“response to owner re: "not good for breakfast...just coffee"”

Milagro Coffee & Espresso
Cuisines: Cafe, American
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Mountain Lakes, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“response to owner re: "not good for breakfast...just coffee"”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

I certainly did not miss the appeal of Mt. Desert Island and quite appreciate the quaint restaurants and shops that take pride in featuring fresh, local delights! In fact, I sought out Milagro Coffee looking for precisely that...a quaint coffee shop and bakery. I often go to trip advisor for restaurant recommendations and we found many amazing eateries on MDI using this site.

Unfortunately for us, this particular morning you did not have the selection which you stated in your response. Perhaps you were just out of many of your specialties, but for us, that is all we got to experience on our one trip to your shop. Also, unfortunately for us, we did not get a delicious blueberry muffin loaded with blueberries. Ours was dry with very few berries.

The breakfast burrito was clearly not a specialty of yours (as you said, your kitchen is 5X5) and I would not have ordered it myself, but that is what my husband wanted. While it did come on a 12 inch tortilla, that tortilla was nearly empty. It did not have 2 scrambled eggs (maybe half an egg) or 1.5 oz of sausage and it did have a jarred salsa added. To be honest, I would not have expected a great burrito from a bakery (again, my husbands choice :)), but it should have had at least one egg in it. Again, perhaps you had run out of ingredients and this was an exception, but it was our experience.

Trust me, I wanted to love this place. I had "sold" it to my family as the perfect stop on our way out to start our day of hikes. I kept focusing on the good coffee to keep the experience positive and tried to convince my boys that the blueberry muffin was just fine.

I hope that you will take this review as an opportunity to continuously improve as a business. If this was an unfortunate exception, then as a business owner, I would acknowledge, take note, improve where possible and continue to provide outstanding products and service. I would not try to insult or categorize "this traveler" as someone missing the point or looking for McDonalds and supersize portions.

• Visited August 2013

baltimore
“yummy desserts and great coffee”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

This place has wonderful coffee and amazing desserts. I had the gluten free expresso black bean brownie snd it was awesome. Great selection of gliten free goodies!

Visited July 2014
Maine, United States
“A place we call our base”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

My husband and I live on one of the outer islands, and we spend a lot of time on MDI doing errands. We enjoy summer, but we don't always enjoy the influx of tourist crowds. The silver lining is that Milagro is open! Sometimes we need a great cup of coffee, sometimes delicious sustenance, and sometimes we just need a place to get work done between boats. We always try to time our trips and stops--long or short--around a visit to Milagro. Shawn and Brian always greet us like family, and we notice that they do so with everyone, not just regulars like us. Milagro's pastries and bagels are fresh and yummy, ingredients are wholesome, coffee and tea is first rate.The only downside is that Milagro is a bit outside of the center of town if you are on foot. The upside is that if you are in your car, there is easy parking in the rear (and even a convenient bowl of fresh water always full outside the door for your thirsty four legged companion). Thank you, Milagro!

• Visited July 2014
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Great Find...Must Stop!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

If you are venturing to the west side of Mount Desert Island and are passing through Southwest Harbor, be sure to stop in at Milagro Coffee. We had gotten up very early to see the sunrise atop Cadillac Mountain and needed a little pick me up before heading out on the trails for the day. We were just looking for coffee but were pleasantly surprised by the great selection of drinks and treats. We ended up with a Soy Latte, Wild Maine Blueberry Smoothie (...amazing!) and Gluten free pastries!! The staff were Super - we wish we had happened upon this place sooner!!! Will definitely be stopping by again on our next trip to Maine!

Lexington, Kentucky
“Iced Hot Chocolate! Yum!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Stopped in after a hike to the summit of Flying Mountain just to check it out since we had been passing by all week. Made the most amazing discovery - iced hot chocolate. I overheard another patron asking for "that chocolate thing" and upon hearing the description I was sold. So cold and refreshing on a warm day - rich chocolate taste, familiar and not overpowering. Will definitely seek out this spot again. The baked goods looked yummy - maybe next time.

• Visited June 2014