“A wonderful dining experience!”
Review of Kitchen Garden - CLOSED

Kitchen Garden
Price range: US$24 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Caribbean
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Windham, Maine
“A wonderful dining experience!”
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Alvah and Jessie, the owners of the Kitchen Garden, offer a unique dining experience. They invite you into their home with friendliness and fine food. Everything is fresh and they try to use organic ( often grown by them). The only requirement is a reservation and letting them know what you want for your courses (salad, entree, and dessert). This insures freshness and quality
service as well. There is a corkage fee which many restaurants require when liquor is not part of the menu. Our dining experience was above great and we would highly recommend a trip to the Kitchen Garden in the tiny Maine town of Steuben.

• Visited August 2012
4 Thank SusanAtt

Maine
“Fabulous Hidden Gem!”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

The Kitchen Garden is one of our go-to special-treat restaurants. Jessie and Alva, the hosts/owners/chefs welcome you into their home and serve the most wonderful meals with graciousness and warmth. I've never had anything less than stellar there. All the food is locally sourced--much of it from the owners' own garden. Fresh-baked bread served in handmade baskets, beautiful food presentation, interesting menu options. Bring your own wine (there is a small corkage fee) and enjoy a fabulous meal in a lovely setting.

• Visited July 2012
3 Thank RareTravelerMaine
San Francisco, California, United States
“Consistently amazing”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Kitchen Garden is a gem of a place, tucked into a lovely home in the charming town of Steuben, ME. The gardens, house, and cuisine skillfully reflect the best of local flavor (with a kick of Jamaica thrown in). I've eaten there every summer for at least five years, and have always been amazed by how attentively Jessie and Alva attend to each diner, as well as to each plate, creating an experience that is fresh and full of love. I look forward to it every summer, and love selecting each course from their menu before hand so I have the whole day to anticipate the delicious meal. Theirs is one of the very few restaurants in the area that actually uses the abundant local produce. I visit Downeast Maine from my home in the city of San Francisco where we have no shortage of local cuisine using the freshest California produce. Well, Kitchen Garden is doing exactly that, right where they're planted and impressing me every time. I wouldn't miss it for the world, and highly recommend it.

• Visited August 2012
3 Thank Amy S
Maine
“Wonderful Food, Great People”
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We save our trips to Kitchen Garden for special occasions and we have never been disappointed. The food is always fresh, nicely presented and delicious. The owners are friendly, courteous and always willing to be sure we are satisfied with our dinner. Food is raised there as much as possible and source locally otherwise. It is a small and intimate restaurant, you are in their home.
Try it. I am sure you will like it.

• Visited September 2011
3 Thank Pauline A
Milbridge, Maine
“Fine Dining”
Reviewed 6 August 2012

My two experiences at The Kitchen Garden have been vastly different than the review I just read. The meals were well prepared, presented, and very much enjoyed.

• Visited July 2012