“More than just a memory”
Review of Five Horseshoes

Five Horseshoes
Reserve with OpenTable
Five Horseshoes is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$0 - US$45
Good for: View, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 9 March 2014

There seems to be more than enough great current reviews of the food & drink at the Five Horseshoes. Needless to say that our visit a few days ago was a delightful interlude as we passed through the Chilterns. Lovely food & perfect Brakspears. Ahh!

Perhaps one other word though about the Pub and Russell’s Water Common. I find myself reminiscing that it must be more than thirty years since we first visited this fantastic spot. In the intervening years little has changed to spoil the Pub and the area. The Pub sits atop the Chiltern escarpment not more than 15 mins drive from Henley and a similar distance from J5 of the M40 yet is tranquil and next to the best open English heathland I know. Stunning views all around. I hope the Five Horseshoes will continue to prosper and will be appreciated by future generations. A true classic English pub.

1  Thank Real-Provence
Tracey T, Owner at Five Horseshoes, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

It's great to read of your love of the Chilterns and our beautiful countryide, and even more so that you enjoyed your recent visit to The Five Horseshoes. Thanks so much for your review.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

This is a pub with a superb location and serving top-end pub restaurant food. Most food is sourced locally and our favourite is always the locally sourced venison. We have had several excellent meals there overlooking the view or in front of the log fire.

Thanks for taking the time to share your views. I am so pleased that you enjoy coming to The Five Horseshoes and that you enjoy our local venison which is a very popular dish. Hope to see you again before long. Tracey Taverner

Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

I think when you look at these reviews you must use common sense. Evidently if a pub is busy you will wait a bit but obviously the company you bring should be able to hold a conversation surely?!? I love not being hurried and enjoying the log fire, a lovely glass of wine, bread and my husband's company. I also love the food EVERY time. If I go anywhere else I am disappointed. The sole and butter sauce was delicious last time. Book a table, take great people, enjoy your evening

1  Thank Swizzle11

Thnaks for your lovely review, we are so pleased that you enjoyed your meal with us. See you again soon I hope, Tracey Taverner

Reviewed 2 February 2014

We had a fabulous traditional Sunday roast in this delightful 17th Century family-run country pub. The place was buzzing with families, dogs and walkers and the staff bent over backwards to serve us without being invasive. We ordered roast beef (succulent), roast pork (crispy crackling) and haunch of venison (served pink). All were delicious and came with a selection of fresh vegetables including kale, broccoli and carrots. Our dogs were offered a big bowl of water in the pub area which was great. When you've had your lunch, drive along the road for about a quarter of a mile and walk in the open spaces at the top of the Stonor valley for stunning views.

1  Thank SarahLiveing
Tracey T, Owner at Five Horseshoes, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Thank you so much for your review. We were are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your lunch and had a nice time with your lovely dogs. Look forward to seeing you again. Kind regards, Tracey Taverner

Reviewed 12 January 2014

Having to wait over an hour before first course was served, then needing to return my Grandson's food due to under-cooking is just not on.

No more to add.

Will not return.

1  Thank shelford
Tracey T, Owner at Five Horseshoes, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

I am sorry to read of your disappointment, I have checked the time your order was taken and it was under 45 minutes from ordering to getting your food but Im sorry that you felt you waited too long. Sundays are very busy for us and with food being cooked to order sometimes a wait is experienced with larger tables such as yours. Your grandson's food was replaced immediately and was back at the table within 2 minutes of the mistake being identified, I apologise for the error. Thank you for your valuable feedback.