“Great start, great views etc.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Five Horseshoes

Five Horseshoes
Reserve with OpenTable
Five Horseshoes is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$0 - US$44
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: View, Child-friendly, Kids, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London, United Kingdom
“Great start, great views etc.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

A fleeting visit after being drenched during a long walk. The location is excellent and no doubt unchanged over many long years at the end of the vast Russell's Water Common with its wonderful views over the Chilterns.

Seemed a cosy pub with character. Brakspeares on tap, although I tried their home made finer beer instead. Fizzy and tangy, but not quite gingery. Definetely one to return to in better weather under more relaxed circumstances.

Visited April 2014
Tracey T, Owner at Five Horseshoes, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit to our Pub. Thank you for coming and for sharing your experience. I hope we have the pleasure of seeing you again. Kind regards, Tracey

Bray-on-Thames, United Kingdom
“Poor dining experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

We tried this pub today for lunch but thought it was overall poor .The waiting staff are unfriendly and none of them appear to enjoy what they do .The whole operation appears to be a shambles the only thing going for it is the location but it badly needs money spending on the interior .Could be a great place in the right hands .

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Richings55
Tracey T, Owner at Five Horseshoes, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
I was surprised to read this review and do not understand how you have left with such a bad impression.
Roussillon, France
“More than just a memory”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

There seems to be more than enough great current reviews of the food & drink at the Five Horseshoes. Needless to say that our visit a few days ago was a delightful interlude as we passed through the Chilterns. Lovely food & perfect Brakspears. Ahh!

Perhaps one other word though about the Pub and Russell’s Water Common. I find myself reminiscing that it must be more than thirty years since we first visited this fantastic spot. In the intervening years little has changed to spoil the Pub and the area. The Pub sits atop the Chiltern escarpment not more than 15 mins drive from Henley and a similar distance from J5 of the M40 yet is tranquil and next to the best open English heathland I know. Stunning views all around. I hope the Five Horseshoes will continue to prosper and will be appreciated by future generations. A true classic English pub.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Real-Provence
Tracey T, Owner at Five Horseshoes, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
It's great to read of your love of the Chilterns and our beautiful countryide, and even more so that you enjoyed your recent visit to The Five Horseshoes. Thanks so much for your review.
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
“Suberb local venison”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

This is a pub with a superb location and serving top-end pub restaurant food. Most food is sourced locally and our favourite is always the locally sourced venison. We have had several excellent meals there overlooking the view or in front of the log fire.

• Visited September 2013
Tracey T, Owner at Five Horseshoes, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Thanks for taking the time to share your views. I am so pleased that you enjoy coming to The Five Horseshoes and that you enjoy our local venison which is a very popular dish. Hope to see you again before long. Tracey Taverner
London, United Kingdom
“The best place to eat in Oxfordshire”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

I think when you look at these reviews you must use common sense. Evidently if a pub is busy you will wait a bit but obviously the company you bring should be able to hold a conversation surely?!? I love not being hurried and enjoying the log fire, a lovely glass of wine, bread and my husband's company. I also love the food EVERY time. If I go anywhere else I am disappointed. The sole and butter sauce was delicious last time. Book a table, take great people, enjoy your evening

1 Thank Swizzle11
Tracey T, Owner at Five Horseshoes, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Thnaks for your lovely review, we are so pleased that you enjoyed your meal with us. See you again soon I hope, Tracey Taverner