“Pleasant stay but with slight hicups!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in South Portland
Deefielf, United States
“Pleasant stay but with slight hicups!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

Great location, central to all of our needs. Great across the street from the mall. Room was clean, staff was very polite. There were a couple of things that were a disappointment, one thing is out of hotels control but still frustrating. Lost power one afternoon, couple people in our group had their tires slashed and the parking lot was rough due to the construction.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Nick S, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts from your most recent visit with us. We always love having the group that you were a part of stay with our property!

I appreciate you sharing your concerns as well. While you are correct that for the most part these concerns are out of the hotels control, it is nice to hear them, and find out what we can do better.

Unfortunately when a vehicle is parked anywhere, there is the possibility of vandalism. This than becomes an issue for the police, but it is a tough situation for everyone involved. The hotel made it a point to do perimeter security sweeps during the next evening, just to see if we could catch anything.

As for the parking lot, we will be finishing that in the spring. The tough winter has certainly made an impact on everything, but hopefully spring will be here soon! Once warmer weather arrives, there are plans to re-pave the entire parking lot and re-landscape the entire front entrance.

Thank you again for staying with us. Hopefully we will see you someday soon!

Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Belfast, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

Could not be more pleased with the friendly service and warm, genuine care the service team had whether it was at the front desk or with the room attendants. Comforting accommodations with even more friendly people working that will bring me back!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Nick S, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Thank you for choosing our property while you were in the Portland area. Your feedback is truly the impression that we are looking to leave on our guests. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed everything while you were here. You mentioned that you will be back. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly!

Amesbury, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

I visited this past weekend for the second time with my husband as he was attending a dart tournament that is held annually at the hotel. While the room was nice (but small) and my stay wasn't terrible, there were several things that I had issues with. On Friday evening when we arrived at the hotel, we parked our car in one of the back parking lots. The next morning I was going to do some shopping and discovered that my car was completely blocked in by other vehicles. The parking lot had been improperly plowed and a huge snowbank was actually blocking the entrance to the parking lot. When we had parked there in the evening we didn't notice this as there were plenty of vacant spots open. Naturally, I informed management and was told that my only option was to go outside and write down all of the other vehicles license plates so that the guests would be tracked down to move their cars. As a paying guest I really don't think that this should have been my responsibility, especially as I had already traveled back up to my room at that point and it was a huge inconvenience. I ended up being trapped in the hotel for several hours before I was able to get my car out. I wouldn't say that any of the staff were overly friendly or went out of their way to make me feel welcome there. It was kind of the opposite, unfortunately. We did order room service for breakfast and my order was wrong. The food was OK, but overpriced for what it was. Although, had my order been correct I may have been able to give a better review (I do remember it being much better during my first stay at Double Tree). My room was never cleaned by housekeeping when I went out for the day on Saturday (after I was able to get my car out) but it may have been because housekeeping only makes their rounds in the early mornings, maybe? The final thing that really bothered me was that on Sunday I had planned to do a late checkout as my husband would be playing in several events for most of the day and I wanted to be able to relax. In the brochure it clearly stated that "check out time was noon, but if the guests needed more time then they could call and easily make arrangements." Well, when I called them I was informed that they weren't doing any more late check outs because they had done too many already. Overall, my first stay wasn't the greatest and my second stay was way worse so I'm really hoping to avoid this place next time and find a place where the employees actually value their guests. Oh, I also requested a mini fridge to be sent to my room and it never was! I guess I'll have to wait and see if they charge me for it or not :/

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Nick S, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your most recent trip to our property. While the content of your feedback is difficult to hear, I appreciate you letting us know, so we can know where to improve.

I'd like to apologize for the total experience that you had with our hotel, and I assure you it isn't a depiction of who we truly are.

To start, we did unfortunately have a lot of parking issues this past weekend. The group you were associated with covered 90-95% of our parking lot, and there were a lot of people that didn't park correctly, which caused issues for others. With the limited space and knowing that the group had most of the parking, the only thing the hotel could do was to have the group make announcements for people to move their cars. This should have been taken upon by the hotel to do, and should not have fallen on your shoulders. With that said though, the hotel could only hope that the message was received by other members of your group and that they acted accordingly. Later in the afternoon the hotel even had difficulty with getting a tow truck into these areas, because there were so many cars.

