“Inspiring Story, Beautiful Museum Exhibit”

Wendell Gilley Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover where people, art and nature meet in Maine. The Wendell Gilley Museum is a community center that celebrates the life and work of Wendell Gilley, a pioneer in the field of decorative bird carving. It teaches the art of bird carving and presents art exhibitions and educational programs with a special focus on people, nature and art. Enjoy a casual visit, enroll in a workshop, or join our members' carving club. Discover one of the "hidden gems" of Mount Desert Island.
Reviewed 9 August 2014

The story of Wendell Gilley, and his 'birds' will warm your heart and inspire your family. We took our family to visit on a rainy day in Maine, and we were not disappointed. Admission is affordable for all, and the exhibits beautifully arranged, and enjoyable. I didn't think I had any interest in 'bird carvings' but I was pleasantly surprised and so was my family.

1  Thank Bauer E
GilleyMuseum, Executive Director at Wendell Gilley Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thank you for your review; it warms OUR hearts when visitors truly "get" what we are trying to share. Inspired by our namesake, Wendell Gilley, we strive to make connections between people, nature and art. We hope to connect with you and your family in the future.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We just happened upon the Gallery and wandered in. One of the craftsmen sat down with me and taught me how to carve a small bird.

GilleyMuseum, Exec at Wendell Gilley Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

We are glad you found us and that you were able to have a hands-on experience. Introductory carving lessons, day-long workshops as well as longer classes and a members' carving club are offered at the Gilley Museum. See the education page on our Website for more information:

Reviewed 26 July 2014

I have visited the museum twice which must mean that I like it a lot. The place is a hidden gem that is never crowded but it should be because I can not think of any museum that has what this one has. The displays are well organized and the carvings are amazing. I wish that I could have the opportunity of taking some of their courses but alas I live too far from Southwest Harbor.

We are going to be in the Bar Harbor twice this year - once with my granddaughters and once off a cruise. We are certainly going to take the kids so that they can experience this marvelous place.

I have several bird carvings at home including one that I purchased at the museum.

If you are in Bar Harbor, don't forget to experience Southwest Harbor and the Gilley Museum.

We are so glad that you don't think of the Gilley Museum as a "been there, done that" kind of place. There is always something new to see and do and we enjoy welcoming returning visitors back as friends.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Stopped in here at the end of a rainy day. I wasn't sure what to expect and was pleasantly surprised. The carvings are amazing and represent so many birds in their natural habitat. Ended up purchasing a wall mounted carving depicting some of our favorite birds. What a great souvenir to take home. So much more meaningful (in my opinion) than a T-shirt!
I think kids would love this place as much as adults do.

GilleyMuseum, Executive Director at Wendell Gilley Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

We're so glad that the Wendell Gilley Museum helped your rainy day shine. We hope you think of us when you look at the carving you acquired and smile at the memory. Thank you for sharing your experience and encouraging others to visit. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back, rain or shine, next time you are in Southwest Harbor. Our exhibits and programs change every year, so there's always something new to see and traditions to renew.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Wonderful bird carvings. Great video of the carver in whose name the museum is dedicated. In house bird carver. Great shop.

So glad you enjoyed yourself; thank you for helping the Wendell Gilley Museum be a little LESS hidden, by spreading the word. We appreciate the people who take the time to make their way to our door and do our best to share the joys of bird carving, art and nature with them. We hope you return again and again.