“Double Tree Less than Expected”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in South Portland
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Usually Double Tree is a cut above the rest. The room rate was $279 plus taxes. We have stayed in a beautiful Double Tree in Key West and I booked this hotel expecting the same quality. It was an older hotel built in the 70's and we upgraded to Executive Floor with our points expecting something great. As soon as we entered the room my husband said it smelt like old smoke. But we unpacked and went out for dinner. When we came back I could notice the smell as well. The room was small and the bathroom tiny. The building is circular so the bathroom is just inside the door so very small. The lighting is poor there is no light in the bath tub area so with curtain drawn was dark. The vanity was small and definitely only room for one at a time. When I went to the desk clerk in the morning he was pleasant and offered a free breakfast. When I indicated we had upgraded to Executive level and had continental breakfast included in the executive lounge he realized. Then he offered a discount of the room and indicated to confirm with the day manger. I did get the $50 credit towards our two night stay but really feel the quality is not up to the Double Tree standard. Location for our driving route was good but I would not stay there again. Staff were courteous and the room was clean but the Executive offer indicated upgraded amenities in the room. We had thicker towels and robes/slippers which we did not use. Wet bar in write up there was non in room only fridge and microwave.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SweetSydneyToronto
Nick S, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

I'd like to start by offering my sincere apologies for the issues that you had with your guestroom. While some things we as the hotel can't change (the location, the age/structure of the building), there are some things that we can improve on. I will be sharing your feedback with our management team to see what we can do better!

I'd also like to add that it is very difficult to compare properties, especially in different markets. Our property has undergone and continues to undergo extensive renovations. Other properties may be newer, have different locations and different price ranges. This time of year, the summer season happens to be the high season for Maine. Room rates at our property and at others are reflective of the season. The guestrooms on our Executive level do include additional amenities, but it is our suites that include a wet bar. We do have a suite on our Executive level, so perhaps this is the room type you were looking at.

Thank you again for staying with our property and sharing your feedback.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Nice hotel in a great location right off highway and right across the street from a large mall. There is a Chipotle, Cracker Barrel and Starbucks right in the hotel parking lot! Rooms are well appointed and very clean. Staff is friendly and nice.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about our hotel from your recent visit with us. I'll be certain to share your feedback with our entire team here! I look forward to seeing you again someday soon!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 29 July 2014

First off: the hotel is expensive. I expected something like a 4 start environment for that price - well, it's not. Staff is super friendly, rooms are clean, no complaints. Feels somewhat "old-school" though, just nothing outstanding - and breakfast should be included. Make sure to get a room as high up in the two small "towers" as you can.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Nick S, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay with our property. While it sounds like everything was good, it also sounds like things would have been a little better had the rate been lower. I'd also like to let you know that our hotel does offer a breakfast package, but breakfast included with all guestrooms is something that the brand has not moved forward with yet. In addition our rate is always competitively priced with the rest of the market, although during peak summer months such as July and August these prices can be much higher than during the off season months.

Rates change frequently, and there are lower rates for advance purchase reservations as well. With this knowledge, hopefully you will decide to come see us again someday soon!

Thank you again for choosing our property.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Good location from 95 and Mall across the street but this hotel isn't up to Hilton standard. Staff were nice but unprofessional. The whole place needed more management. I entered my room and immediately banged my ankle off the bed frame. The king bed was pushed back and bed frame sticking out but hidden by bed skirt! So , I was off to a great start with a sore ankle! Front desk gave me drink coupons to compensate and bartender told me that they didn't cover my mixed drink! Couldn't make this stuff up! My ankle was huge all weekend! No one at front desk mentioned the executive suite and I found by accident. Coffee was dreadful and Starbucks next door must appreciate the business! I would not stay at this hotel again and I am a loyal Hilton customer.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

First and foremost I wanted to thank you for your loyalty to the Hilton brand. I always appreciate hearing feedback from our loyal Hilton Honors members! I truly apologize for the issues that occurred during your visit. I will certainly be sharing this feedback with our evening manager, as not only was this manager on during your stay, but we also had our Front Desk Supervisor on. In any case, I'm sorry to hear that neither of them was able to assist you during your stay.

While I can completely understand your frustration, I do hope that you will decide to give us another opportunity. If you do, please feel free to reach out to me directly.

All the best,

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Typically I don't enjoy staying at old hotel properties. The Doubletree in Portland has made it work however, and I had a great stay. The rooms at this property are located in two circular towers, so the inside walls spread apart as you move further from the center, which is where the elevators and stairwells are. It is reminiscent of a 1960s design, although I'm not sure when this hotel was originally built. Although the age of the property shows in some of the details, including the antique-looking door latches, the hotel has done a good job with renovations to keep things fresh and comfortable. For Hhonors members, there is a nice executive lounge offering complimentary breakfast and evening snacks. Parking was easy and convenient. The room I had was large and clean. The bed was comfortable, and internet speed was good. The elevators were quick, unlike some hotels that seem to take 10 minutes to travel three levels. The a/c worked well and kept the room cool during my stay. I had no issues with my stay.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for choosing our property during your trip to Portland Maine. It is nice to hear that you ended up with us, even though you typically don't stay at older hotels. While yes our hotel is older than some others, we have done extensive renovations as you mentioned. We are continuing to do more as well. Focusing on the guest experience and hotel condition is very important to our owner and our management team.

I hope the next time you are in the Portland area; you will come and visit us again! Perhaps the next time you are with us, even more changes will have come!

Reviewed 27 July 2014

The Double Tree in South Portland is a nice place to stay for business, It is across from the Maine Mall. Close to the highways. The rooms are clean, the best room are on the Hilton Honors floor's 7 and 8. The lounge is very nice, but the food verity is very limited, but it serves a purpose for water or soda, Some fruit and some hot food, again nothing great but good if you are in a pinch. The workout facilities are limited, but they machines are in good shape. The pool does not have a hot tub and the ware was cool and of course lots of kids, but it's summer time.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding our property. I'm happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your visit with us. Yes we do have a one of a kind Executive Lounge for all of our Gold and Diamond members as well as guests who book that level. The room includes Hors D'oeuvres in the evening as well as a breakfast in the morning. While it isn't meant to be a full dining experience, it is something that guests use to "grab and go". We are always evolving our menu of what we put in there as well, so please visit us again soon to check it out!

Thank you again for staying with our property.

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Great location, not bad price and nice hotel room. I felt the hotel offered some nice amenities, however, we didn't use them since we stayed out to tour the town in our stay. Also, for as nice as the hotel was, it was pet friendly, which was outstanding. It's hard to find nice hotels that accept dogs, this was a huge plus. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Girllovestraveling

Thank you for choosing to stay with our property while you were in the Portland area. It is nice to hear that you and your family (including your pets!) enjoyed the visit. Remember we are a pet friendly hotel, and we don't charge a fee for them either! Come and see us again soon!

Best,

#5 of 13 in South Portland
Ramada Plaza Portland
Ramada Plaza Portland
#15 of 20 in Portland

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland? Share your experiences!