Lastly, I will make sure that I follow up with your feedback on the restaurant and with housekeeping. Our housekeeping staff does service all throughout the day, but as expected with the group that you were with a lot of guests had "do not disturb" signs up throughout their stay. When this is removed (if later in the day), it is always an extra help when the guest lets the front desk know that they have removed it.

Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss anything further. Once again, I truly appreciate you taking the time to let me know how everything went.

Warmest Regards,

Portland, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

It was an overall great experience the staff is WONDERFUL and the hotel is so clean they offer amazing packages and GREAT room service and breakfast. Your room and the amenities and view are absolutely stunning i would GLADLY go back there again and again!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for staying with our property during your trip to Portland, Maine. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit while you were at the property. Feel free to reach out to me directly the next time you are in the area!

Warm Regards,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

The staff is great rooms are clean and comfortable. We were across from ice machine. It was very noisy. They should put something in front of the machine to absorb the noise. Otherwise had a good time. We have stayed at this hotel for many years. Its great if you are in town for shopping and is close to airport. Has some restaurants next to hotel in walking distance.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Nick S, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with our property while you are in the Portland area. It is very nice to hear that you continue to stay with us and that you enjoy our service and amenities! I will be sure to pass along all of your feedback to our management team. Please visit us again soon!

Best Regards,

East Dixfield, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

Overall the experience was very good. Heating system was better this year than in years past when it was constantly shutting on and off for no apparent reason. Room rate could have been better with such a large group of people attending the conference.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for sharing your thoughts from your most recent visit to our property. I'm happy to hear that overall the conference was a success; we certainly love to have your group every February! I will be sure to pass along all of your feedback to our management team as well. We will certainly review our rate structure for next year’s event!

Biddeford, Maine, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

My wife and I wanted to enjoy valentines day at The hilton doubletree in south portland maine. Check in was fine(no warm cookie). The room seemed great, the valentine wine and strawberries were ok. We ate dinner at the in house restaurant, the meal was mediocre. After relaxing for a while in our room we went to the pool which was messy and cold, the water and the pool room( wet towels every where and some construction debris). We left the pool to take a hot shower in our "executive" room to find mold on the shower tiles and the drain plugged( ankle deep water in tub). We ordered cake from room service because my room key card would not open the executive lounge where we should have been able to get snacks and drinks. In the morning we got our complimentary breakfast(card left in room to put on door knob for room service, part of the valentine package) only to find that the $53.00 breakfast was not part of the package if ordered in room. Did not shower or take advantage of the late check out(part of the package). On checking out the clerk said they would not bill me for breakfast and that they could have fixed the shower drain( like we wanted a plumber to join us in our executive room for valentines day). When I checked in I paid with a credit card and paid for meals with a different card. The room was billed and is on hold with the first card($182.52), the second card was also billed for the room and meals($315.04). Four days later I still have both charges pending and have $497.56 tied up for what has become a terrible experience at this hotel. I really expected more from the Hilton Brand.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for choosing to stay with our property during Valentine’s Day weekend. I can't express enough my sincere apologies for the experience that you had. I will be passing along your entire feedback to our management team, so that we can improve upon the things that you mentioned.
To follow up on a few things, I did want to add:
Breakfast is included in the package that you received. In fact you received breakfast coupons with the package. On our breakfast coupons it does state that they are valid for the restaurant only. When you decided to get room service, it was charged to the bill. In good faith the hotel did adjust off this charge, even though the coupons stated what they are valid for.

It is truly unfortunate what happened with your shower. The desk agent was only mentioning that we have the ability to fix things, when we know about them. There are times where things get missed, but we want to react to them well. In the future, even when you leave the guest room you can let us know what the issue is and we will resolve it!

Lastly, when you arrived you gave us a card that you originally wanted to use. Upon check in, when a card is given it will authorize for room and tax. When you check out and give us a different credit card, it charges your card at that time. The authorization (or pending transaction) will still stay on the original credit card you provided. Your bank releases this back to your card, but there is a period of time before this happens.

I do appreciate you staying with us and sharing your concerns. I truly hope that with everything clearer, you may decide to stay with us again.

Warmest Regards,

Portland Marriott at Sable Oaks
#4 of 12 in South Portland
The Westin Portland Harborview
Hilton Garden Inn Portland Airport

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland? Share your experiences!