“Nice spot for dinner”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 14 June 2014

The Dry Dock is right on Main Street in Southwest Harbor where you can't miss it. The menu is good and the ambience very nice. There weren't too many people when we were there so it was not noisy at all - a lot like this part of the island.

Islandlocal90, Owner at Cafe Dry Dock & Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank you very much for your review. We have been a little slow starting this year but that will all change shortly. We are gathering up the best in items for our menu. Thanks again.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

To date we've dinned at the Dry Dock twice, and my wife and her friends a few more times. In fact, I understand they had a hard time getting one of her buddies out as she drank herself to sleep; something about Happy Hour and the Mussels. Maybe that's how they lure the ladies in!

Seriously, the food there is great. The lobster, ***scallops, and salmon dishes stand out. And I remember the potatoes as being fresh and well seasoned. And the baked stuff haddock was delicious!

The last time we dined there was during their closing week, just before Halloween. Despite their limited menu the haddock dish was pleasant and well prepared. They were out of stock on beers, but the waitress offered to do a beer run for us, and that made my day. So am looking forward to dining at the Dry Dock as soon as we return to SWH.

Islandlocal90, Owner at Cafe Dry Dock & Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

I love your review and thank you. The ladies "Happy Hour" was really a nice touch. All our lobsters and scallops are caught here just off the island, salmon comes from the midcoast. Seafood is our biggest seller as we have many of the items available around the island as mussels and oysters. The baked stuffed haddock is our #1 selling dish and has been on the menu for as long as I can remember. We grow a some of our produce in our gardens specializing in our tomatoes with a mix of traditional and heirloom. We close a couple days before Halloween and it is very handy to have a liquor store nearby. I take advantage of this when someone wants something special or we just run out. Thanks again for the great review and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Our first night in Southwest Harbor found us strolling through the downtown area looking for a place for dinner. We chose the Cafe Dry Dock and were not disappointed. We started out with a glass of wine as we awaited our meals of seafood. Great service and wonderful food. Scallops are not to be missed.

Islandlocal90, Owner at Cafe Dry Dock & Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Thank you for your review and stopping in to try our restaurant. We know seafood and as we are a short distance to the harbor, seafood is our biggest seller. The number one selling dinner is scallops which are caught locally. A lot of our seafood products are landed at the docks in our town and delivered to us either from fishermen or local dealers. At 16 I was cleaning fish and selling all types of seafood at a local market. My grandfather considered lobster poor man's food as only poor people ate lobster during the 1910-20's. You could buy it for next to nothing in Portland and also pick them up along the many beaches in Maine. My grandparents taught me all about local seafood products as we grew up near the ocean, which provided us with many items as long as you knew how to catch or dig them, and tell the difference between eatable seaweed. The ocean also put food on the table for my family during the depression. Thanks again for visiting us.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

We visited this Café Dry Dock three times on our latest trip to MDI. First timer was a very busy weekend for lunch. Four of us were seated at a table for 6. Had a great lunch. Second visit we walked out when we were shown a table in the back of the restaurant next to a stand with a tub of dirty dishes. It was 2:30 in the afternoon on a Monday well after the lunch crowd would be arriving. When we asked to be seated at the same table for 6 we were told we were not a party of 6 so the table we were shown was our only option. When I mentioned our experience to the front desk at Harbor Ridge I was told that basically it was the end of the season they were closing the next week and did not care. The third visit was a Friday evening and we went to dinner with family who lives locally and requested we go there. Our party of seven was crammed into the table for 6. We will be hard pressed to return next year even though the food is amazing.

Islandlocal90, Owner at Cafe Dry Dock & Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Thank you for your review and let me clarify some of your issues. We are one of the last restaurants to stay open and by the time you were here almost every restaurant was closed. As others close we become extremely busy as we are the only game in town. We elect to stay open as we are the largest restaurant in town and the locals make up a big part of our business along with tourists. There are very few places to go after we close in town and we stay open as long as we financially can. The tables at the front of the restaurant are for large parties and normally four people would not be set there. The exception would be to seat you there and when the next two people come in, also seat them with you. Whoever sat you there must have felt that it was slow enough to be able to do that. As the owner I have told our staff not to put less than five at those front tables under any circumstances. I may have sat you, or my wife, as our staff knows they will have to address this with our manager or myself if they seat less at the front tables. I expect them to do as they are told. Our lunch crowd goes until 3:30 and we need those large tables for big groups. I'm sorry but that is the way it is. Most restaurants follow suit and this is more the norm. We do not store dirty dishes next to tables. The cart contained clean flatware in the tub, table napkins, and bread plates. All dirty dishes are taken off the tables and put out in the dish washing station. On your third visit from the way you were seated it appears that there was no other seating as we put you all together. Most customers would rather do this than be split up at different tables. We can normally join tables, and do quite often, but the last few weeks of Oct. were very busy for us. We care what everyone thinks and we also want everyone to have and good experience here. I will be discussing the "care" remark with the staff at Harbor Ridge. I hope you will come back and join us for lunch or dinner as we know you like the food. Call ahead and make a reservation, that way we can seat you where you will be comfortable. We are sorry that it happened this way and don't want you to skip us on your next visit. John and Marty Williams.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Dining on MDI is very much part of the Acadia experience. The seafood, by and large, is far better than anything you can find at home (especially in the midwest) though, it must be said, not all restaurants here are equal. The Dry Dock I'm pleased to say is exceptional. The atmosphere is warm and casual but it's the food that warrants the 5 star rating, especially the mussels. We've eaten here many times over the years and never had a bad meal. This last time however (early October) was exceptional. The mussels were perfect. Thanks Dry Dock; we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Islandlocal90, Owner at Cafe Dry Dock & Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Thank you for your great review. Mussels are at their best in the fall and have all summer to plump up. In May and June they spawn and are not the quality as they can be in the fall. This is also true for lobsters and other shellfish. We buy are mussels directly from a harvester/dealer that has supplied us with in my opinion the best in the world. They are raised in the deep cold waters of Blue Hill Bay and we only buy small amounts so we are turning them over every few days. Many of our customers come here for our mussels and the different ways we serve them. A real advantage of living on this island is we have fresh seafood all around us and live in a fishing community. Thank you again for your review.