nose was twitching like it does around dogs, cats, mold or cigarette smoke - maybe a coincidence but I suspected something was lurking in the room that I'm allergic to.

I was planning to stop at the front desk to ask about the room, is it their pet friendly room?, but a long line at the desk discouraged me.

I know a harsh review that didn't involve any single horrible experience but the rating is based on what I expect from a Marriott brand hotel, if this were a courtyard I'd given it a 3 for example.

I hope the folks at Marriott headquarters in Bethesda take a close look at this property and either re-brand or embark on a serious renovation project.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jmh22
Ed_Palmer, General Manager at Portland Marriott at Sable Oaks, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Thank you jmh22 for your feedback on your stay here at Sable Oaks. It is through comments such as yours that help our staff work toward assuring future travelers do not experience similar issues. Our pet-friendly floor is our first floor and we try to avoid pets on our upper floors. The evergreen growing on the roof over the pool was something that happened this spring and as that roof is being replaced this week. It will be transplanted and hopefully survive the winter. It was perceived as a touch of Maine but I can see how it could be seen as a lack of attention to detail. If you would send a message to my email, ed.palmer@marriott.com. I would like to get some more information on your room number and check-in date so I can further investigate your room quality and service concerns. We hope you will consider this property again in the future if your travels bring you to the greater Portland region. Best regards, Ed Palmer
Dix HIlls, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

5. Biggest, nicest indoor hotel pool we've ever seen. And it's salt water! No horrible overbearing chlorine smell.

4. Fabulous breakfast buffet. Made to order omelettes, waffles, fresh ripe fruit, scrambled eggs, bacon, and pastries. Cost-$16 for adults, $5 for kids. Small Starbucks outpost at bar near restaurant.

3. Location-across from Maine Mall; Close to Portland, Freeport and Saco. Five minutes from Portland Jetport. Freeport is a big draw..due to LL Bean and outlets. I thought it was so funny that people unbox their purchases and leave boxes in the hall (see photo).

2. Clean room. Comfortable bed, down quilt. Bathroom nicely done..marble counter, assortment of trial size bathroom items. And the bathroom has a fan...haven't seen that in a hotel in quite awhile. The room is not spacious (2 double beds) but how much time do you plan on spending there anyway? There was a small fridge there that we didn't order but it came in handy.

1. Although we had minimal contact with hotel personnel, when we did they were accommodating and pleasant. We will definitely consider this hotel when visiting Portland again.

-1 The only negative of the stay was that housekeeping did not make up the room the first day. When I called about this, someone came up immediately to restock bathroom and clean if we wanted. It was too late at that point.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you NYMosie for your very kind words in reference to your stay here at Sable Oaks. We have just celebrated our twenty-fifth anniversary as the only full-service Marriott hotel in the state of Maine. We are very proud of our staff and physical plant. I am sorry to hear we had a mix up with making up your room after the first night but I'm glad that our staff were quick to offer to remedy the situation. We hope that you will again give us the opportunity to serve you here at Sable Oaks in the future. Best regards, Ed Palmer
Highland Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

This hotel is typical marriott with a very friendly staff close to PWM. Club Lounge well run with outgoing staff offering breakfast and cocktails / snacks. Solid choice in Portland, Maine. You can't go wrong.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

The Sable Oaks Marriott has become our regular hotel when we are visiting Portland, usually for a night or two before we fly back south after a Maine vacation. The location is excellent - not too far from Portland, Freeport and Cape Elizabeth - and just 5 minutes from the airport. The setting is very quiet - our room overlooked trees and a lawn - very pretty and peaceful. The rooms are very comfortable and clean. The lobby bar is a great place to watch the game and have some drinks and snacks. We had dinner in the restaurant the last night we were there and the food was very good. Their signature salad is delicious! The lobby has a computer center that makes early flight check-in very easy - no charge.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the back of the property - very quiet and pretty view.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Moncton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

We made a mistake of checking in later in the day and the hotel was fully booked!! Well, the lovely girl on the front desk offered us the suite since we we're staying two days. Nice! After grabbing a couple of warm cookies we headed to the suite.
I really don't want to complain about a nice deed but boy, was this place dated. I haven't seen Spanish style furniture in years!! The bedroom was nice..I've always loved a marriot bed..nothing nicer. But the living room area was old.. The maid must have wiped the flat screen tv with a dirty rag, because it was scratched and hazy. When I turned the light on in the bedroom, it arched but they can as soon was we called the maintenance. Anyway. We had a great stay, but I wouldn't pay the price they wanted too stay in the suite. I'd be very disappointed.

Room Tip: It's a preference thing...lots to offer.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

We were on the concierge level (6th floor) and when we walked into our room there was a terrible smell, like dirty socks. We asked to be moved and the second room was much better - no smell or odor. The concierge lounge served a light dinner of two different green salads, fresh fruit, hot pork dumplings and mini butternut squash quiche. Very filling and satisfying. Complementary wine and beer and there was a refrigerator filled with bottled water, sodas and juice. Plenty of seating an two TV.
We chose this hotel because it was close to the airport and they offer shuttle service.

Room Tip: Concierge level offers complimentary light dinner and breakfast.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Ramada Plaza Portland
Ramada Plaza Portland
#13 of 19 in Portland
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,461 reviews

Been to Portland Marriott at Sable Oaks? Share your experiences!