“Not a Good Beginning, But a Pleasant Outcome”

Days Inn Airport/Maine Mall
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in South Portland
“Not a Good Beginning, But a Pleasant Outcome”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed at the hotel 6/25-6/29. When I arrived at the hotel at 2:00 a.m. (about 15-20 minute drive from the airport) 6/26, I was given a choice of 2 rooms (I had placed my reservations more than 1 month earlier), one was Room 245, and the other was a handicap accessible room. I chose room 245. BIG mistake. The hotel is located next to I-205 and Room 245 was located in the part of the hotel closest to the interstate. When I opened the door to the room, the old joke "The room was so small I had to go outside to change my mind!" certainly applied here. This room appeared to be an afterthought. The queen-size bed took up almost all of the available space. A small coat rack was located on a wall next to the bed (no closet or alcove), the combination dresser/TV stand was badly scratched and falling apart (the drawers were stuck and ill -fitting) and was located at the foot of the bed. You almost had to turn sideways to get between the bed and the TV stand. TV had no sound and there was no response to the remote, and the one chair (no table) in the room completely blocked access to the nightstand where the phone and radio were located.

The AC unit cover was cracked and falling apart, there was wood chips all over the floor, (the hotel is in the middle of laying new carpet throughout the hallways and stairwells, thus the debris in the room).

Being next to the interstate - there was constant noise from outside - very little noise baffling if any).

In the bathroom, the vent fan cover was off and missing, exposing a dirty/dusty fan, and they installed a wet-bar type sink with no stopper to plug the drain. Not exactly the hotel's "best foot forward".

In the morning I went downstairs to the front desk to advise them of the conditions I found requested another room. The desk clerk's response was "Did you call maintenance?" I advised him these were conditions the maids should have reported and again requested another room. The Clerk then suggested I could go ahead and check out and find another room elsewhere. It became apparent to me the clerk had no idea regarding the conditions of his room, nor did he seem concerned about my situation.

During our conversation the day manager was nearby and acknowledged my dissatisfaction and offered to find me another room. Within about 30 minutes I was offered another Room (#215), which had much more room and contained a King bed. After inspecting the room I thanked the manager (she was most accommodating).

The furniture in Room 215, though clean and functional, was showing years of wear and tare and looked like was thrown together out of leftover pieces from other rooms.

The guest laundry is located in hotel's workout room. 1 washer and 1 dryer serves all guests. You need your room key to access the workout area to get to the washer/dryer.

It should be noted that this hotel appears to be undergoing renovations. Stated earlier, new carpet was being installed in all the hallways and stairwells, refrigerators and microwaves were being replaced (new shipments were coming in every morning).

The hotel's wi-fi, though free, was rudimentary and had several week areas. Room 215 was located halfway down the hall from the front of the hotel and the signal was week to mediocre and was often lost. The signal itself cuts off as soon as you walk outside.

It should also be noted this hotel received AAA's Diamond Award for 2014 - an award I question given the condition of the rooms and the general attitude of the desk staff.

I give this hotel a year before I'd consider returning.

Room Tip: Avoid any of the rooms that end with 40 or higher - they are the ones located closest to the interst...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Laconia, New Hampshire
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed last Saturday night and when making the reservation, I was very wary as I had heard bad things about this hotel. We were pleasantly surprised! They have apparently been remodeling so the common areas were clean. We arrived early and thought we would be turned away but they gave us our room which was clean and crisp. There was a lingering faint smell of cigarette smoke and we spoke to the cleaning staff who immediately provided room deodorizer that worked beautifully. The front desk called to ask if everything was OK and were very cordial. The next morning, we had waffles and eggs for breakfast as part of their courtesy continental breakfast. Overall for the price, it was a great value!

Room Tip: The rooms in "B" section are clean and newer...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hancock
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We love this location- across from the Maine Mall, very close to both the Portland International Airport and to the Maine Turnpike and Interstate for continuing on a road trip. The hotel has been updated in recent years with a swimming pool and wonderful breakfast room (breakfast is included in the room fee!). The rooms are slowly being updated but some still need new carpet and décor. We have Wyndham Rewards so always stay here whenever we are in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

South Portland
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Front desk staff were friendly and curtious. Had an issue with bathroom but other than that room was fine. If returning to this hotel, I would bring my own pillow as the pillows were not comfortable. Staff in breakfast room was ok, definately nothing special.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Best Western Merry Manor Inn
Best Western Merry Manor Inn
#1 of 13 in South Portland
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland

Been to Days Inn Airport/Maine Mall? Share your experiences!