“Does it get better than this? I can't imagine how!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Boyce s Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stonington
Boyce s Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stonington
Pittsford, Vermont
“Does it get better than this? I can't imagine how!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

I am an off season vacationer who travels with her pup. As an older single woman traveling with her dog it is difficult and usually expensive to find accommodations. When you do it is usually a very basic room and a costly nightly fee is charged. Not the case at Boyce's.
I have been to Stonington many times but had never stayed there. I called and made a reservation sight unseen at Boyce's and relied on the person making the reservation to choose a suitable room.
I couldn't have been happier. My little "cottage" was perfect for those very early morning walks with my dog without disturbing anyone else, and allowed me to make most of my meals in my kitchen saving me a lot of money.
The place was scrupulously clean with comfortable beds and lovely linens. The big fat, fluffy towels were the best! The kitchen was supplied with every tool you would need to make your meals. It also had a small personal deck with an umbrella-covered table and chairs. There was a view of the harbor from my deck and also from my small table in front of the patio doors.
Although any one of these things would keep me coming back, Boyce's best asset is Barrett. He gave me guidance on hiking trails that allowed dogs and weren't too taxing for me. He also advised me on restaurants where I would feel comfortable dining alone and the advantages of each. I had an incident with my dog while I was there when I needed a weekend emergency visit to a vet. I received a phone call later that evening from Barrett to inquire how Lucy was doing. If I would meet him on the street, or in passing he would greet me by my name with a big smile. I like everything about Boyce's, but it is Barrett, and his attentive and personal touch that will keep me coming back whenever I am anywhere near that part of the Maine coast.

Room Tip: Personally, my Rm 8 was great for me traveling with a dog, but from what I have seen of Boyce's...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Elle R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Bainbridge, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2012

Room 8, the cottage, was perfect for my husband and I. Clean, comfortable, convenient. It had fantastic beds, sink, stove, washer-dryer, microwave, frig, toaster, coffeemaker, cookware, silverware, dinnerware...but we brought paper plates, etc. to avoid having to wash most dishes. Boyce's even supplied dish and clothes detergent + bottled water. We felt absolutely pampered.
When we didn't feel like eating at a local restaurant, we bought items from the Burnt Cove Market and ate in. We enjoyed and helped support the store, Island Advances, financially!! Several times we visited Bar Harbor, Acadia, Schoodic, drove around Deer Isle, Castine, Blue Hill, etc. or just enjoyed walking the streets of Stonington or watching the fishing boats unload their catch. We had a wonderful vacation-anniversary!

Room Tip: The cottage is great for 2 people and has a parking lot near by.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Bessie K
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

It's the little details that make Boyce's Motel different from the other places we stayed at on our trip to Maine. The bedding is clean, but it's also good quality. The sort you'd expect in a 4-star hotel, not a motel. The towels are big and fluffy. Brand-name toiletries in the bathroom. There's a coffee maker with mugs, but also wine glasses and a bottle opener. The rooms are decorated like guest rooms in someone's home, rather than places to rent out to strangers.

We got some lobsters from a local fisherman. The owner, Barrett, got us a massive pot to cook them and some crackers and forks. He advised us on where to go hiking.

I can't think of a single thing I didn't like about this motel. Would love to stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room didn't have a porch, but there's a small private deck across the street where you c...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rainbowcarnage
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012

Do you know that little axiom about hotels that there are 4 things to look for and you can only have 3? There is excellent location, an affordable stay, incredible amenities, and excellent service; but you can only expect 3 of the 4 at any given property. Well the Boyces delivers on all 4; location, affordability, amenities, and service. This motel is located in the heart of Stonington village, you can park your car and walk to everything in town, and many rooms have views of the harbor across the street, and if yours doesn't, there is a private dock overlooking the harbor exclusively for motel guests. I have been staying here once a year as a "staycation" (it's about 30 minutes from my summer home) while my daughters work on the island each summer. Certainly a 1/2 hour is not to long to drive each day, but the affordability of this motel makes it worth it to me to stay a couple of nights and enjoy this authentic fishing town rather than commuting. Now on amenities, this is no modern hotel with a pillow menu, flat screens and ipod docks. But although the buildings are rustic and resemble a 1950s style motel, there is ample fast free wifi, and the kitchens include everything you need to make a lobster dinner. When you have that, who needs a pillow menu?? But the reason I really keep coming back is the incredible service offered by Barrett Gray, the innkeeper. Barrett is the ultimate professional host; making sure guests have everything they need, welcoming returning guests like old friends and making sure new guests know exactly where to go to find the perfect beach, or the best place for inexpensive lobsters. Because I am alone on the deck for part of every day while my girls are working, I often overhear his interactions with guests and never fail to be impressed by the energy and level of service he provides. It's rare in the poshest resorts with their concierge lounges to find an individual with this much passion and knowledge and yet, here is Barrett at Boyces in Stonington and his service is 5 star, without any of the airs!!

Location: This is as real "Down East" Maine as you can get and still find a place to rent a room. Stonington has tourist amenities, but is still a working fishing village, and you will hear the boats leaving the harbor at dawn. There are several restaurants and shops within walking distances and the Stonington Opera House which offers professional theater programming from vaudeville to Shakespeare (and not a few things that defy explanation!). You can also walk to the Isle Au Haut ferry.
Most of the other guests are mature adults (40's to 80's), many repeat guests who return each year, but some new folks on a trip along the Maine coast. The area is a village, but the shops all close at 5 and restaurants not long after 10, and it's very quiet after 10 PM, as all the guests are respectful of "quiet hours". You will hear some morning traffic as fishermen head to the docks at dawn.

