“Pronounced "the gig"”
Review of Keag General Store

Keag General Store
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Get your breakfast here and go look at the water, and on the way from home, get your beer. This is a nice little place with a Maine vibe and lots of fast food goodies, sandwiches, and grill fare. I frequently have breakfast here and have never had a complaint (and those of you who may be familiar with my other reviews know that I'm a complainer). Just looking' out for my peeps..

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This little general store has a deli counter and some inside seating. Better are the picnic tables and wharf overlooking the harbor. I bring my 90+ mother here where we sit in the car looking at the view and eat crabmeat on whole wheat toast. The rolls are packed with crab.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Terrible, overpriced lobster roll on a hamburger bun. Was told I had to specify standard sub roll after I ordered and paid. Go elsewhere!

2  Thank Christine G
Reviewed 10 February 2014

What connection does the hat have with the store? (Maybe many years ago owner Flora Baum sold lady's hats & handkerchiefs at the store). This photo was recently taken at the historical society located across the street from the store. (Owner of this photo is unknown).
Information about the hat:
It was donated by Shirley Northgraves to the Wessaweskeag Historical Society in 2001. It came from her home at 47 Elm Street, South Thomaston. The hat was made by Rebecca C. (Kirkpatrick) Morgan who operated a hat and dress business in her home. She lived there from 1885 until 1932 when she died. Rebecca survived her husband Lieut. Isaac N. Morgan who served in Company B 1st Marine Regiment and died in 1896. They had two children: Isaac Newton b. 1882 d. 1927 m. Jeanne E. O’Connor; and Minnie Rand Morgan b. 1884 d. 1978 m. Bert Witham. Minnie inherited the house when her mother died. She sold the house to John and Mary Northgraves 5-13-1944, and Mary sold it to John 'Jack' Northgraves and Shirley in 1975. Accession items # 01 - 15

Food and atmosphere alyways enjoyable. CJH

3  Thank Charles H
Reviewed 13 August 2013

My family and I have been coming to Rockland/Owl's Head Maine for over 40 years. Each year, we have a little fun trying to compare all lobster/crab rolls to our favorite spot -- "The Keag" (pronounced gig). NOTHING EVER COMES CLOSE. Period. When I say roll, I mean loads of crab or lobster meat on a huge hamburger roll, not on one of those small, hotdog buns.

You will find most of the patrons are locals and the atmosphere is lacking, but that's not why you are there. If you want a view, the store is located on a corner of South Thomaston that looks onto the water, so you can take your roll and eat near the water. Be sure to try one of their whoopie pies -- they are delicious.