“Great Eco boat trip!”

Old Quarry Ocean Adventures
Ranked #2 of 14 things to do in Stonington
More attraction details
Owner description: We welcome you to visit one of the most extraordinary places on the coast of Maine. The Deer Isle-Stonington archipelago in Penobscot Bay is a unique and breathtaking area, home to the largest concentration of bald eagles in the lower 48 States, and over 60 uninhabited islands. It is well known to be the destination of choice for kayakers, sailors, campers, and any nature enthusiast. People from all over the world come to this place because of the quiet, un-spoiled and awe-inspiring environment. They come to Old Quarry because we provide the perfect access to this magical body of water, where seals and porpoises thrive and sea birds are abundant, where historic windjammers sail, and lighthouses stand stalwartly on rocky cliffs as sentinels of the night.
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My husband and I had a great trip with Captain Bill. We were the only passengers so had a very individualized experience. He is knowledgable about the area and very environmentally oriented. The scenery of the Bay and coastline is stunning! We ordered lobster rolls to go, and they were great, too. I definitely recommend this as a lovely way to see the area and spend an afternoon!

2  Thank Donna S

Reviewed 10 February 2014

My kayak buddies and I have been going up to spend a week at Old Quarry for four years running, and we are planning to go again this year. Captain Bill and his staff do a great job all around. Old Quarry is right on the water, and it offers all the amenities anyone could ask for in a campground.

Captain Bill has been very helpful to us in planning our kayak trips. One year, he shuttled us out on his lobster boat to the north end of the Isle au Haut. This allowed us to circumnavigate the island for our longest kayak adventure ever -- 23+ miles.

The camp store has all those things you forgot! If you need a chart of the islands, they have them, as well as suggested routes for day paddles. After a day of paddling, Captain Bill will cook up a lobster dinner for you to enjoy.

If you like to kayak, just go. You will never find a more beautiful place to paddle. There are dozens of islands to explore!

2  Thank George P
Reviewed 27 January 2014

My boyfriend and I are nature / kayak enthusiasts and were looking for a down to earth experience. The campsites are a dream! and our sunrise paddles through the rocky islands were an experience we'll never forget.

1  Thank Rebecca R
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Three of us spent a fine afternoon on Captain Bill's renovated lobster boat. I felt we were in good hands here, based on his years of experience, and after seeing the quality of his boat and learning about his brand new engine. He seemed plenty willing to share and answered all our questions. The view of Stonington from the water is breathtaking. On our tour we saw a lighthouse and stopped at a small island where we got off the boat and took a short walk to an old granite quarry. As much as I enjoyed myself and the company, there wasn't any particular "wow" moment to the trip.

4  Thank Susan P
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I'm torn here. I think this guy runs a fine business. He clearly is doing very, very well for himself and is pretty much the only game in town. That does not, however, give one the right to relax on simple good-business practices. Organization. Respect. Value. Clarity. These are things that are grossly lacking here.

That being said, on arrival it is immediately clear that he does a lot of repeat business. Other "campers" are frequently found hanging around the shop chatting with Captain Bill. I'm left wondering what it is that brings these people back for second, third or fourth visits. Frankly, I couldn't wait to get through with my first.

I made reservations for an "overflow" camping site for two nights. It was described as a spot big enough to pitch a tent, no fire ring, no table. OK, fair enough. I was planning to be out doing stuff anyway.

On arrival I was directed to a parking space in the parking lot that had gravel laid out a few feet more in front of it than the rest. Yes, it was a parking space essentially and from the bumper of the car parked IN IT to the woods was MAYBE five feet. I reluctantly started to set up my tent and soon realized there was no way it was going to fit.

Back to the office I went and was told that one night in the bunkhouse was available and so was the next night in an actual camping spot complete with fire pit and adequate tenting site. OK, maybe a little redemption here...but read on.

Bunkhouse night went OK. Next came the trip to Isle au Haut. On their website it's titled "Hike & Bike Isle au Haut" and specifically states: "The [boat] will drop you off with a map at the Isle au Haut town landing in the morning." OK, no map was offered (it would have been REALLY, REALLY helpful) and as the boat was pulling away half of the group was left asking "did they say what time to be back?"

Isle au Haut is not worth the trip IMHO. Especially not for the money you'll spend at the Old Quarry to get there with bikes ($120 for 2). I would have bought the map at their well-equipped camp store were it not explicitly stated on their website that one would be given to us. But after walking around seeing price tags/solicitations on everything I should not have been surprised that one wasn't.

Back to camp that night I'm exhausted from my Bataan Death Peddle around IAH and looking forward to having a real tent site ON GRASS or at the very least soft ground (isn't that where most people camp anyway?). Into the office to confirm the details of what we had discussed thrice the evening before and guess what? The site was given away during the day to someone he calls by first name - I assume a friend. I'm walked down the lane to another gravel spot along the road. Here it is that I spent my last uncomfortable night in Stonington.

I had actually planned to stay all day and rent kayaks to go out and do some paddling but at 0530hrs when cars started driving by and people walking by talking woke me from my gravel bed I had had enough. I packed up and left. Left the whole GD state of Maine. Vacation over.

Bottom line: I'm not going back. A lot of people do and I have no idea why. If you're ready to spend a lot of money and have the agreeable demeanor of a perpetually stoned love child then by all means check this place out and roll iwth whatever comes your way. Bring an air mattress though for your own sake.

6  Thank USMC076