“In a class of its own”

The Harbour Cottage Inn
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This is the dream everyone has of the perfect B&B. Elegant and tastefully decorated rooms, yet everywhere you turn, the feeling is one of comfort. Breakfasts, as you will read from everyone else, are delicious and plentiful. Ideally located, you will learn the ropes of the town and anything you care to know about Mt Desert Island from Don, the host. Hiking, dining, sailing, moseying around - he knows it all and his recommendations never seem to fail. Writing such a positive review is such a pleasure since the visit here was beyond my expectations.

Room Tip: If you are a couple traveling with one child, the Captain's Nook would be perfect. But it is als...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Originally we were going to stay for just 3 nights, however, after only one night, my husband and I decided to extend it for one more day because of this peaceful and soothing place! We really wished we could have stayed longer! This inn is well decorated with great taste!

This B&B was so comfortable that I could have just stayed in the living room reading the books I brought with while listening to the soft piano music in the background and do nothing else!

We also preferred the location of this inn in Southwest Harbor rather than in the touristic and noisy Bar Harbor! After a day of sight seeing, hiking, bird watching, beaches, etc. we felt that we had a "home" to return to wind down! The distance between this inn to Bar Harbor is just a 15 minutes pleasant and scenic drive, and 10 minutes to Acadia National Park!

Don & Javier and all their staff were super cordial and warm! They made us feel that we were old friends all along! We love them! The breakfasts were wonderful and tasty! The plate settings were cheerful! Free Wi-Fi was provided to all guests.

We had the most wonderful and relaxing vacation we ever had. This was because of the "Harbour Cottage Inn"! We hope you will have a chance to experience it just like we did!
We will definitely go back again!
Tony & Trudy

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TonyTrujillo
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here after another hotel reservation fell through, and we were so glad we did. Great value for the lovely rooms and location (walking distance from Southwest Harbor Main St as well as the pier). Don had good recommendations for restaurants and every breakfast was lovely. They also provide fresh coffee throughout the day and baked goods in the afternoons.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Andrea L
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This is our second time staying with Don and Javier at the Harbour Cottage Inn. The experience is fabulous. The Inn is clean, quaint and friendly. The breakfasts were wonderful including homemade baked goods, fresh fruit and a hot entree each morning. The atmosphere is very outgoing and the conversations among the guests were lively, to say the least. :) Don goes out of his way to make sure that his guest are well taken care of. We really enjoyed the quiet location of the Inn. Plenty of activities in Southwest Harbor without the congestion of Bar Harbor.
We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kmo15
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This was the first bed and breakfast I have stayed in, and I absolutely loved it. From the nicely landscaped front yard, to the cute living room area, and the delicious breakfasts...I'm still dreaming about the quiche and french toast! Our room 'The Yawl' was the perfect relaxing space to return to after a full day out and about on the island. The Yawl is on the corner and has to windows which allows a nice sea breeze to go through. I hope to be back soon!

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at the Harbour Cottage Inn this past Memorial Day weekend. It was a chance to re-visit the area where my husband and I fell in love 6 years ago. The Inn was beautifully decorated, had wonderful music, books everywhere (!) to read, and a delicious breakfast every morning. The Inn utilized many methods to be as green as possible which was dear to my heart.

The only faults I had are mostly due to my preferred city way of life. This area is the first where my cell phone (Verizon, can you hear me now?) had 0 bars. This has never happened to me before. Breakfast was sadly only served between 8 and 9 am. I made myself get up since it was so good, but would have liked the option of a later breakfast. I was on vacation after all. The wi-fi was not very steady, so I had trouble accessing necessary emails and watching my favorite TV show. Even though the Inn was intent on a green way of living, there was no place for us to recycle the stuff we needed while traveling.

Overall, however, I highly recommend this place. It was relaxing, delicious, warm and comfortable. Don, one of the innkeepers, was wonderful and knowledgable. I had a great time and will likely return in the future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
DonSouthwestHarbor, Owner at The Harbour Cottage Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

It was indeed a pleasure having these folks staying with us. I remember them well and we had several very nice conversations about the inn and Acadia. I am also thankful for the great review. I just wanted to clarify that Verizon has the most spotty level of cell service on the island in general and that is due to the absence of cell towers near the national park combined with the mountains of Acadia. The other carriers perform well although none are perfect. I was surprised to hear about the internet issue because we have a brand new upgraded high speed modem and 5 access points on the property. The internet has never been faster than it is right now. Perhaps our guests were not logged on to the strongest signal or there may have been issues with the service provider at the time that I was unaware of. I apologize for that. We look forward to their return at a later date.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Charming, tastefully furnished, quiet , well run B&B located in Southwest Harbor Maine. A delicious breakfast is served which includes a hot course as well as home made muffins or biscuits and fresh fruit. Our Bedroom was brightly decorated and comfortable. The location is perfect for hiking, water sports and exploring Mount Desert Island. Good restaurants are walking distance and in particular local restaurant Cafe 2 serves the best breast of duck I have ever tasted.

• Stayed: May 2014
#7 of 41 in Bar Harbor
The Birches Bed and Breakfast
The Birches Bed and Breakfast
#4 of 11 in Southwest Harbor

Been to The Harbour Cottage Inn? Share your experiences!