“Good value, good location”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in South Portland
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Stayed here for a long weekend. Suite was a great size, very clean. Price was great, and parking was free, which was not the case for most of the hotels in downtown Portland. Very close to airport but we did not have any issues w/ noise at all. This hotel was in a great location- easy on/ off I -95 and 295, 10 minutes into Old Port, 10 minutes to the lighthouses, less than 1/2 hr to Freeport ( LL Bean outlet ) . Only complaint was that the tv was a little small and located in an odd place in suite ( in between seating area and bedroom ), but we weren't there to watch tv! Would stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 28 January 2014

When I travel I always stay at this Holiday Inn location. The location is convenient to Target and the mall for any last minute vacation shopping. The shuttle to the airport is punctual and the drivers are great. Their park & fly rates is one of the best in the area and it is a quality hotel with nice people and great accommodations.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We have stayed here many times and again 2 weeks ago. We get great service, a nice breakfast and we love the suite we always get. They allow us to leave our car there and shuttle us to and from the airport as part of their Park and Stay package. We had a cancelled flight and had to take a train to Portland from Boston and they were so generous to pick us up at the train station even though they don't usually do that.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite with 2 double beds. It is a large room!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank RJF549
Reviewed 2 January 2014

The room was booked thru a 3rd party one month in advance of our stay - my confirmation came back stating that I would be staying in a handicap room of which, we did not need, but this is typical of this kind of booking when you don't book directly with the hotel's website.

Upon our arrival, I did state to the front desk gal that we did not require a handicap room and would prefer an upper floor (we are light sleepers). Our request was granted - to the 5th floor we went (there are 6 floors to this hotel). Walking down the hallway, we noticed immediately that our room was adjacent to a room that was partaking very early in their new years festivities - along with the room directly across the hall. I didn't hesitate to turn around and head back downstairs to inform the front desk gal. A fella who was sitting down in the lobby asked me what rooms were the party folks in - I told him, and he said he was going to take care of it - he was in the elevator before I had my new room keys. In the meantime, our door keys were exchanged for a room on the 6th floor - it seemed like this floor was unused - we had an end room.

The room was quiet (and very roomy) - there didn't appear to be much activity on the 6th floor so this was a good fit for us. Once we settled-in and called it a night around 10pm, it was unanimous - we both groaned to the discomfort and sagging of our king mattress. I felt like the bed was not only on an angle leaning down towards the headboard, it also sagged from side to side. I felt like I was sleeping in a hole - my wife said that she had a very restless night.

Breakfast was good and caffeine was definitely needed - plenty of healthy and non-healthy choices - the flow of the people at the breakfast bar were courteous. When various items ran low or out, they were quickly replenished - the young gal that took care of the breakfast needs seemed to be on top of the many guest's breakfast needs. I would suggest though, that the breakfast egg patty thingies that this hotel has get exchanged for something else - quite nasty especially when they are cold.

Aside from the bed in need of a mattress replacement, we enjoyed our stay. The hotel and grounds are in great shape and well maintained; staff is very friendly and accommodating.

Room Tip: If you are indeed a light sleeper and you feel that the hotel is not fully booked, ask for an upper...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Dear Dave B,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are so pleased you liked the friendliness of our staff. Please allow us to apologize for the experience you had with your room accommodations and our breakfast selections was less than satisfactory. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I am a Holiday Inn brand loyalist. This is my brand of choice when I travel, though I do stay at other brands when I have to. I was both pleased and discouraged with my stay in South Portland, Maine. This particular hotel used to be a Marriott hotel because they still have the posters hanging in the hallway down near the pool. While I am at this point, I will talk about this. They have a lovely pool and full fitness center with weights and all lots of equipment and room for a Holiday Inn. The pool was very appealing until you went in. The heat was set for 80 of better making it hard for anyone to hang out on the deck. The water was very cool do to the temp of the air. That is a minor adjustment. We stayed in room 204 on the second floor and when we came off the elevator the rug has started bunch up causing a trip hazard. The best part of the room was the sound proofing. We had a 2 double suit. When you walk in the room has a odd lay out. There is a kitchenette to one side and a couch to the other. There is also a desk in this area. The wall nest to the kitchenette was very dirty. In the second half of the room was two tiny doubles. These beds have seen better days. Not the typical beds you find at the more modern Holiday Inn. The sink is between the bathroom and beautiful built in wooden wardrobe. The problem is when you come out of the bath to get ready you wake everyone up. The bathroom was disgusting mold everywhere they removed a light over the shower and through a halfhearted patch up. The beds do not sit on a metal box to keep items from going under the beds and you can easily tell house keeping does not even bother. The room was a big disappointment. The breakfast was the standard express spread that never disappoints for healthy to hearty. This hotel can be a gem if they remodel and clean. It is so close to the Mall of Maine and interstate 95.

Room Tip: Get the biggest bed you can the doubles are like sleeping on a twin>
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear Bard J,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good points of your stay.It was unfortunate to see your stay was not as comfortable as it could have been due to the unusual condition of the room you received. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world class service to our guests.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

I stay here almost every time I visit my hometown in Maine. The motel has a huge lobby and a good free breakfast. Remember that when they say your internet reservation is non refundable they mean it. I made a two day reservation a month ago and asked if I could transfer my second day at the Holiday Inn at Manchester Airport, where I had to catch a ride home. There was snow in the forecast and I wanted to avoid a 2 hour trip. I would be transporting my mother. I asked at 3 different levels and all refused, even though I would not be canceling just transferring. Something about how this H.I. was not affiliated w/ the one in Manchester.

Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 7 December 2013

This is my second stay at this hotel and it's always great. The rooms are big, we had 2 doubles and a pull out couch. Fridge, coffee maker and microwave and convenient. There is a great breakfast too. This hotel is close to shopping, restaurants, airport and I95 and 295, but since it's up on a hill in a office park, very quiet and out of the way.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine
Comfort Inn Airport
Comfort Inn Airport
#7 of 13 in South Portland

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland? Share your experiences!