“Our favorite campground”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Thomaston
Lobster Buoy Campsites
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We have stayed at Lobster Buoy campgrounds several times. I am a little sad we didn't make it this year. We camped on the shore of Watermans beach. We watched Lobster boats with our morning coffee.We watched the sunrise behind the Islands. If you don't like real camping this may not be the place for you.Maybe you should go to a bed and breakfast. But for us this is one of the most beautiful places on earth.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Michael H

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Got lucky this year, site 12 opened up so we were able to be right on the ocean. Woke up to the sound of lobstermen pulling their traps. Picked up my kayak, walked down to ocean. Nothing's changed in the 7 years we've been coming here, even the same campers have been here over the 4th every year. My younger kids didn't know what to do with themselves without Wi fi but they eventually got into it. Only complaint would be inability to use the A/C. Had never been this hot before. Some ran theirs, wasn't enough juice to run ours. Fans ran constantly.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank 3girlsdogdad
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Been coming here since my kids were about 5, now they go by themselves. This place is extrememly well run, family operation. If you expect a santitized RV park, go somewhere else. No, you can't come and immediately dump your tanks. The campgrounds are clean and kept natural. You won't hear loud parties or bikers - Eleanor runs a tight ship. I have never had a bad shower, as one visitor from New Jersey apparently had, and you learn to make it quick or use 2 quarters. This keeps the showers from being hogged and if you take a shower later in the morning or in the afternoon the bath house will probably be empty. The best part of coming back again and again, is seeing the same families and seeing the kids grow up. The sounds of the lobster boats in the morning are very MAINE. The local seafood markets can't be beat, and you can even buy your lobster /crab/clams from the back of a truck up on Route 1. I'm not expounding any more , on the loveliness of the simple exquisite camping experience for special people. If you need more entertainment and fancier facilities, go to the B&Bs up the coast. Reading and kayaking and talking around the campfire are the highlights of staying here.

Room Tip: You can get a tent site right on the water, but it gets windy at times. The wooded sites are mor...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Judi M
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I visit Lobster Buoy every time I am in Maine for two reasons: (1) we have friends who stay there for the summer and (2) the place never changes over time. It is the same today as it was 20 years ago. Some may not be ready for this, but the proximity to the ocean makes this campground a very special place. It has a rocky beach, a fair boat launch for kayak or very light fishing boat. The fishing is great and the sun rise over the lobster pots as well as sunsets are incredible. We have a class A motor home and we realize we can't run the air conditioning, nor have sewage hook-ups, nor cable TV. But we get by just fine and make adjustments to the local rules. The campground is small and Elle does not take kindly to loud party people, but families with small children will find a wonderful opportunity to make memories. Building Fairy houses, wading in ice cold water, picking flowers, learning to fish, telling stories around the campfire, or just enjoying family without TV and other interruptions. This one of the few campgrounds on the ocean where tent campers are welcome. This campground is so popular that it can be tough to get a reservation.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank James H
Reviewed 6 August 2012

When my daughter was a kid, she and I traveled on a vacation together every year. We had heard from friends about a magic little place called Lobsterbuoy Camp. We camped there first in about 1990, and returned there every year for years as my daughter grew up. We dug in the sand, let the little shrimp nibble our toes, studied the barnacles on the rocks, visited with our neighboring campers, toured local museums, and skipped around the place hand in hand. It was magic! Eventually she moved on with her own life and I missed a dozen years at Lobsterbuoy. On a whim I returned last year and camped for a week. It is much unchanged and still magic! I don't do a lot of skipping any more, but I dug in the sand, let the little shrimp nibble at my toes, studdied the barnacles on the rocks, and called my daughter every day. It's a marvelous place and I'll be there every year until it's gone or I can't make it. Bring your tent or camper, a roll of quarters for the showers, and I'll see you there. Oh yeah! Elle, makes real homemade donuts every morning at 8:00 AM. Yum!
Ed Rusch
Delaware, OH

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
8  Thank Ed R
Reviewed 13 October 2011

This is very basic lawn camping as close to the ocean as you can get. I was there for sea kayaking, and you can put in easily at the campsite. One of the days we woke up on a foggy morning with a solid wall of fog beginning right at the edge of the water. It burned off soon enough, but the effect was breathtaking. There is just a fire ring and picnic table with nice grass to pitch your tent on. Loved it, and liked the owner lady very much as well. Would go back anytime. I removed one star for the fire ants, but they only sting if they get trapped against your skin. They are only a nuisance, and would rather have them than all the nasty chemicals it would take to get rid of them.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank jlcwinter
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Location is incredible, just by the water with islands and calm, protected water.
Showers require a quarter for 5 minutes of supposedly hot water. All I could get for 50 cents was terrible bursting noises and hardly enough trickling water for a fly to shower. My wife had the same experience on the other side, so that was not that specific shower. It is really a rip-off to have to pay for basically nothing. Really sad. We were supposed to stay three nights, but stayed only two as we were craving for a good hot shower that we got at a nearby B&B.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Jfaucheux

Been to Lobster Buoy Campsites? Share your experiences!