Rooms: This year we stayed in one of the apartments (room 10) accessed by a shared outdoor stair case with #11. The studio has a double bed, tiny, but full bath, fully equipped kitchen with microwave, full sized fridge, electric range, toaster and all the dishes. It also has a living area with a tv, sleep sofa and recliner. There is a large slider to the small private 1/2 balcony with a umbrella covered dining table and 4 chairs. (the other half has its on table and chairs and is part of room #11.) This unit (and #11) shares a building with #9, a larger apartment on the ground floor. The studio is small, and might be small for four adults who aren't very, very close, but for two adults or adults and kids, it's perfect! The bedroom area is separated from the living area by just a wall with an opening on one side and the kitchen is more or less part of the bedroom area. In other words, although there are a lot of amenities in the unit, they are packed in a very cozy space and the unit is very open (except for the bath). As always, everything is very clean and the daily housekeeping is excellent.

Things to do in the area:
Beaches and hikes: This isn't mile wide white sand beach country, but the coastline is a huge draw, and there is actually a nice sand beach within driving (or biking) distance, if you ask Barrett, he will tell you where! A kayaking tour is an excellent way to see the coast, or for the less active, a boat tour; try Old Quarry Ocean Adventures for either of these guided tours.
Also, pick up a copy of a map with all the walking trails on the island from Barrett- there are walks on public land all over the island, many right along the coast line.

Shopping: Taking a ride around the island along route 15 is always fun, be sure to stop at my favorites, Harbor Farms, unique crafts and gifts in Little Deer Isle (Rt 15 before the causeway), Nervous Nellie's jams and jellies (on Sunshine Road off of 15) which has locally made jams and jellies, and a cafe but is also the outdoor "gallery" for Peter Berits amazing found object sculptures and tableaus. If you are looking for fresh fish to cook up or bring home, make a stop at Stonington Sea Products (rt 15 just before the Village) for fresh or smoked seafood of all types.

Dining: Harbor Cafe right in town offers no nonsense food with no nonsense service. It's where local folks go for food, so you know its good and fairly priced.
If you happen to be in town on a summer Friday morning, the Stonington Farmers market is huge, with crafts, farm fresh veggies and fruits, bakery and prepared foods and picnic options, including locally made Indian specialties and smoked meats

Entertainment: See what's going on at the Stonington Opera House while you are visiting. Most weekends all year long, there is a live performance or movie. In the summer, there are live performances or movies nearly every night of the week! If you happen to be there on a summer Wednesday night, check out the Live for $5- an eclectic mix of performances planned every Wednesday night, and you can't beat the price!

Room Tip: Standard motel rooms 1-6, other rooms have different combinations of studio amenities.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank familygoBoston
Loudonville, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

My wife and I have stayed at Boyce's several times in early Sept. The innkeeper Barrett does everything possible to make your stay in Stonington enjoyable. He has a wealth of information about Deer Isle and what to do, where to buy lobster and clams etc. When we went sea kayaking we left a float plan for our trip with Barrett. If we did not arrive back at the stated time he was ready to send the coast guard to search for us. The housekeeping folks keep the rooms spotless. Is so nice to make a meal and then have it on the deck right on the water. This is a working fisherman's village. Approxiimatly one third of the entire state's lobster catch comes into Stonington and you can watch the boats unload their catch. You can watch the fisherman leave for the sea but you have to be up about 4am to watch them leave. The sea kayaking is superb. There are dozens of islands to explore, some just a short paddle from the town dock. There are so many island that the seas are relatively calm on most days. You must watch out for the wakes of passing lobsterboats but most boats slow down when they pass you. There are a few nice restaurants in town. The Harbor Cafe is right next to Boyces and the meals are just wonderful with downeast hospitality thrown in. If you like to hike take the mail boat out to Isle au Haut. The ride takes about 45 minutes and the island has miles of hiking trials along the classic rocky coast. The only problem we discovered was there are two right handed oven mits in the pantry! All and all a great place to visit.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Port Ewen, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2012

Just returned from another great vacation in Stonington. We love Boyce's and have stayed here many times.This year, my favorite apartment was already booked ( in January!), so our family had
3 different rooms. Fortunately ,we were able to book the smallest apartment which still had kitchen facilities so we could have our annual lobster feasts !! Barrett and his staff are SO accomodating, helpful ,friendly, they make sure you have everything you need for a wonderful stay. The location is perfect, right in the center of town, right on the harbor so you can walk everywhere. The rooms are spotless and well kept. Another terrific and relaxing vacation...Maine at its BEST !! Thank you Barrett !

Room Tip: The rooms on the side street are a little quieter..since this is a working fishing village, the fish...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

We've been staying at Boyce's for over 20 years and it is a consistently well run establishment in the prime location of Stonington. All the little touches add up: the wine glasses, nice coffee mugs (no styrofoam!!), a corkscrew, a well stocked coffee/tea basket, an iron and ironing board, nice coverlets on the beds, mounds of fluffy pillows. And Boyce's is always immaculately clean and yet with no harse chemical smell from cleaning products. No phoney air fresheners to deal with either, those are a killer for people with allergies.
Barrett, the owner, has a lot of savoir faire and connects well with people. He obviously enjoys running the place, he can be seen doing a bit of everything....dead heading flowers, watering plants, petting one of his lovely on site cats. He has a lot of positive energy and he makes guests feel comfortable and valued for their business. Even if I had twice as much money to spend I would still stay at Boyce's, it just has a winning formula of Old Maine, right near the waterfront.

Room Tip: The rooms up along the driveway are a bit roomier and parking is closer. The large apartment suite i...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marialulu
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stonington
Lindenwood Inn
#4 of 10 in Camden
Point Lookout Resort
Point Lookout Resort
#1 of 1 in Northport

Been to Boyce s Motel? Share your experiences!