“A fantastic throwback”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Southwest Harbor
The Claremont Hotel
Reviewed 15 October 2013

This hotel makes me feel like I am part of history. The grounds are beautiful, the sitting areas are amazing. Sitting by a fire on a brisk October night is a truly memorable experience at this wonderful inn. I can not wait to go back. Do not expect modern amenities such as TV, and I am thankful for that. Xanthu's restaurant and bar has amazing food, but they do get a bit overwhelmed in the morning. I recommend this as a romantic couples retreat.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Claremont Hotel

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Although I'm a midwesterner, the Claremont would be my idea of the quintessential New England Inn--peaceful, picturesque, quaint and somewhat humble. My wife and I stayed here two nights recently. We've been to Mt. Desert Island in the past and I've found Bar Harbor to be way too busy and touristy for my liking. So I was intrigued by the "quiet side" label of the Southwest Harbor where this inn is located.

Basically, we had no complaints. The complimentary breakfast was a bit sparse but elegant and healthy, our room had a gorgeous view of the water, we made use of the complimentary rowboat to investigate the boats in the harbor, and we liked sitting by the fire during the morning or evening hours. And, yes, it is quiet here. Even when walking the streets to and from the downtown I felt as if we should be using our indoor voices. That's so rare in vacation spots. Nobody used the croquet or tennis courts while we stayed and that was a shame since they were so immaculately kept.

There is a sense of history and tradition staying on this part of the island, from the hotel guest register which looks the same today as it did 70 years ago, to the many lobster boats that ply the waters here probably much as they've done for generations. That added to the ambience. The price was higher than some of the other accommodations I considered before booking, but I thought it was worthwhile. Certainly it was a memorable stay.

A few nitpicks--our room was small and the chairs for sitting were much smaller than chairs I noted in other rooms. The bed almost occupies the whole room, so I guess whatever you're going to do in this room, you're going to do in bed. That's great for honeymooners and those convalescing after a hospital stay, but not so great for someone like myself who is addicted to the internet. By the way, there is no TV or radio in the room but there is wi-fi. Also, the elevator only runs if there is staff there to run it and the stairs even to the second floor, where our room was, is a steep climb if you're mobility challenged. Finally, the best view in our room was when you sat on the john, as our bedroom window was partially blocked by the on-site restaurant. I'll try to attach a couple photos to illustrate. This was room 205.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I tried to find a place just to review the restaurant, Xanthus, but was unsuccessful. We did not stay here overnight.
We drove quite a way to have breakfast at the Claremont. Being told that breakfast is served from 8 to 10 AM, we arrived about 9:15 and were promptly seated where we looked out over the croquet courts to Somes Sound...my goodness what a view from a classic old Maine hotel! A croquet tournament seemed to be in full swing...everyone in all whites and quite serious and formal in their approach to the games. Breakfast was fairly expensive, which we expected. What we didn't expect was to have very skimpy selections of fruit on the 'cold foods' table. Also, the servers, though very pleasant, were anything but prompt. When we asked for toast to go with eggs, the toast (without butter) arrived about the time we finished with the eggs. By the time, several minutes later, when we got the server to PLEASE bring some butter for the toast, naturally it was cold. Yes, these are little things, but they do make a difference in impressions of a place and if one would recommend it to other travelers.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We stayed in cottage C-4 which is a duplex. First night was fine as there was no one else in the adjoining unit. The rest of the weekend was like having a group of strangers staying with us. You can hear every word! For $300/night, the cottage itself was pretty much just a shack that has seen no updating for at least 40 years.

More importantly, our cottage was left open by housekeeping every day they cleaned and we had items stolen from the room. Management said they would check into it but couldn't turn up anything and took no responsibility. His reply to hotel staff leaving the unit unlocked was that we shouldn't have left any valuables in there. Keep anything of value locked in your car! This is no joke.

On the positive side, the climate is cool and the view is gorgeous when you are down by the water (which we weren't) .

Would probably stay closer to or in Bar Harbor on the next trip as every activity we were interested required a 20-30 minute car ride into town.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank CharlesB2112
Claremont04679, General Manager at The Claremont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

First, we sincerely regret our guest’s apparent loss of an item while staying at the Claremont. We will continue our efforts to find the item (although the review states “missing items”, we have only been informed of a single missing item), as we would do for every guest who believes that an item has been lost or stolen. However, in common with most other hotels, we cannot take responsibility for items left in the room; as a result we do offer the use of our safe at the front desk. We are happy to check valuables into this safe that guests wish to protect at any time, and there is someone at the office all day every day who can provide guests with access to their valuables. Furthermore, housekeepers are instructed to lock units after they have finished their housekeeping, and while it is always possible that a mistake can be made, we do not believe that housekeeping practices caused the apparent loss in this instance. Theft of guest’s personal property is not an issue that comes up with any real frequency, as thefts very rarely occur in this area, and even more rarely on our property.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

The hotel is well maintained and water view is picture perfect. There is not TV in the room but have Wi-Fi. Hot water pressure will change to cold when next door using water the same time. The staff is very helpful and informative. There is couple croquet courses and one clay tennis course. Sitting on the porch is really relaxing but watch out mosquitoes. Dinner in Claremont restaurant is excellent but need reservation (1st night without reservation, we walk 5 min. to Beal's Lobster Pier- Pick out lobster yourself, and lobster & corn boiled together is best). The veal chop and halibut cooked to perfect but does not have too much choice on menu (Server says they change menu daily but we see two days have the same menu). Breakfast is included.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2013

The setting on the shores of a picturesque harbor is delightful. The hotel itself is a well maintained 19th century summer place. We were in room 201, which is quite plain. The toilet expressed a short, loud noise periodically as though it was relieving water pressure. I called it to the attention of the front desk, but the noise continued through our 4 night stay. We reduced the bother by keeping the door to the bathroom closed.
The brekfast in the hotel dining room is terrific.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank baldy35
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I spent 2 nights here in mid-August. The weather was lovely and the view was postcard perfect. The staff was welcoming and helpful, giving us a quick tour upon arrival and offered to help with luggage. The inn fit the description on its website and was what I expected of a Maine inn. Dinner in the restaurant was excellent, but it is not a burger-sandwich kind of place, which is clear from the description. A wonderful breakfast is included.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
#10 of 41 in Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor Grand Hotel
Bar Harbor Grand Hotel
#6 of 41 in Bar Harbor

Been to The Claremont Hotel? Share your experiences!