Southwest Harbour was a nice quiet alternative to Bar Harbour and the Inn was down a very quiet side street. Great for sleeping as there was no traffic whizzing by or late night revelers. The Downeaster was suitable for a couple although I would suggest the Inn put a small notation on this room's website listing noting that the ceiling height going up the steps is low for taller people. My husband is 6 2' and hit his head at least 2 or 3 times coming up the steps from the bathroom. I am 5/7" and had no issues. If you don't want to have to go down a flight of stairs at night to use the bathroom, choose another room...it was no issue for us but might be for some.
The breakfast was very good (the pancakes were awesome) and the waiters and inn keeper were attentive. We had no issues with being rushed and the veranda is lovely to start your day on. It is a lovely old home with decor suited to a New England home...homey main area and nice lawn with chairs for late night sitting.
The rooms were cleaned well and we had nice fresh towels. I would suggest that the staff not remove opened soap, shampoo, and lotion from the rooms every day. We would have used only 1 each of these in our 4 day stay if they had been left for us but we ended up using a new one each day. Seemed wasteful and not so eco-friendly. Possibly just add another to the basket on the sink in case a guest runs out?
There was a fridge in the main house for leftovers or drinks of guests....nice for those staying in the main house but rooms like ours with separate entrances around the back might benefit from a small fridge in the room. We simply bought ice daily for our cooler and took that into the room with us.
This was a 40th birthday trip for me and I had never stayed in a B&B...overall, a nice experience that was more homey than a big hotel. Breakfast at a set time was a worry for me as I notoriously sleep late but for me it got me up and going so we could enjoy full days of hiking, biking, and boating which is why we went to Acadia. Gorgeous park and lots to see. I would recommend this Inn to friends seeking a place to stay in Acadia.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Harbour Cottage Inn, a premier bed and breakfast providing very private and elegant lodging in the quiet and historic village of Southwest Harbor, Maine. Our beautiful location is steps away from a picturesque working harbor, near Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor, which makes many great adventures possible. The inn is furnished with museum quality art and antiques, and all of our 11 incredible guest rooms and suites offer cozy, comfortable and well-appointed spaces to relax, refresh and renew. Choose from a 1, 2 or 3 bedroom suite offering relaxing accommodations for 1 couple 2 couples or even a family of 6. Unlike most bed and breakfasts, some of these suites have private living areas, decks and kitchens. Imagine starting your day over a lovingly prepared breakfast on the porch, or in the living room by the fireplace. Explore restaurants, shopping, marinas and lobster wharves near our Mount Desert Island lodging. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda and Ebookers so you can book your The Harbour Cottage Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Harbour Cottage Hotel Southwest Harbor
- The Harbour Cottage Inn Southwest Harbor, Maine