“Stay for business”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in South Portland
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We recently stayed at the Double Tree Inn in South Portland. The hotel seemed to very popular with people traveling on business, especially airline staff. For business purposes, I think it's probably a decent stay. But we came for vacation. Just a few observations - the rooms are very small! They have double beds instead of queens (it mentions this when you make a reservation, so I expected it). The bathrooms are tiny, the toilet is sandwiched between the sink and shower with little space in between. The pool looks very little like it does in the pictures - the windows in the pool area could use a good cleaning. The rooms themselves were very clean and the staff was very polite. The woman working the executive lounge during our stay (weekdays) was very friendly. The breakfast selections in the executive langue was ok, nothing amazing. We never made it back to the hotel in time for cocktail hour. But the fridge was kept well stocked with water, juices and soda. The location is nothing great. You're surrounded by chain restaurants and shopping centers (although the kids loved Friendly's!) The view from our room was Target and Toys R Us. But it's close to the highway and you can be at the beach in 15 minutes. The location makes it a good jumping point if you want to check out different parts of the area.

• Stayed: August 2013
Nick S, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Thank you for your feedback from your recent trip to our property. I truly appreciate you taking the time to let us know what went well and more importantly what we can improve on.

We like to think of our property as being very versatile. Our hotel does house a lot of business guests and airline crew members as you mentioned, but we are also a top leisure hotel in the Portland market. This being that we offer an indoor pool, free parking and wi fi and a great location that is near so many different things.

Two notes for your future travel. One being that we do plan on doing bathroom renovations in the near future. The other being that we also plan on doing work to our pool exterior in the near future. Stay tuned on those things as it won't be long and we will have made new major updates.

I thank you once again for choosing our hotel during your visit to Portland. Please think of us again someday in the future.

Rooms Division Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,017)

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Stayed at Doubletree in Portland last year and had nothing but good things to say. This year we went with another family and now they know why it's the best...warm pool for the kids, buffet breakfast for the kids in the morning was only $5.50, and the location next to the Maine Mall couldn't be better. Beds were very comfortable as well. Planning on another trip next year!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for making our hotel your "home away from home" these past two years. I'm very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stays at our property. Please feel free to contact me directly for your future trips!

Reviewed 29 August 2013

We had a wonderful stay at Double Tree by Hilton in Portland, ME. The staff was very helpful and friendly. You gotta love those warm chocolate cookies after a three hour drive! I had a special request for the acting manager, totally spur of the moment and he, (Brendan), was more than accommodating and helpful (: Thanks again Brendan! The barkeep, (all three), that we met over the weekend were great. Wonderful personalities! The rooms, by my standards, we very clean. The bathrooms, although were spotless, possibly need some updating with the toilets, showers and bathroom tiles. Just my opinion. But at least everything was clean (: We even ordered a cot for me which was very comfortable and for only $20! Overall stay was very good and although the Embassy Suites down the street offer more amenities the Double Tree made up for in niceness! Lol, thanks for listening (: Keep it REAL!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for choosing our hotel during your visit to Portland. I'm very happy to hear that your stay went well, and I will be sure to pass along your feedback to housekeeping and Brendan. I will also let you know that we do plan on future renovations to the bathroom, so stay tuned! Thank you again, and I look forward to seeing you again someday soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 26 August 2013

The Double Tree in Portland was a wonderful resting place for our family last weekend. The surroundings were lovely and the room attractive and quiet. I enjoyed the Starbucks downstairs where I got my morning coffee.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Nick S, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

I'd like to thank you for choosing our hotel while you were in Portland, Maine. I'm very happy to hear that overall your stay was a pleasant one. I hope that during your future travel to this area, you decide to choose us again!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Stayed in the Junior Suite for three nights with my family, as a quick vacation to Maine. The hotel is excellent, except the pool was very cold, and no hot tub. The Executive Club breakfast hostess was rude. But, overall this is a very nice hotet, and well maintained. Free Parking, Free Wifi, and close to the most anything, makes this hotel very attractive compared to the downtown Portland hotels. We have stayed here in the past when it was Shearaton and Wyndam, but I think under Double Tree, the hotel became one of the best in Portland to my opinion. Keep the pool warm! And get better Executive Club Room hostess.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your continued loyalty to our hotel during your visits to Portland, Maine. I truly appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback so that we can know what went well, and more importantly what we can improve on. I will be certain to share your feedback with our management team, so that we can continue to be what you mentioned and what our hotel aspires to be.

All the best,

Reviewed 23 August 2013

Room was updated, but very tiny! Especially the bathroom. Wish I had looked over the other hotels better- would not go there if I had! They are renovating but fall short! Do NOT eat at this place, it's gross! I honestly can't say anything great about the place . . . Sorry!

Room Tip: Don't choose one! :-)
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kim r

I'd like to thank you for choosing our hotel during your trip to Portland, Maine. While the content of your feedback is greatly alarming to me, I appreciate you taking the time to let us know what we can improve on. Without knowing what you had for dinner or when you ate, I can say that I shared your concerns with our Food and Beverage management team for review. Thank you once again for staying with our hotel and for your feedback. Please feel free to contact me directly with any other feedback that you may have.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 August 2013

My first and last stay at the Round Tower Double tree hilton in portland me. The staff was friendly and the hotel was clean, those are the only 2 positives. the "no excuses" gym lacked much of the equipment I would normally use and find in my local gym. the AC in the room was loud and cycled on and off frequently (5-10 min). the exhaust fan in the bathroom sounded like a blender. The room was small for a couple, but this is where they put a family of 4, both my boys are 6 feet tall. The full beds are adequate for a single person, I squeezed in with my wife, while one of my sons slept on the floor. the hotel is on the outskirts of Portland, next to the airport and highway - so not an upscale area, so a rate of $309 is ridiculous. I've paid less for a room with 2 kings in downtown NYC. tired and disappointed

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Nick S, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay with our property. While it is difficult for me to hear that the stay wasn't entirely pleasant, I appreciate you letting us know the things that we can improve on. I will also be sure to share your feedback both positive and constructive to our entire management team.

As you may be aware August in Maine is the states busiest month. All hotels are priced accordingly to the level of demand that comes up during this month. There are times where our hotel and all the others around us are $300+ each night, and that is always based upon the demand of the market.

I'd also like to add that our hotel has one of the largest and most modern fitness centers in the southern Maine market. We are certified by Precor an industry leader in fitness technology. While the hotel could never compete with a local gym, the fitness equipment is all brand new and the room is very large.

Thank you again for staying with us. Please feel free to contact me directly to share any other feedback that you may have.

Warmest Regards,

Hilton Garden Inn Portland Airport
Courtyard Portland Airport
Courtyard Portland Airport
#4 of 13 in South Portland

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland? Share your experiences!