“One Night Stay - Doubletree”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in South Portland
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We were a spur of the moment overnight stay and at the Doubletree Portland. Our room was good and quite clean. The amenities were fine and we found we were quite happy with our decision. The location was close to many restaurants and shopping. I would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hema05
Nick S, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to evaluate our property after your most recent visit. I'm happy to hear that your spur of the moment decision to stay, had you stay with us! I will be sure to pass along your feedback to our staff.

All the best,

Reviewed 6 November 2013

I was looking for a place to spend the night after being at a meeting all day. My daughter and I chose this for the unique shape of the building. Wonderful stay. The room was clean and quiet. It was a good choice and would stay here again. Conveniently located to the Maine Mall too. :)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

I'm happy to hear that your search for a hotel in Portland ended with us! Thank you for choosing to stay with our property. I will be sure to pass along your feedback to our staff and please think of us again the next time you are in the area!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 4 November 2013

I had a king size room on the 8th (Hilton Honors) floor. I found the staff to be friendly and efficient. As a Hilton Honors Gold member, I was given access to the executive lounge which had appetizers and drinks during happy hour and sodas, coffee and snacks available at other times. This was handy and a nice surprise. The room was clean, contemporary and large, although the bathroom was a bit tight. The room had a fridge and microwave, which I was not expecting. The location was convenient, close to the Maine Mall and a multitude of restaurants. It was also close to the freeways and a quick drive to downtown.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for choosing our property during your visit to Portland, Maine. I appreciate you taking the time to evaluate our property, and I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit. Our Executive lounge certainly sets us apart from the competition in the area, so please think of us again the next time you are in Portland.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 4 November 2013

The hotel was nice, staff members were very pleasant. The construction on site made the experience the absolute worst. They were working first thing in the morning and not only was it extremely noisy. The entire bed shook every time they dug in the ground. This made my business trip extremely uncomfortable.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for choosing our hotel for business while you were in Portland, Maine. Obviously the feedback that you shared is of great concern to me, and I will be passing it along to our owner. While construction to our parking lot and the surrounding area should be finished soon, the last thing that our hotel wants is for it to interrupt our guests. I truly apologize for this. I hope to see you for another business trip someday in the near future.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 3 November 2013

This hotel was a very good place to attend a conference. It was easy to move around an attend differ classes. The food was the best in the area. The room are somewhat older but very clean. All in all I would be happy to attend the same conference next year.

1  Thank Lawrence E

Thank you for your feedback from your most recent visit to our property. I will be sure to pass along your feedback to our management team, and give special "kudos" to our chef.

We hope to see you back again for your next conference!

Best,

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Although this was still a decent stay with nothing that would keep me from coming back, it is the "worse" of the Hilton properties I've stayed in over the years. But "worse" for a Hilton property is still better than the worse out there.

I'll get to the problems later, but I'll start with the positives.

The staff were great (for the most part.) Check-in, restaurant, room service, and housekeeping were all very friendly and accommodating. The food was excellent. I ate at the hotel for most of my three night stay. All the entrees I had eating at the bar were great. It's very close to the airport and right across the street from the Maine Mall.

So the negatives.

When I first arrived, early, I merely inquired if there was a room available. I do this often and when there is not, no problem. I know I'm in early. However the young gentleman who I spoke with replied with a slightly attitude-filled "This is way too early for you to have a room available." Fortunately a young lady took over from him. I left my luggage with her and all was good. I returned at 1:30 and she was still there and excellent.

The hotel needs work. I was told by someone in the area it has recently been refurbished. Well only slightly if that is true. There are lots of detail problems that need attending to. The room doors have holes in them from where hardware used to be, only painted over, the holes still show. There are mold stains on the grout in my room. The bottom of the bathroom door shows signs of water damage and warping that was only painted over. A vacuum cleaner was left in one of the (very slow to get) elevators one day while there was grass all over the lobby at the same time. Weird. The man who was cleaning non-occupied rooms later at night one evening had the remains of a six pack of Bud Light on his cleaning cart and an open beer. His cart remained in the hallway much of the evening.

All in all it wasn't a terrible stay. Just definitely not up to the Hilton/Doubletree standards that I'm accustomed to.

Additionally there is lots of parking lot or something construction going on around the entrance to the hotel. The rude construction workers doing this block different parts of the driveways so you don't know where to go and then are nasty because you are confused. Real jerks.

1  Thank Michael C

Thank you for choosing our property while you were in Portland, Maine. I appreciate you taking the time to evaluate us on what we do well and more importantly what we need to improve on.

You certainly bring up some very valid points, especially in the area of training our staff. When you arrived to check in on the day you did, I know that the hotel was sold out the night prior. Regardless of if we could get you into your room or not at the time, the hotel should certainly have a better response.

I will also share your feedback regarding the construction crew with our ownership. While they have a job to do, our guests our most important. There should be no reason for anyone with the crew to be rude or act like a "jerk" as you mentioned. This I can assure you will be addressed immediately.

Thank you again for staying with us. Please think of our hotel again in the future.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Their restaurant offers decent choices of food.I am a vegan and had no problem. I had Steel cut Oats with fruit- was great! Orderd a tasty veggie plate for dinner. Had a nice bar next to restaurant and a Starbucks.. and a Chipolte Grille next door.Who could ask for any more !

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Nick S, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about our property from your last visit. I will be sure to pass along your feedback to our food and beverage team. Please think of us again the next time you are in the Portland area.

Best Regards,

Portland Marriott at Sable Oaks
#6 of 13 in South Portland
Hilton Garden Inn Portland Airport
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland? Share your experiences!