“Large, comfortable room”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in South Portland
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel is convenient to many restaurants and a short drive to the airport. It was perfect for one night before my flight went out the next morning. The room was large, clean and comfortable. It had a small kitchenette, a living area with a couch and a bedroom and bathroom. The only issue was the parking, it was very full and they almost ran out of spaces. Due to the construction, you had a longish walk to get into the hotel as there was no back entrance.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Megan49022

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express room 106 for three days on a shopping trip to South Portland. The hotel is conveniently located with easy access to all the stores. I booked the hotel under the impression that I was giving a non refundable deposit for 1/2 the first night but when I got there they took the entire first nights room as a deposit. Not a big deal but it seems that the central booking and the hotel staff are not on the same page. The room was a little run down .... the doorknob was broken, the safety lock was broken and pictures were missing from the wall. Construction is going on in the back of the hotel we we were woken up every morning at 7am with the work going on outside. However, the rooms are perfect for several adults travelling together and have two double beds, a sofa bed and a roll away cot will also fit into the room easily! The room is large and comfortable and conveniently located so I would definitely return. Ask for a room facing the front of the hotel away from the construction. Be prepared that the central booking non refundable deposits that are quoted to you may be different when you arrive at the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel are quieter as construction is going on at the back of the hotel.
1  Thank Jane A
Reviewed 17 May 2014

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel in May 2014. I've read some other reviews about this hotel before writing mine just to make sure that I wasn't the only one disappointed. There was hair (long and short) in the tub, on the walls, and on the shower curtain. It was disturbing. Before I checked in, while standing at the check-in desk, I asked the girl working the desk, if there was Bacon in the breakfast. Who doesn't love bacon for breakfast? She assured me there was so we stayed. Well, the next morning there was no Bacon. When I asked about it, they said they "alternate days" for Bacon. So, the guests that stayed the day before me got the Bacon but I didn't because I stayed on the "alternate day" but paid the same rate?? Most travelers stay one night. It'd be nice if every Holiday Inn Express had the SAME breakfast every day for ALL guests. There were sausages but I don't eat sausages. So, please change your policy to offer it every day. Every day you have new guests. Shouldn't we all get Bacon? This may seem like a small thing to some, but the point is .....why offer it on alternate days when the majority of guests stay just one night? Between the girl promising me there was Bacon and the hairs in the tub/shower, I will never stay at this hotel again. FYI: Choose a room on the front of the Hotel. The garbage guys empty the dumpsters out back at 3am. It's very startling to wake up to a loud banging noise at 3am (like I did).

2  Thank CanadianGirl66
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear CanadianGirl66,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. I appreciate that you have chosen our hotel for your recent stay.

I am sorry to hear that we haven failed to meet your expectations regarding our rooms and breakfast. Your comments are very important to us for this will help us with our goal to continuously improve on our service. I have taken note of your concern and forwarded it our hotel management so we can serve you better in the future.

I hope we have the chance to give you the best hotel experience on your next stay.

Faith R

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I really enjoy this hotel, great service, helpful and friendly staff, accommodating.
The rooms are roomy and comfortable--- love, love, love the suites!
Beds very comfortable.
Suite has microwave and refrigerator and stocked with some dishes.
Very close to Mall, and not far from waterfront and Old Port!

Room Tip: Had a pool which we very much enjoyed. Also work out room. Decent breakfast and plenty and good ho...
1  Thank Linnea M
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I stayed at this hotel 3-27-14 thru 04-01-14 and it was a total disappointment. My room was on the 6th floor and upon getting off the elevator the smell hit me in the face. I was just nasty. Hoping once I got into the room it would get better, but it only got worse from there. The room was dated and musty as well. I decided to make the best of it, seeing that I was not going to spend anytime in this room except for sleeping and showering purposes. I just attributed it to being a Hotwire room, as I did book it thru Hotwire. Well, I actually slept there for 3 out of the 5 nights, but on the 4th night I couldn't take it anymore. I called down to the front desk to tell them of the musty smell and other issues and before I could finish telling him of my concerns, there was somebody at my door ready to help move me. They put me in a room on the 4th floor, the furniture was still frayed on the corners, but I was finally able to breath must free. On my last night as usual, a bill was slipped under the door. Not having ordered any services, and having pre-paid thru Hotwire, I was surprised to see they gave me a bill for 14 dollars and some change. At that point, I was just done with them, called Hotwire and they straightened it out with them. When I mentioned it to the clerk at the desk, she just shrugged it off. Overall, I was very disappointed with this stay and will never here again.

Room Tip: Stay off the 6th floor!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank sandra770
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Dear sandra770,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We highly value views, opinions and feedback from our guests, as this allows us to constantly improve the service we provide.

I am disappointed to hear that your stay with us was not what you expected. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you had with the room condition particularly with the smell and we are truly sorry for the dissatisfaction you had with our level of service.

Your comments are being shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. To better assist you on your next stay, please do not hesitate to approach the Manager on Duty.

Dhan M

Reviewed 3 April 2014

The first room i checked into had a broken lamp and i could hear every word of the family next door. So, they graciously moved me to another room that really was no better. The layout of the both rooms was horrible. The bathroom was practically in the bed with me. The TV was weirdly floating on a piece of furniture awkwardly in small space between the combo bed/bathroom and the living/kitchen. It was LOUD. I could hear next door AND above me probably because the bathroom above me was right over the sleeping area.

The walls needed a good scrub and there was a beer bottle cap on the floor. That just makes you think they aren't cleaning very thoroughly.

I'm really not picky, but i was quite surprised at how rundown this place felt.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank marisapNYC
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

Dear marisapNYC,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and superior accommodations. It seems that we were not able to execute an exemplary hotel stay experience with regard to the noise and conditions of your room. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Rest assured that this isn't reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves in. We take all reviews very seriously and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Lera P

Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

We were here for 1 night. Service was good, rooms were clean. Beds were comfy. Had a good night sleep. I was actually surprised at the size of the suite with 2 double beds. A lot larger than expected. A few small issues. No info book in the room. Not a huge deal, but it's nice to look at what hotel and area have to offer. Breakfast was sub par. They had great cinnamon buns like always, but the fruit looked like it was there for quite some time. It was by no means fresh or edible. The eggs looked like prison food. I made due with a bagel and cream cheese. They are renovating now, so I'm sure that was the cause, but the windows were leaking during a heavy rain storm. I don't think we'd return. I'd spring for the one in the old port. They have a hot tub and a nicer pool area.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
DoubleTree by Hilton Portland, Me
Comfort Inn Airport
Comfort Inn Airport
#6 of 13 in South Portland

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland? Share your experiences!