“Average”

Hampton Inn Portland Airport
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in South Portland
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The staff was nice and friendly - rooms were average- breakfast was good. The pool was ok - wasn't bad but wasn't spectacular. Location was easy to find and confidently located near the mall.
I was a bit disappointed to find out that I could not accumulate Hilton points bc I booked through Expedia - that's a Hilton issue

Reviewed 25 May 2013

I booked this hotel through AARP/Expedia and was extremely pleased. I requested a handicapped accessible room and one where no pets had stayed. The minute I checked in, the person on the desk said, "Oh, yes, your room is handicapped accessible and is on the 4th floor where no pets have stayed." She confirmed that without my even asking.

We stayed for two nights and found the room spacious, and very comfortable. The hotel itself is very nicely maintained. What impressed us the most was the friendly help and service we received at the front desk.

We had flown into Boston and driven to South Portland. By the time we arrived, we were tired. After resting awhile, we stopped to ask about non-chain restaurants nearby where we might have lobster or seafood. We were given a suggestion that worked out perfectly for us.

Several times the next day we inquired about directions to Portland and to a different restaurant in South Portland and each time the desk person highlighted the route on a map and give us clear directions. The hotel is in a perfect location to go to shops, mall and restaurants in 5-10 minutes. Let me add that we are both in our 70s and both have some mobility issues. After going into Portland and seeing the parking situation and the rough sidewalks and streets, I was even more pleased that we had chosen to stay in South Portland. We would not have handled a downtown Portland location well at all.

We did have breakfast there the first morning. It was adequate and convenient. They served until 10:00 which seemed more reasonable that some hotels that stop serving at 9:00, The second morning we went to the Cracker Barrel nearby because we had a long day of driving and flying ahead of us.

To wrap it up, I was in the elevator with the manager on the morning we were leaving. He asked about our stay. I was happy to tell him how pleased we'd been with the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. If I were returning to the area, I would stay there again.

Room Tip: If you have special needs, be sure to request what you need and I"m sure they will meet your ne...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DeltaJane
Reviewed 23 May 2013

I was expecting a much nicer facility. I would rate this a 2 star at best. The room was small and worn. It was a non smoking room but I could smell cigarette smoke and toast the whole time I was there. I didn't really feel comfortable given the stained chairs and worn state of the room.

Room Tip: don't stay in room 103, I think it is vented near the smoking section outside
Reviewed 22 May 2013

We stayed for 2 nights and enjoyed every minute. The free breakfast was best have ever had at a hotel. Even had eggs and bacon and everything was hot and fresh. The ladies in charge of breakfast were pleasant and helpful and one of the lady's even stopped to chat with me when she saw I was leaving to go home and wished me a safe trip.
Made use of the pool and fitness room while there and both areas were super nice and clean. Every person from when I called for reservations and checked in was very nice. Also had my dog with me and felt like they didn't even mind a dog on the premises. One guy who worked there even nicknamed my dog and thought she was cute. Was treated very well and if I head back to Portland will definitely stay there again:)

Room Tip: I had a dog so asked for the first level.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Located in front of the Maine Mall, with very friendly service. Free hot and cold good breakfast. I am a bus tour organizer, and it is my third time booking approx, 20 rooms every time at this hotel. we where please every time.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 May 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at this hotel many times with no problems. It's located right next to the Maine Mall and right off of I295. It's only a few mins drive to the Old Port in Portland. I arrived early around 2 and the front desk staff worked hard to get me into my room. The front desk staff is always helpful and extremely pleasant.

• Stayed: May 2013
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 May 2013

We arrived at your wonderful hotel on April 30th to attend a concert by one of my daughters favourite bands, at the State Theatre. The front desk staff were friendly,attentive and speedy and the manager came right over to speak with us which was a nice welcoming touch! We found the overall atmosphere and quality and cleanliness of the hotel to be excellent. The only 2 things that could have made it a touch better for us, which I already mentioned to the manager in the morning, was that next time we'd request a room facing the mall and not right beside the highway, and also the cot that we used for the 5th person was like sleeping on a hard hospital gurney with a slope in the middle. I requested several more blankets to add cushioning, put towels under it to bring up the droopy center and then added one of the beds duvets folded in 4 to complete the comfort level. It was not a pretty sight, so I, as the good mom, took the cot. I survived, and it's not any fault of the hotel or it's fabulous staff... just the nature of the bed. Perhaps if there's money in the budget sometime for upgrades, you might invest in a good cot mattress? I would definitely stay at this hotel again. The last thing I want to say is that the breakfast and morning staff were wonderful. I have Celiac's disease and cannot eat any gluten, which makes breakfast time on vacation a real hassle, but you had a few options like fresh fruit, fruit cocktail and yogourt that I could have without worry. I always have to bring my own, so this was a nice start to my day! The family all raved about the eggs as well. Great job! Thanks for the lovely stay! Elisa Dickinson

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Portland
Hilton Garden Inn Portland Airport
Comfort Inn Airport
Comfort Inn Airport
#6 of 13 in South Portland

Been to Hampton Inn Portland Airport? Share your experiences!